It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans, Isn't It Time You Relinquished Your Weapons.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I knew this would be a highly difficult question to defend. I guess it's because I have grown up in a country that (for my life) has never had guns.

ALS

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
I knew this would be a highly difficult question to defend. I guess it's because I have grown up in a country that (for my life) has never had guns.

ALS

Which is also why I'm trying to explain and not slam you for it.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Sorry, but no way my friend. If I wanted that I'd simply leave the country. Instead I moved to one of the freest gun loving states in the country.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ShrewdThinking

I live in Australia and our Government has total control already and it is also being controlled by your Government
and I still dont see the need for a gun. Your Paranoia about the Government out to destroy your society props up your theory that you need a gun.
The right to bear arms makes me think of your Western Movies where all the gunslingers walked around with guns on their hip.
The US has not progressed from those times, you all think your John Wayne and your going to shoot the bad guys, the problem is you dont know who the real bad guy is and end up shooting each other.
It has a lot to do with your US propaganda machine they want you to bear arms, thats what creates the paranoia.
Make the people angry through economic hardship, let them own guns and sit back when all hell breaks loose and they start killing each other.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But your talking about an unnecessary freedom. A hammer is a tool to build, a gun is simply a tool to destroy.

Because of this "freedom" 20 children between the ages of 5 and 11 have lost their most important, most fundamental freedom. The freedom to live.

ALS

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeekerMike
Because some sicko shoots people I should hand over my guns?
Whatever.
Here read this: pjmedia.com...
"Crime in the UK is exploding at an alarming rate. According to recently released statistics, it’s the most violent place in the European Union. And those who parry that “it’s not as bad as the U.S.” — as so many do when talking crime statistics — are correct. The UK is worse."

We can all play around with statistics. Try this one:-

necpgv.blogspot.co.uk...

As it states at the bottom WOW

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Mexican cartels are taking over Mexico killing police, women, men, children, politicians, gang members, dogs, everyone and everything. And to think the US Gov't is personally selling them deadly weapons

Bottom line is, you can call for a ban of guns all you want but it won't stop someone from getting a gun and doing damage with it. Banning guns just takes guns out of the hands of good people while leaving the Gov't in complete power over its people. What ever your opinion is, it's a damn good thing Americans have guns. The US Gov't wants these weapons out of our hands. I don't trust my Gov't at all, let alone yours, the UK, the poster child for the Big Brother society, but I guess the USA is catching up.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Many people are calling for cigs to be banned.

And the reason we blame the gun (as well as the person) it because the sole purpose of a gun is to kill. It belongs on hunting grounds and battlefields NOT on the streets.

ALS

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Ok that's enough.

It's not because of our freedom to bear arms that this happened.

You need to rethink your logic here.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

You choose to smoke cigarettes, car accidents are exactly that - accidents, you choose to drink alcohol.
You dont necessarily choose to get shot by some thug wielding a gun.
No way is that comparable, A gun can shoot you dead from 50 feet or more, a knife cant do that.
I reiterate, I'd sooner take my chances with a knife, plus they come in handy when tucking in to a nice piece of porterhouse.
You cant cut up a porterhouse with a gun however you can blow it to the shizenhouse.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Your right it won't stop them but it will make it a lot harder and a lot easier for them to be caught before it happens.

ALS

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

You right it isn't the only reason but it is a very large factor.

ALS

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
reply to post by beezzer

But your talking about an unnecessary freedom. A hammer is a tool to build, a gun is simply a tool to destroy.

Because of this "freedom" 20 children between the ages of 5 and 11 have lost their most important, most fundamental freedom. The freedom to live.

ALS

Since I'm "from" both the UK and America, I can see the adherence that Americans have from a different perspective. To many, it might seem like an unnecessary right. But once we start marginalizing these rights, once we start placing "rights" in a global context instead of a national one, we demean the value that the culture of America has on this.

We sneer at the cultural rights that some countries have on a variety of issues. Does that make us right? America gets blamed for spreading it's philosophy across the globe. Globalization. Imperialism. (something the brits have been accused of in the past)

But aren't people just as guilty when they try to impose their own cultural values on the American mindset?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Ok.

I'm done here.

Enjoy your soapbox.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

My friend, while today is one of the greatest tragedies that could occur anywhere, removing guns is not the answer. When you ask for the greater number of people to give up guns, you are then concentrating that power among the few, those who control the governments and armies. When you take away a means of balancing power you only create a populous who is more easily controlled.

Tell me the truth, when you rely only on those in power to protect you, to act in your best interest, do you then not become their sheep? Any person in power is just that, a person. Do you trust that I have your best interest at heart? Are you willing to follow any command I give you? If you say yes then you are a fool. And really, how much better do you know those who lead your country than you know me? Believe that those individuals in charge will work for the best of the community and the individual but never trust them to do so.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

The only people with guns here down under are cops and the criminal element due to gun control legislated as a knee jerk reaction to our port arthur massacre. Do i feel any safer? Definately not.
Go back to watching movies as this is obviously where you get your info to form your opinions.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Short answer to the OP - N O !

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I agree with all you say, but I feel your words are wasted. More than 10 generations of the right to bear arms is not going away. I feel safe to walk the streets of Melbourne, knowing guns are illegal although they are no doubt available on the black market.
The chances of being shot are slim. If I am mugged I can take care of myself, if the attacker has a knife, I still have more chance of walking away than if he had a gun.
Yes crazy people abound, and more so right now than anytime in recent history.
They may think bearing arms makes them safer, all it does is gives them an easier opportunity to kill if provoked.
Many people lose their lives over minor disagreements, or misunderstandings. Those unfortunate survivors then lose their rights as a citizen and end up in jail or worse.
Take guns away and there is less likelihood of that happening.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras

You choose to smoke cigarettes, car accidents are exactly that - accidents, you choose to drink alcohol.
You dont necessarily choose to get shot by some thug wielding a gun.

The thug CHOOSES to use the gun.

I may choose to drink alcohol, and then drive a car. What about that person I hit who did not drink alcohol? Drinking and driving has plenty of victims who were not drinking and driving. So why do we not blame the car or alcohol? Guns are same thing. The thug chooses to use a gun. So why blame the gun instead of the thug?

No way is that comparable,

Sure it is, I just compared it.

A gun can shoot you dead from 50 feet or more, a knife cant do that.

A knife can still kill. Is a knife any less deadly because it is a close combat weapon? So instead of a school shooting today, would it have been more acceptable if 2 people walked into the school and stabbed anyone they could reach? How is that more acceptable?

I reiterate, I'd sooner take my chances with a knife, plus they come in handy when tucking in to a nice piece of porterhouse. You cant cut up a porterhouse with a gun however you can blow it to the shizenhouse.
:

No you cant cut it up, however a gun comes in handy to supply that nice piece of porterhouse, or do you plan to stab that cow to death?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
What you fail to realize is the Second Amendment was written by our founding fathers as a shield from our Government not a shield from fellow citizens.

Get rid of your dumbass Queen...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join