It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the Gun, Repeal the Second Amendment.

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Alfie1

From your source as well.

This article's factual accuracy is disputed. Please help to ensure that disputed statements are reliably sourced. See the relevant discussion on the talk page. (October 2011)

Now that is TOO funny.

Oh, did no one inform you that Wiki is not exactly the best place to pull sourcing from, as it is created by other internet users....

OK, if you don't like Wiki what about the Washington Post ?

www.washingtonpost.com...

Are you saying the US doesn't have the highest per capita gun ownership in the world ?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alfie1

You are just repeating your error. There is no country in the world with private gun ownership like the US.

This is true, there is an estimated 270 million guns in circulation in the US alone. (89 per 100 people) But, the US is not number one in terms of deaths by firearms. This seems to be completely counter intuitive to what a lot of you people think.

en.wikipedia.org...

It should be noted that the above death statistics also include suicides by firearm into the final death tally. According to the CDC, only 36% of all firearm deaths are attributed to actual "murders". But even those numbers do not tell the whole story. For instance, home owner self defense and cops shooting and killing criminals are lumped in with those statistics. So in reality, the numbers can be quite misleading. Even then, actual recorded deaths by firearm are dropping year on year (as is crime around the US in general).

You can't get away from the fact that the US is sitting on a mountain of privately held guns like nowhere else and you are paying for it with about 9 or 10,000 gun murders per year.

Far more people die in the US from drunk driving every year (11k-12k deaths). Should we ban cars as well since they can be used by irresponsible people? That number is rather tiny and insignificant when compared to the actual US population of 315 million people...a nation that has a conservative estimate of 270 million guns in circulation. Why wouldn't it be much higher?

What about the UK? They seem to be the shining beacon of hope for gun control advocates?!?!

The number of people injured or killed by guns, excluding air weapons, has increased from 864 in 1998/99 to a provisional figure of 1,760 in 2008/09, an increase of 104 per cent .

UK Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade

If we extrapolate the UK's population out to 5.5x larger than it is now (which would make it roughly the same size as the US population) related gun deaths would be roughly 8,000-9,000 annually in the UK. Clearly Gun Control does not work, and has not stopped nearly 2,000 Britain's from succumbing to their ultimate fate.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

You are just repeating your error. There is no country in the world with private gun ownership like the US.

Funny, as there are no solid or valid statistics to suggest that the countries in the ME and African Continent don't have ownership like the US.
SO, nice arguing point.
Having been to the ME, or just ask any returning Vet or GI, that the ease as which a firearm can be purchased, and the amount of accessible firearms is unlike that of the US.

In response to my question about countries where you allege " everyday people " can buy RPGs etc you give me Afghanistan and Iraq. Insurgents and militants in those countries have RPGs but they didn't buy them from the local store. They were smuggled in from Iran, Syria, Pakistan.

Oh, so they DO in fact have those weapons available.
Regardless if they were smuggled in, or manufactured there, they are still accessible and can be purchased by anyone.

You can't get away from the fact that the US is sitting on a mountain of privately held guns like nowhere else and you are paying for it with about 9 or 10,000 gun murders per year.

Yeah, what is the crime rate percentage of counties listed above???
And what is the official FBI static of violent crime committed with a firearm?
And yes, the US has a lot of Privately Held Firearms. And that is a great thing.

Oh, what is the percentage of non violent firearm owners as compared to violent lawful firearm owners, and maybe look at including the violent unlawful firearm owners as well.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Alfie1

How about a site with just facts, instead of the MSM spin.

www.justfacts.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradox

Originally posted by rock427
reply to post by Golf66

lol you misc? Let me know and I'll rep you you cheeky devil.

There are miscbrahs on here?

WAT?

Lol u aware brah? The misc is how I found out about this place !
edit on 17-12-2012 by rock427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Why are people from other countries trying to run our country . Maybe they should try to get the bugs worked out in their miserable countries and leave ours alone . America left Britian so that they could determine their own worship and way of life . We are not the Colonies . We are a self governing Country and will make our own laws . We don't need help from other failed societies . In those countries the criminals have guns and have never given them up .It is the criminal who we are punishing isn't it ?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

Failed society? Listen pal, we do not have regular mass shooting incidents or a high murder rate. Which rather makes that a poor comparison for you to make. If anything, it indicates your society is failing - and something needs to be done.

However, as you rightly say, it is your country, not ours. If you are happy to live in a society where people can walk into an Elementary School or a Movie Theatre and just start massacring people then fine - your choice. Personally, i would hate to live in such a place. If it arose over here, i would happily be doing everything in my power to try and effect change.

Horses for courses i guess though...........

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
Failed society? Listen pal, we do not have regular mass shooting incidents or a high murder rate.

There are over 270 million guns in circulation around the US. The current US population is 315 million...Only about 10-11,000 people die every year from murders by firearm in the US. Most US firearm deaths are from suicides. According to the CDC, only 36% of all firearm related deaths in the US are caused from homicides (which in itself is a loaded term).

en.wikipedia.org...

From the source above, we can see that for every 100,000 people, only 9 are murdered in the US via firearm. Now, if we want to get a clearer picture into how many of those are homicides, we would have to divide that number (9) in half, as we would also need to factor in suicides which makes up a majority of gun related deaths in this country. So lets say 4 people are murdered in the US every year in terms of homicides per 100,000 people. That is right there with Canada (4.78) and Switzerland (3.5). Yet neither one of these countries comes close to the US per capita amount of guns.

Which rather makes that a poor comparison for you to make. If anything, it indicates your society is failing - and something needs to be done.

The US has the 4th highest HDI in the world, and the second highest median household income in the world. We are also 25% of the worlds GDP. Do you really want to compare countries?

hdrstats.undp.org...

However, as you rightly say, it is your country, not ours. If you are happy to live in a society where people can walk into an Elementary School or a Movie Theatre and just start massacring people then fine - your choice. Personally, i would hate to live in such a place. If it arose over here, i would happily be doing everything in my power to try and effect change.

First off, no one is happy about children being massacred. Period. Secondly, there is no such thing as 100% prevention from these types of crimes. Banning guns in the UK has not stopped gun crime from soaring to 89% over the past decade...

Additionally, the killer who massacred those kids broke at least six different laws before he shot the first victim in the classroom. Wishful thinking and politely worded laws written on paper don't "prevent" a determined attacker from carrying out his crime.

edit on 18-12-2012 by rock427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Yeah, and YOUR football Hooligans are the cream of the crop right???

Maybe cleanup your own backyard, before you knock on your neighbors door.

What is the violent crime rate there with blunt objects and knives????
You guys still have murder, crime, violence and still have mass killings en.wikipedia.org...
So, save your holier than thou crap for others.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The POtus is being forced to trade in his crown and bow for a red horse and a sword. Be smart because the televison show REVOLUTION didn't just show up by accident. Please note that ALL AMERICAN PATRIOTS AND CONSTITUIONALIST are deemed to be repugnant. The revolution will not be televised.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rock427

Your figures are off...and the US has 4.5 x the population of the UK, not 5.5.

The "official" figures are here:

Gun Homicide & Ownership by country

edit on 18-12-2012 by FluffyCannibal because: I screwed the link up. And I still love unicorns.

edit on 18-12-2012 by FluffyCannibal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FluffyCannibal
reply to post by rock427

Your figures are off...

The figures I used are the latest from the CDC.

www.cdc.gov...

and the US has 4.5 x the population of the UK, not 5.5.

Strong math. The UK population is roughly 60 million. 60,000,000 x 4.5 = 270,000,000. The US population is 315 million today...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rock427

It hit 70 million a couple of months ago. 70 million x 4.5 = 315 million

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FluffyCannibal
reply to post by rock427

It hit 70 million a couple of months ago. 70 million x 4.5 = 315 million

It is not expected to hit 70 million until 2027...

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said it was set to rise from 62.3 million in 2010 to 67.2 million by 2020 and 73.2 million by 2035.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 18-12-2012 by rock427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rock427

We as Americans made a choice long ago to govern ourselves . I suppose you forgot the many thousands of Americans who died to keep your country from speaking German in a war you declared you would go to bat for us once ! We like our Second Amendment and there are your people who hate haven given up their right to bear arms . We want to have our own self determination . From what I just read England has the highest prison population rate in the world . What it up with that ?
We will defend our Constitution and Bill of Rights .

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

edit on 12-18-12 by paradox because: woops

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

kinda makes me wonder why brits come here and buy guns. they probably dealt with some nasty stuff over there
edit on 20-12-2012 by rockoperawriter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44 >>

join