It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Call of Duty Be Causing an Increase in Gun Violence

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
What increase?

Statistics show crime overall is floating around all-time lows. Including crimes involving firearms.

Increasing from what baseline?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

Really?

This argument is getting tiresome.

"My kid killed himself because of Marilyn Manson"

Remember that ridiculous claim?

Wait, are you trolling. Sniff...smells like your trolling

No flags for you.

edit on 14-12-2012 by Mrgone because: snicklefritz

No I'm not trolling. I'm just wonder why so many young white males are shooting people in mass killings. I personally think that while it is not causing people to become more violent, i think theirs a correlation. I"m 100% pro videogame, yet at the same time, i know they are bad for my 4 year old. I can love something and also think "hmm.. maybe theirs a downside for some". I know videogames are good for me to relax, i also know too many videogames takes away time from doing things i should do. Ever play a game for 8 hours, lay down on your pillow, and keep seeing images from the game? I know plenty of gamers who have from playing CoD or WoW. Can we get some mass killing statistics since the first modern warfare game was release and pre-modern warfare, say 2007? Where are are you statisticians out there?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Clockwork Orange Anyone????

"No time for the old in and out love, just come to read the meter"

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vaedur
I'm curious of people's thoughts. Take a good think about it. Day after day it seems new shootings in the US. The most popular competitive activity right now being played by masses is Call of Duty Online. Could the day after day constant shooting of advatars causing an upswing in gun violence? Millions are hooked on this game, with videogame addiction issues.
I'm not saying ban guns, I"m not saying ban call of duty, I"m asking a question. Btw I"m a gamer who plays violent games, RPGS, Assassin's creed is my favorite. I am NOT anti-videogame.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Vaedur because: Added "Gun" to the topic

It is not games... If it was then this would be going on all over the world, but instead "99%" of such mass shooting all happen in US.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I can't find the article but I think I read somewhere that there was a surge in mushroom consumption and girls dressing up like princess just around the time Super Mario Bros. was released.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
What increase?

Statistics show crime overall is floating around all-time lows. Including crimes involving firearms.

Increasing from what baseline?

I don't know that's why i'm asking if someone has statistics on mass shooting pre 2007 and post 2007.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Not unless your children somehow don't know the difference between reality and fantasy.

Or you allow your children to play these games when they are too young and don't have a good understanding of what's happening.

There's no proven correlation between video game violence and real world violence.

Again, it's matter of educating children about reality vs fantasy.

~Tenth

There was a famous study that incorrectly determined a correlation between TV violence and children violence. The result was that there were more violent kids watching violence on TV than those who did not watch TV and so it was concluded that TV causes violence.

The true correlation that we now know is that violent children like to also watch violence on TV and so the true reason why that group had more violent children in it. All this can be brought forward 40 years and applied to video games….

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vaedur

I don't know that's why i'm asking if someone has statistics on mass shooting pre 2007 and post 2007.

That's different than the title.

"Mass shootings" is a more specific incident than gun violence.

It's also a poorly defined term. Mass shooting conjures up images of dozens dead when most agencies define it as 3 victims or more. And they dont even have to be in the same place or the same time.

Some guy could kill somebody in NJ, drive to Michigan to kill another, then to Texas to kill one more and that's a "mass shooting" by some standards.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Some guy could kill somebody in NJ, drive to Michigan to kill another, then to Texas to kill one more and that's a "mass shooting" by some standards.
I thought that was more commonly referred to as a 'Spree'.
[color=999999]('Shooting Spree' or a 'Spree Shooter')

Regarding the OP's question, my opinion is 'No'.

Violence is everywhere you look. Even if the violence within the entertainment industry of our current society was somehow to blame, you still couldn't actually pinpoint any specific root source. It is EVERYWHERE.

On a slightly lighter note, but still true nonetheless....

That dam Duck Hunt dog used to really piss me off when he started laughing at me. I tried shooting him many many many times, but I would never shoot a real dog.
[color=888888](unless it was imposing serious physical harm, of course.)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/rg50cb8199.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/da50cb81b1.jpg[/atsimg]

[color=606060]Well, real dog better not let me catch him laughing at me though......lol

edit on 12/14/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth
I can't find the article but I think I read somewhere that there was a surge in mushroom consumption and girls dressing up like princess just around the time Super Mario Bros. was released.

If I could give you more stars I would

Here. ******

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Of course, everybody knows we had thousands of years of human peace and happiness in our history before we invented video games.

Oh wait...my bad, its actually a long sad history full of butchery atrocity and pain. Carry on.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I don't think it is video games I think it is the degredation of society in general that is causing the problems.

People have lost hope....

Everyday all we hear is how bad everything is every second of the day.

The younger generation are growing up in times where only scum bags get ahead and hard working people can't even find jobs to take care of their family.

If the elite would let enough trickle out to the masses that they can take care for their families it would slow things down. We live in an age where the rich now needs billions and trillions instead of millions and that money has to come from some where.

Until that gap between super rich and middle class get closed it will only get worse.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Springheel Jack

Boxing and close-contact sports. Don't forget those. So:
1) Sports
2) TV
3) Movies
4) Video Games
5) Cops and Robbers, cap guns, any toy gun, etc
6) Books

There're lots and lots of examples of "fake" violence and disaster in our media and probably in our imagination too. It's possible that in an unstable mind it will bleed outward into reality.

I feel similarly that belief in God or the spaghetti monster can lead to similar results. For example, belief that secularism is evil can cause parents to essentially abuse their children load em full of nonsense. Basically, a brainwashed mind can't discriminate reality and is a danger to others.
edit on 14-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I think its easy to Combine "Conscious" and Sub-conscious" in the same understanding of how we absorb Information... BUT Its is completely shown with repeated clinical studies that Repetition of any kind will case a sub-conscious Result...Thus a Child spends Enough hours playing Black Ops or what have you and the sub-conscious boundaries of how to deal with problematic situations will start to Blur...Thus I feel we will see an Increase of today's Horror ( shooting in Conn.) in our Future if we dont come together as a society and STOP this "Death" addicted Behavior .....Turn off the Cable T.V Stop killing in Gaming for Fun esp. around children who look up to you..this is a First step..

BUT This is by no Means the only reason we are seeing an increase in Societal violence and Degradation as a whole..
edit on 14-12-2012 by DjembeJedi because: finish idea..

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth

It wasn't the girls dressing up in the princess dresses that was the issue back then it was when the little boys started doing it silly.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

NEWTOWN, Conn. (CBSNewYork) — A neighborhood plumber said in a published report this week that Newtown, Conn., elementary school gunman Adam Lanza spent his days in the basement of the house he shared with his mother, playing violent video games amid posters showcasing military equipment. Peter Wlasuk told The Sun newspaper of Britain for a Monday report that he found it “strange” that Lanza lived holed up in the basement of the home, with computers, a TV, a bed, a desk and his own private bathroom, but no windows. Wlasuk told The Sun that Adam Lanza and his older brother, Ryan, were “fans of the military” and had mounted posters everywhere in the basement showing assorted military equipment. They were experts on guns that dated back as far as the 1940s through playing “Call of Duty,” he said in the report.

Click Here to read the article.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CincinnatiReds

Of corse when Portal came out people have instantly adopted "the cake is a lie" and "The Weighted Companion Cube will never thretten to stab you," also when Valve released the "Meet the spy" video people were talking about the fact that the spy is going out with the scout's mom, so how is this any different?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
abso-blooming-doodly

it happens with any game, it's not just COD

i have evidence and stuff too

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Everyone is going to say.

"I've played x video game for y years, and own z ammount of guns and I've never shot anyone"

But I think it's related to gun violence. It's the fact that we have these very self involved and emotionally scored games that glorify general gun violence. And I do mean, general gun violence. The people you shoot in games are generally faceless targets that are relatively not personified, and not only that they also look much like your own team in CoD. There's no distinction between them almost.

Normal people won't be compelled to go out and shoot em up. But people who are already unstable and of lower inhibitions? Its bound to give them ideas.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Well if that is true then I guess watching the TellaTubbies would make you turn gay?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join