It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Call of Duty Be Causing an Increase in Gun Violence

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'm curious of people's thoughts. Take a good think about it. Day after day it seems new shootings in the US. The most popular competitive activity right now being played by masses is Call of Duty Online. Could the day after day constant shooting of advatars causing an upswing in gun violence? Millions are hooked on this game, with videogame addiction issues.
I'm not saying ban guns, I"m not saying ban call of duty, I"m asking a question. Btw I"m a gamer who plays violent games, RPGS, Assassin's creed is my favorite. I am NOT anti-videogame.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Vaedur because: Added "Gun" to the topic

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I love guns, call of duty and war history and I have never had the urge to go kill people. The problem isn't guns. we need to ask why people are in such a disturbed place to go out and do this type of thing.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vaedur
I'm curious of people's thoughts. Take a good think about it. Day after day it seems new shootings in the US. The most popular competitive activity right now being played by masses is Call of Duty Online. Could the day after day constant shooting of advatars causing an upswing in gun violence? Millions are hooked on this game, with videogame addiction issues.
I'm not saying ban guns, I"m not saying ban call of duty, I"m asking a question. Btw I"m a gamer who plays violent games, RPGS, Assassin's creed is my favorite. I am NOT anti-videogame.

YES without a doubt.

My kids always reenact the games they play for about an hour or two after i turn it off

EDIT id like to add that just because it does not affect you personally doesnt mean it doesnt affect anyone somebody else as all things affect others in different ways
its what i call swings and roundabouts

edit on 14/12/2012 by maryhinge because: EDIT

edit on 14/12/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
No I don't really think so despite what some academics might try to tell people. I could buy it having a desensitizing effect on people but I just don't see it putting people into a homicidal frame of mind at least not anyone that wasn't predisposed to it to begin with. The reality of it is there are other nations in the world that have the same entertainment and manage to get by without having a shooting spree occur every other week. This is not a gun problem, it is not an entertainment problem it is a cultural problem.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CincinnatiReds
I love guns, call of duty and war history and I have never had the urge to go kill people. The problem isn't guns. we need to ask why people are in such a disturbed place to go out and do this type of thing.

Look I play assassin's creed games almost every night lately and I don' shank anyone, that's not my point. I'm saying is the constant bombardment of the act on the brain of someone mentally unstable causing an upswing. For example: The guy who might have stabbed someone to death is instead reenacting their favorite pastime. I'm not talking about normal people.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

No. Guns or video games do not breed violence.

Society as a whole is down the crapper. No morals, no values and no belief in anything other then what is owed to the person by the Govt.

Kids for decades before video games were playing cops and robbers, or cowboys and indians without the lashing out of violent episodes.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Not unless your children somehow don't know the difference between reality and fantasy.

Or you allow your children to play these games when they are too young and don't have a good understanding of what's happening.

There's no proven correlation between video game violence and real world violence.

Again, it's matter of educating children about reality vs fantasy.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Vaedur

No. Guns or video games do not breed violence.

Society as a whole is down the crapper. No morals, no values and no belief in anything other then what is owed to the person by the Govt.

Kids for decades before video games were playing cops and robbers, or cowboys and indians without the lashing out of violent episodes.

I agree they don't breed violence, but if your nuts and violent, could they influence the type of violence you choose?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

Not really, violence is violence.

If you want to kill somebody the medium used is just a detail.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

Yeah I play all those as well. Yet I never have the urge to kill anyone...

Besides you can't just pin it on just video games...look at TV, Movies, music...please this is a worn out argument...evil is evil...mentally ill are mentally ill.

I think that what you are and do is how you were raised as a child. But...some are just born bad I think.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
To OP's question, no.

No more than watching old (uncensored) Warner Brothers cartoons making me want to drop ACME anvils on peoples heads.

I would say prescription drugs (I am looking squarely at current crops of anti-depressants) stand more of an influence on making people go off on shooting rampages.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

Really?

This argument is getting tiresome.

"My kid killed himself because of Marilyn Manson"

Remember that ridiculous claim?

Wait, are you trolling. Sniff...smells like your trolling

No flags for you.

edit on 14-12-2012 by Mrgone because: snicklefritz

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
No, it does not promote violence. However, I will say it could desensitize many to it.

I always thought a connection existed between violent film/video games and giving the younger generation a head start in combat training....without them how many kids would know what a UAV or RPG is?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I have swords, I have knives, I have played games with both.
I do not feel a need to go eviscerate the world.
So to the OP's question, NO.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

If you are nuts and violent, then anything can set you off.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well... at least GTA V isnt out yet! I can only imagine...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If violence in video games can make people go out and kill people then the opposite has to be true. We should be able to reform violent criminals by subjecting them to videos of rainbows and puppy dogs.
edit on 14-12-2012 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
When i was a kid I used to play Mortal Kombat for hours at the arcade and not once did I have the urge or impulse to decapitate anyone or set them on fire. F""ked up individuals are simply product of their own upbringing and situation. Poor decisions of weak or ill minded individuals shouldn't be blamed on video games and guns.

I love guns too as someone above posted, and with thw hockey mask shooting and now this, I can see gun control coming soon, but what people have to realize that a crazy person will kill with a gun, knife, or stick. The gun isn't the problem is the person.

All my prayers go out to the victims of today's tragedy

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Only one way to find out. Burn every Xbox and Playstation.

See what happens.

Chances are Rap music will be to blame next. AGAIN!!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Clockwork Orange Anyone????

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join