It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Tragedy Happened Today, Not an Opportunity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Pray for them, light a candle for them, help them, or don't do anything. But, for goodness sake, don't politicize them. You become less human than that person that committed this act of violence when you do that, and it sickens me how many people, on both sides of the argument, will use this as a political tool.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Whenever I see something like this it warms my heart. I agree with you completely.

Though I'm always taken back to what Gordon Brown did, it's a massively revealing situation, one that depressingly shows just how easy it is for politicians and anyone to completely politicise something terrible.

Gordon Brown was heard calling a woman who asked him a genuine question (about heating bills I think) a bigoted old woman, he was heard saying it on mic and the embarrassment was huge, so what happened? Nothing. He went TO HER HOUSE and has a cup of tea, turning himself into the good guy and making everyone ELSE look like they're in the wrong. It was unbelievable. But it was telling....
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

People will no doubt say that shootings happen because guns are constitutionally allowed. Not so, they happen because evil people tend to be cowards and a little bit nuts. Even if guns were illegal they'd still be used 'legally' to kill poor children overseas...... But..... Oh wait..... They're 'nonepeople' right.... Forgot about that. Hypocrisy abounds.
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Unfortunately the left already sees this as an opportunity not to be wasted. IIRC, it was an incident like this that cost the Australians their guns.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

So 18 children were murdered in yet another horrific SHOOTING, and you think it's unreasonable to talk about gun legislation? Seems to me to be the only reasonable thing to discuss.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by boot2theface

So 18 children were murdered in yet another horrific SHOOTING, and you think it's unreasonable to talk about gun legislation? Seems to me to be the only reasonable thing to discuss.

Another day, definitely, but not when their bodies aren't even cold yet. Thanks for underscoring my point. You played your part perfectly.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
Pray for them, light a candle for them, help them, or don't do anything. But, for goodness sake, don't politicize them. You become less human than that person that committed this act of violence when you do that, and it sickens me how many people, on both sides of the argument, will use this as a political tool.

/TOA

As adversarial as we are. As different our opinions. As often as we argue... At this moment you have my complete respect and agreement.

Good on you Sir.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by crkking
This day will always be remembered because of the actions of a coward. How many people will be remembered because of the actions of heroes.

I woke up with Wolf Blitzer talking about this on CNN. Made me sick. Not a good way to wake up. 5 minutes of that is all one needs to get the point so I changed the channel.

People need to start being more pro-active with these sorts of things and finding a solution to this sort of problem. Children are the most important resource we have. We need to keep them protected and educated at all times. I see a day coming when public schools are a thing of the past and school districts start taking measures to teach their curriculum to students in the safety of their own homes. A cross between home schooling and public education. If a district doesn't have the finances to provide computers to students, the vast majority of which own computers anyway, they can always set up a "host house" where a certain number of students can go and share the resources. Get the teachers to be "host parents", or something similar, so you know there's someone qualified to oversee everything. One of the main advantages to this is that everything would be on private property. Someone's house. City councils may have to create a brand new zone for these types of set-ups, somewhere between business and private, to where the legalities on that end are taken care of, but that would be a small price to pay IMO.

People might say "Well what happened today was an exception to the rule. No need to go to extremes" I don't care if it's an exception to the rule or not. 28 children victims are 28 too many. Or my favorite argument: " Don't let emotions rule your decisions" Sorry, but if you don't feel emotions about something like THIS then you're dead inside. People need to stop talking about what went wrong and start talking about what we can do to keep this from happening again. Something realistic that can implemented without too many rules and regulations getting involved.

Those sorts of things tend to bog things down anyway.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

/TOA

As adversarial as we are. As different our opinions. As often as we argue... At this moment you have my complete respect and agreement.

Good on you Sir.

~Heff

I only just saw the thread you started, which I agree with, of course. Our squabbles are about opinions and perspective. On items of true substance I am certain we agree more than disagree. Thank you.

/TOA
edit on 14-12-2012 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Here's some legislation. Teachers should be issued M16 rifles and kept in their school lockers like they are in Israel.

Since were on the subject of legislation. Shall you and I discuss legislation against bombing and aerial attacks in Afghanistan? After all, how many dead children did we tally last month? Was it 47 or 48?

The sins of the fathers will always visit the children..
edit on 12/14/1212 by foodstamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Another day, definitely, but not when their bodies aren't even cold yet. Thanks for underscoring my point. You played your part perfectly.

/TOA

I understand your angle completely. Even agree with you somewhat. But haven't we had enough "inaction"? Haven't we sat by many times over the years as crazies tore apart our schools? Haven't we watched enough innocent people die at the hands of a madman enough times that maybe we'd wake up with the inclination that maybe, just maybe, It's time to strap on your sidearm EVERYDAY and protect your fellow man?

I don't know about you lady. But I think the time for tears and the time for blaming our legislators and/or our gun control laws is over. It's time to stop this from happening EVER AGAIN!

You want someone to blame? Blame me, Blame yourself, blame every person who was able bodied and male that ran out of that school screaming like a sissy! And above all, blame the lunatic coward who perpetrated this disaster. The one thing we should NOT be doing right now is holding our heads down in mourning. We've done that way too many times already to no avail. It's time for action! it's time to assess how far you will go to protect yourself and other from harm. It's time to take a little bit of the "blame" and make a promise to yourself that this will never happen again.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

And yet, that is exactly what Fox News, CNN, and the others do when it is All Shooting All the Time. Today for instance, that is ALL they talked about for an hour despite the fact that a lot of it was "we don't know that much yet" Great, focus on other news and other important things going on in the world until you do. But they don't, that is part of our reality TV, slow down to rubberneck an accident society.

But, I'm assuming your OP gripe is about the people saying it was gun control or mind control instead of a tragedy. Fine, feel that way, but also realize that what you are complaining about is exactly what the MSM does every single time something like this happens.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Man Injures 22 Children in Knife Attack at Chinese School
..article says that in spring of 2011, knife attacks in China left 20 dead and 80 injured.

Guns(orKnives)Don'tKill,PeopleDo.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

So, in case you missed it.... politicizing to say that "guns did it"... is a moot argument, and actually skirts the point that a crazed person murdered those children- like the knife attacks in China.

BTW: who cares what "the motives" are... something that the media is obsessing about. Like I care how a crazed person justifies in his head committing those atrocious acts? There are no motives that can justify that kind of behavior.... only insanity and/or demons.

edit on 17/12/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join