It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the Gun, Repeal the Second Amendment.

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You are kidding right? Just in case you're serious - or in case anyone takes you seriously - let me make it clear that those diagnosed with schizophrenia are many times LESS likely to inflict harm on another human being. People diagnosed with schizophrenia are much more likely to harm themselves tho' and live in fear of violent society.

It is an accurate observation that a large proportion of those who carry out these horrific crimes have been been prescribed psychiatric medications (ant-depressants and ritalin type drugs in the main) at some time. Maybe the rampant medicalisation and drugging of teenage/childhood angst should be questioned by us all.

I

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You are kidding right? Just in case you're serious - or in case anyone takes you seriously - let me make it clear that those diagnosed with schizophrenia are many times LESS likely to inflict harm on another human being. People diagnosed with schizophrenia are much more likely to harm themselves tho' and live in fear of violent society.

Well put. You beat me to the same point. About 12 years ago, I looked at a lot of data on this as I was involved in a mental health awareness campaign and this point - that schizophrenics are more likely to be the victim of violence than the perpetrators of violence - was fairly clear cut.

The problem is that a schizophrenic with a samurai sword or similar (I'm using the example of a famous British case here) is media gold. It ties in to innate fears about 'the other' on the fringes of society - which is rampant and a handy tool, even in the 21st century, for anyone wanting to exploit that fear. It taps into the 'oh no! society is crumbling and we live in perpetual danger' type fears, as well as opening issues as to the state of health care (and the solution to any health care problems), which is often a loaded issue with many people having a dog in that particular fight.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Reply to post by neo96

Neo,

I don't want gun control, but the difference between the China incident and the Sandy Hook incident are huge to say the least.

First of all, Sandy Hook is probably 50 miles as the crow flies from CNN studios. It is a domestic tragedy happening in the Tr-state area. Secondly, the children in China were wounded, not dead. Being that the shootings resulted in dead children of course warrants that that story receives more attention.

This story is not receiving more attention because of some media bias and agenda to gain traction for gun control. This story is being covered due to the 20 dead children and the level of severity.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
My cousin's friend and boss, lost his son in the recent shooting. He is not calling for more gun control, he doesn't think law abiding citizens should be punished. He is a bit left leaning, and does not own guns either.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
First thing I didn't read every comment, so I don't know if it's already been said. That "ancient piece of paper" you are referring to is our Constitution, upon which our country was founded. If not for this "ancient piece of paper" we would probably be drinking tea and eating crumpets with you OP. To all the American who want to do away with my 2nd amendment rights, I would like to do away with your 1st amendment right. I serve my country to protect these rights, and personally take offense to Americans who want to change our Constitution. Guns have been part of the American way of life. We've always had guns, but haven't always had the problems with nut jobs killing the innocent. Don't you think that maybe, there are other factors to blame other that the guns. Maybe society, movies, video games. the news, I really don't know. But I do know throughout American history guns have been there. And the intent of guns being there actually serves a real purpose. I basis for putting this in the Constitution was so that citizens could overthrow and unjust government, which alot of people don't realize. I for one have many guns. I am an avid hunter, and in the part of the US I live most people hunt. They don't do it for sport, they do it for meat. People think just cause there's grocery stores everywhere, that people can just go buy meat. This is untrue for alot around me cause money is an issue. But back to banning guns. I support gun rights, if you don't like guns don't buy guns. If your British, don't worry about American problems. Remember guns don't kill people, people kill people. Don't lose focus everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This is the most stupid thing going around today.

There are trillions of shells of ammo in the United States and well over a Billion guns. The government will never be able to get all of the guns and ammo from its citizens, illegals too. It's a pie in the sky resolution just aimed at creating more tax dollars and government spending.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Got to love a Brit trying to tell Americans what they should do, the last time British tried that, it didn't turn out too well for them.

The only reason most of you "care" is because you let MSM tell you what you should be upset about and believe. The shooting was tragic, but its a small drop of water in the ocean. More people die each year from vehicles in the US.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

For the “guns don’t kill people, people do”, stop hiding behind an old cliché, if you lot bothered with proper gun control I would not be watching this disturbing story.

True. Instead we could be talking about the 23 people stabbed in a knife attack in a Chinese school yesterday. Or the Wolverhampton machete attack.

Or we could talk about the handgun and grenade attacks carried out recently in Manchester. Wait a second, that couldn't have happened, handguns and grenades aren't legal in the UK.

Now I'm confused. I thought banning stuff would stop this happening?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Grow a set? We have a set, obviously. By the way, America will live and die by the Constitution. I have the right to bear arms. The government do not fear a people without teeth.

I am sorry 26 people were killed, but there are 300 million people. If a few of those teachers were allowed concealed carry, it most likely would have gone differently.

The last thing we need is cowards making policy. Don't touch my guns, oh, and you won't.

--

Wait .. doesn't Britain have Sharia courts?? Yeah, we need to listen to you. You know, the country who's culture is being over ran by extremist.
edit on 15-12-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Yeah, because making it illegal for law abiding citizens to protect themselves will stop all gun related tragedies.......... If somebody has it set in their mind that they're going to go on a mass shooting spree I doubt the legality of owning a gun would stop them. If guns were illegal that would mean only people who have no problem breaking the law would be in possession of them.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I would also like to add that this isn't a gun control issue. The guns were legally purchased and legally registered by the guys mom. In my opinion he illegally obtained the weapons and then illegally used them for illegal things. All the gun control in the world will only work for the law abiding citizens. This guy wasn't exactly abiding by the law. Crazy is still crazy, no matter how you shake it. In every country, not just the USA. Criminals are going to be criminals not mater how much we change are laws.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
China: School killer in property dispute

The attacker used a kitchen cleaver to kill the school's owner, Wu Hongying, and five boys and two girls on Wednesday morning

Eleven other children from the attack remain hospitalized, including two with severe injuries, according to Xinhua

It was the sixth such attack in China on school children since March.

Lets ban knives and cleavers.

When will we learn that people with mental issues should not be on the streets. They used to be locked up in institutions. We didm't have mass killings when they were behind locked doors.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I have had to use a gun to protect my child from a bear, it was stalking him while we were berry picking and it took a shot in the air for it to take off. Should I give it up so that I can see my child in a pool of blood?

OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS!! Thank you very much.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The second stays and if people don't like it tough because it always takes a person behind the trigger and you can't legislate behavior.

no - but we don't have to accommodate bad behavior - or facilitate it

or accessorize it

or promote it

or adore it

put it on a pedestal and worship it

and then wonder why a bunch of tiny little children are dead

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

What? Guns are a part of life. That is why it is every where in America. You know, the whole freedom thing, right?

Is tooth paste dangerous? Only if you swallow it. Is a gun dangerous? Only if you pull the trigger.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12

What? Guns are a part of life. That is why it is every where in America. You know, the whole freedom thing, right?

Is tooth paste dangerous? Only if you swallow it. Is a gun dangerous? Only if you pull the trigger.

We live in a gun culture

thank you for making my point for me

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

So here I am sitting watching the news, I see a young boy talking about how he “saw and heard” the bullets of a gun man. The headline below this innocent child’s face reads “27 people killed in Connecticut shooting, 18 children”.

I am not to beat about the bush hear but as a British guy looking in on this I am shocked, there have been more of these type of mass shootings this year than I can count. Every month I am seeing some state governor passing on his heartfelt condolences to the families of the dead.

How about this instead America rather than having your leaders “apologise” to all the dead families how about you do this? Get out of the Wild West and the 18th century and BAN THE GUN!!! You are not cowboys anymore, you are not John Rambo the British are not about to invade you.

For the “guns don’t kill people, people do”, stop hiding behind an old cliché, if you lot bothered with proper gun control I would not be watching this disturbing story.

To be clear, I am not saying ban all guns or ban the gun overnight, what I am saying is that you lot need to grow up and some proper gun regulation. You need gun reform, it’s very simple, none of you gun enthusiasts needs 40 guns with 1200 rounds of ammunition.

Stop hiding behind that ancient bit of paper, your constitution, you all need to grow a set and sort out your gun problem before you have anoter 18 dead kids, who knows next time it could be one of yours, I pray it is not and i pray for the families of those affected

Well well dear ol Chap, here in the States ( former British colonies ), we have a right to our guns. So what now, will we also take away the knives, and the bleach and ammonia, or gasoline too, because they all kill. No no, it is true, never has a gun on it's own got up and gone out to kill somebody, It always took a human to do that. So, might I suggest that we punish the criminal instead.Over there where you are, you have no need for having guns. Russia can just walk in and take all you people over in a day. But here, because we're all armed, that will be a slight bit difficult to do. So, cheer up ol chap, we'll still be there for ya like in WW2, with our guns of course.

edit on 15-12-2012 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Yeah, and there is nothing wrong with that. At all.

I'm failing to see your point.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Ok, I actually never sign into this to comment but enjoy reading people's arguements and complaints/debates etc. But this is something I feel the need I need to make a statement.

You can ban guns, you can have the police check every persons house once a year, but you will never get rid of them. In fact the truth is the people that are going around and 'shooting' people are those that either 'ordered' online, Or met someone at the corner and exchanged money for the gun. Without background checks.

Banning the gun itself is stupid, I personally think gun restrictions are to uptight as it is. Example, look at a layout of most classrooms. If everyone was allowed to carry a gun, that teacher or a neighboring teacher could of delt with the situation on the spot.

But banning guns is just plain stupid since they will never disappear, if a person is intent to kill they do not need a 'gun' to kill people. There are a million ways to kill 1 a person. With that in mind you really need to look at the bigger picture.

Personally, I think if you are of 18 years of age, they should hand one to every american citizen, and have a general rule that if you have a gun in public it must be in sight. To keep the bad ones in check, where as if someone starts shooting people he can go.. 1..2...3....12...15... guns will be pointed at him.

The proof that I offer in this case, is the basic war on drugs. How many drugs cross the boarder? Best part is even if you have hounds at the gate trained for it. They still make it past, in order to stop ANY and all guns from entering a country you would need to spend trillions reinforcing the entire boarder with sensors to detect it, this isn't just between countries, but also oceanic as well.

A lot of drugs arrive via docks, trains, cars, planes,

All gun banning does is remove guns from those that are 'sane' enough to have one and give 'all' the power to the criminals. In all honesty, I think if they made it 'easier' to obtain a gun with a simple background check and a basic training course of gun safety a lot of crime will 'cease'. Because now these criminals don't know who's armed and who isn't.

Real Example: In my neighborhood there was a rapist breaking into people's apartments, houses, etc. Raping women in the middle of the night. Well one time this person tried to break into the wrong house, using his latter. As soon as he opened the window he had a gun in his face, guess what he did. He jumped down and ran his ass off and never bothered them again. That person's crime had ceased, he was caught doing bad and because the lady held a gun to him and said you can't enter he pissed his pants and ran.

With that said, a person who went through all of the steps to obtain a gun 'legally'. She was able to defend herself and her children from this intruder and it didn't even come to 'gunfire'.

Now if you were to remove that from her, her and her children would of been a victum to this man.

Every person should own a gun, and if you own one you should take safety training courses. I also believe teachers should have a gun in a locked drawer where kids can't get to it, and the kids should be educated at a young age about safety when using one. This way 'fear' of the gun stops, Crime will drop because everyone and their mother has one sitting on their nightstand, and the kids will be properly educated in safety and 'know' not to touch it.

You take a 5 year's old favorite toy, and show them what the gun is capable of, they will get the picture real quick. People do not give enough credit to younger generations, yet children are more then capable of understanding relationships between mother and father more then most people even realize, give them credit where it is due, and teach 'kids' starting at preschool by examples. Every 6 months would be more then enough for them to see the destruction that is possible with a weapon and burn it into them.

But back to the main point, removing guns from 'good' people only allows the 'bad' people to be in power.

P.S - Sorry for some of the repeats in train of thought. Just fustrates me on the ignorance some people have.
If you want something bad enough your going to get it all there is to it. That is the human mentality. Been that way since men seen a pretty woman and knocked em upside the head with a club and dragged them to the caves.

P.S.S - As far as the british comments go you guys have the highest tax rates in the world a single parent 70% of their income goes to taxes, why? Because the people there can not do anything about it, I am not promoting anything here, but your parlament has no reason to 'fear' the people. They could do whatever they want, and if you protest there goes the troops in a line with the only words 'fire' to be heard,
edit on 15-12-2012 by BlackArrow because: p.s.s

edit on 15-12-2012 by BlackArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12

Yeah, and there is nothing wrong with that. At all.

I'm failing to see your point.

And I not only agree but say everyone should have a gun. If some or even one of the teachers had a carry on gun, there may not have been such a massacre.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join