It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the Gun, Repeal the Second Amendment.

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I disagree, I've come up with a solution to many of the gun owning issues in the USA, hear me out...

Make it illegal to own a gun if you don't have a gun safe, in other words,

Make gun safes mandatory, have a gun? get a safe for it, over half the young gunmen wouldn't have their hands full if the parents safely locked the gun in a safe, would it get 100% of the guns out of their hands? no, but it would get the majority of them out of their hands, thus preventing disaster, heck it would at least slow down the ones thinking about using them and that slowing down process is better than nothing.

Gun Safes = safer.

I do not own a gun but I feel it is a legal right for every legal citizen of the USA to have one (as long as they are mentally capable and do not have a criminal background), just wish they were more responsible as a whole, not having them laying around everywhere is a good start
edit on 20-12-2012 by Razimus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

Really? Because no criminal would ever be able to find the key or learn the combination, right?
What about those new, highly expensive palm-print and retinal scanners, huh?
Oh, wait, if the kid kills the parents first, I guess he could bypass that as well...Nevermind!

Why do law-abiding citizens need to do more, spend more, do without more and have more taken away?
Shouldn't the criminals be the ones who should pay for their actions!?!

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I'd like you to just open your mind to a few things that I will say about your point of view, gun issues in america are talked about a lot, but that doesn't mean they are important. In america media is used to publicize terror and eye-catching news, not so much the important stuff, so when you saw the headline "27 dead, 18 children" you undoubtedly thought that was horrible. On the other hand a crazy man with a gun could have ran into a cafeteria and before he could shoot he was shot by someone else, if no one else had a gun then there would be a cafeteria full of dead people. This is a fictitious situation, but it illustrates a simple point; Guns stop violence, just as they cause it. The reason you don't see this is simple "Entire cafeteria is killed" is a better headline and certainly more eye-catching than "Crazed gun man stopped", the news isn't around to inform you they are here to make money and the shocking titles win out every time. It is like clickbait, make it sound interesting or important and people will be deceived into thinking it is. You won't see articles, news reports or newspapers telling people of how many people were saved because of guns, only the opposite.

Your stance of banning guns doesn't make sense, you primary reason is because they cause death. In america, the gun is one of the smallest offenders when it comes to death toll. Do you care about guns, or do you care about lives? If you care for the lives then you wouldn't care about gun laws, because the death toll is insignificant. Anyone who tries to ban guns and then says their primary motivation for supporting anti gun laws is saving lives is a liar, if saving lives is your primary motivation then you would realize that guns cause a small amount of deaths and that you should look at larger killers. Need an example? Preventable medical malpractice kills over 500 per day, if every shooting in the US had a death toll of 50 then you'd need 10 mass shootings a day to even get close.

So with this information in hand, do you still want the gun banned? If so why? If not, thank you for listening and remaining rational.

(This little footnote at the end is proof and sources, with a little bit of math as well. First of all the US has about 318,892,103 (July 2014 est.) living in it according to CIA.gov, the death rate per 1000 people is 8.15(also CIA.gov). Now for the math,

318,892,103 divided by 1000 equals 318892,

318892 X 8.15 equals = 2614914.4

That's 2614914.4 deaths annually

Divide it by 365 and you get 7164

This means that every day 7164 people die in the US. This is an estimation, but it is completely based on statistics. Now the shooting you saw on TV had 27 deaths, this is hardly even a footnote for the day, not even noticeable. So why is it that we talk about ti so much? The sandy hook shooting actually had the president making speeches about gun laws, when the death count was minuscule.

Now if I go onto FBI.gov and look at the crime statistics there is a section called "Murder and non-negligent manslaughter" this includes all gun deaths and more. The total for the year of 2011 was 14,612, 14,612 divided by 365 is 40.

So all Murder and non-negligent manslaughter crimes cause 40 deaths per day, now 7000 divided by 40 = 175.

Do you understand what that means? Murder and non-negligent manslaughter crimes make up 1/175th of total deaths per day. That is 1 over 175, if you do the calculation of 1 over 175 you get 0.5714%.

That is correct, all Murder and non-negligent manslaughter crimes make up 0.5714% of the daily death toll.

(Sorry for poor grammar and sorry if I came across rudely)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Razimus
A gun safe would do nothing but impede me from getting my gun if I need it. No thanks.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
You can't beat American mentality and culture, just say "ban guns" and you guys go all nuts

If all this would have happened in a European country (if it had similar US gun laws), it would be the people who might suggest that it was about time for heavy gun regulation.

Yeah, but we need those to protect ourself against a tyrannical governement, what you think you gonna do...

Your so busy to protect your gun freedom, you let your other freedoms go out the window.

It is because of your gun policy, you now live in a police state.
When I take a look at your country, you have no freedom, you guys over there get arrested for the slightest misstep (if you dont' get shot or beat and tased half to death by LE)

But I still wish you the best in you free country

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Ddrneville
A drone, a tank and a jet isn't gonna operate itself. Don't act like all the US is under some iron fist, it isn't. There are plenty of places that decided they didn't even want a police force, so they got rid of it. Back when I was in HS, us kids actually lobbied our town to get rid of the police force. They had no real crime to deal with, so all their time was spent harassing us. We documented it, took it to the town board, and they issued an ultimatum to the PD. The PD decided not to listen, and kept their crap up, so the town board disbanded them.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Aside from assassinating groups of children, I can think of something else that's already against the law. It happens all the time, and the only way we ever hear about is when kids who were/are being sexually used and abused, start to tell tales.

You know what happens next, dontcha.
The kid gets recruited for the Mickey Mouse Club, Hollywood, riches and fame!

Well maybe you're just a little too pure to get it. We don't want to bring down the royal family, do we.

If I were one of the kids who was just a little too smart, and had had some cretin fishing around in my drawers, asking me if I thought if that made me feel as though I were a boy, or a girl, and maybe a little something else, then I'd probably want a sex change operation too, a complete remake, sorta like Newtown star Bruce Jenner tells us: "It's the new norm". Anything goes. Hell, I'd do anything.

Anything, to stay alive.

# 469

edit on 5-7-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

YOU folded from THAT emotional appeal garbage as did Austrailia.
WE don't care about the occasional NUT JOB gunwise they will always find a way to harm others .but I wouldn't expect a caste society to understand self sufficency and how one shouldn't be measured by the lowest common denomninator.
THAT is who we are ,so KINDLY get over it .
edit on 5-7-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TheNobleCasserole

This thread is over 3 years old. My views on guns have changed a little over time.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

So here I am sitting watching the news, I see a young boy talking about how he “saw and heard” the bullets of a gun man. The headline below this innocent child’s face reads “27 people killed in Connecticut shooting, 18 children”.

I am not to beat about the bush hear but as a British guy looking in on this I am shocked, there have been more of these type of mass shootings this year than I can count. Every month I am seeing some state governor passing on his heartfelt condolences to the families of the dead.

How about this instead America rather than having your leaders “apologise” to all the dead families how about you do this? Get out of the Wild West and the 18th century and BAN THE GUN!!! You are not cowboys anymore, you are not John Rambo the British are not about to invade you.

For the “guns don’t kill people, people do”, stop hiding behind an old cliché, if you lot bothered with proper gun control I would not be watching this disturbing story.

To be clear, I am not saying ban all guns or ban the gun overnight, what I am saying is that you lot need to grow up and some proper gun regulation. You need gun reform, it’s very simple, none of you gun enthusiasts needs 40 guns with 1200 rounds of ammunition.

Stop hiding behind that ancient bit of paper, your constitution, you all need to grow a set and sort out your gun problem before you have anoter 18 dead kids, who knows next time it could be one of yours, I pray it is not and i pray for the families of those affected

Come and get em limey. Worked well for you last time.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

errrr what????

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: TheNobleCasserole

This thread is over 3 years old. My views on guns have changed a little over time.

You mean you're finally starting to grow a pair??

Seriously though - 3 years, over 850 posts and I bet not one person involved in this conversation has really had their views changed by another poster's comments. So what's the point?
Why do those who are for and those who are against even participate in this pissing match?
Does anyone who creates these threads actually think that they're going to sway someone's opinion on the subject?
Seems like a total waste of time that does nothing but make everyone's blood boil on both sides of the issue.

I mean... Yeah, I understand the validity of making one's voice heard and all but for me, the subject is not open to debate.
In that sense, this can be considered a hit-and-run post. Not playing...
This is my final answer
edit on 5-7-2015 by sageturkey because: Add

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: sageturkey

You mean you're finally starting to grow a pair??

I already have a pretty darn impressive pair and quite the cannon to go with but i really do not think that is any of your business nor is it something open for discussion on ATS.

ohhh wait you mean....

ahhh yes now I see.

Let me clear then for you,

I believe American Gun laws or utterly stupid, I believe the second amendment and toilet paper should be used much in the same way.

However, I also believe that the big bad penile extension you call a "gun" is also unfortunate a integral part of American culture. The Scottish have kilts and bagpipes, the Italians have their food, the French have their art, and America really drew the short straw and wound up with guns. its part of your culture now, it would be impossible to have a ban on guns or repeal the second amendment.

As such my position over the last 3 years has changed, rather than believing the second amendment should be repealed and flushed down the toilet, I believe that there should instead be stricter gun laws

Now please I was really tired of this thread 3 years ago and I am still pretty tired of it today.

So can we let it fall back into the deep dark pit of ATS from which it came.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoinTo be clear, I am not saying ban all guns or ban the gun overnight, what I am saying is that you lot need to grow up and some proper gun regulation. You need gun reform, it’s very simple, none of you gun enthusiasts needs 40 guns with 1200 rounds of ammunition.

To Be Perfectly Clear.
This is Exactly why You are Still In England and
Not Here In The USA.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bluesman462002

This is Exactly why You are Still In England and Not Here In The USA.

Scottish, not English, proud to be Scottish.

Glad am not in the USA, nice for a holiday thats about it.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Sorry, I am new to the site. I did not realize.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Yeah, You Scottish have always been able and willing, subjugated useful tool slaves ever since all the good ones died fighting against the Crown.

I am American by the way, but my Father's family was from Scotland. They fled to the USA to fight for the freedom of another land once they realized cowards only remained there.

~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheNobleCasserole
Sorry, I am new to the site. I did not realize.

Just because you're new doesn't mean that you should be sorry my friend, so don't be.

Both of those islands are infested with some irrational and suicidal members of a once very strong and brave culture who were not able and willing bow down for anything slaves like today. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
If they do ban guns I am sure most Americans would turn thier guns in without much of a whimper. Not like anything could be done about it.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

If they do ban guns I am sure most Americans would turn thier guns in without much of a whimper.

I seriously doubt it.

If the law abiding citizens do turn in their guns what is to stop the drug dealers and gangs from taking over cities?

Drugs are a serious problem here. Drugs and guns keep coming in from Mexico. CIA is corrupted.

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44 >>

join