It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three New Species of Venomous Primate Identified

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

A venomous primate with two tongues would seem safe from the pet trade, but the big-eyed, teddy-bear face of the slow loris (Nycticebus sp.) has made them a target for illegal pet poachers throughout the animal’s range in southeastern Asia and nearby islands.

A University of Missouri doctoral student and her colleagues recently identified three new species of slow loris. The primates had originally been grouped with another species. Dividing the species into four distinct classes means the risk of extinction is greater than previously believed for the animals but could help efforts to protect the unusual primate. “Four separate species are harder to protect than one, since each species needs to maintain its population numbers and have sufficient forest habitat,” said lead author Rachel Munds, MU doctoral student in anthropology in the College of Arts and Science. “Unfortunately, in addition to habitat loss to deforestation, there is a booming black market demand for the animals. They are sold as pets, used as props for tourist photos or dismembered for use in traditional Asian medicines.”

scienceblog.com...
zeenews.india.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

“Even zoos have difficulty meeting their nutritional needs for certain insects, tree gums and nectars,” said Munds. “Zoos rarely succeed in breeding them. Nearly all the primates in the pet trade are taken from the wild, breaking the bonds of the lorises’ complex and poorly understood social structures. The teeth they use for their venomous bite are then torn out. Many of them die in the squalid conditions of pet markets. Once in the home, pet keepers don’t provide the primates with the social, nutritional and habitat requirements they need to live comfortably. Pet keepers also want to play with the nocturnal animals during the day, disrupting their sleep patterns.”

Amazing discover, I never knew there were venomous primates. At the same time incredibly sad the fate they meet at the hands of my fellow humans. To have their teeth ripped out and to be kept as a pet? I'm sure they rather be killed. They do look awfully cute though, who would think a teddy bear face would have a poisonous bite?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

I personalty think no creature should be a "pet". The word tells you what it is a slave or a prisoner to be held captive from a natural life so we can enjoy petting it when we wish.

The breeding of fellow animals as "pets" causes much death and pain as the population of unwanted grows.

Birds are held without the chance to soar and meet and chose their own mate and make their own choice of nests. It is ugly and cruel and there is no love there for those who think they are "loving" the poor creatures! Love means wanting the best for someone not wanting to OWN and control.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I personalty think no creature should be a "pet". The word tells you what it is a slave or a prisoner to be held captive from a natural life so we can enjoy petting it when we wish.

My only disagreement to that statement is how that might apply to cats and dogs. The cats and dogs that I have "owned", have always treated me as though I were their "pet", and "slave". I have always considered that to be a great honor.

OP:
Those are cute little furry critters. Thanks for posting. I had never heard of the Slow Loris.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

My only disagreement to that statement is how that might apply to cats and dogs. The cats and dogs that I have "owned", have always treated me as though I were their "pet", and "slave". I have always considered that to be a great honor.

OP:
Those are cute little furry critters. Thanks for posting. I had never heard of the Slow Loris.

See ya,
Milt

A cat came once and became my friend and spent 20 years with me...she was never a pet.
But you can see that the "pet" thing has cause puppy and kitten mills among other atrocities and it was never they way it was meant to be.

We have two separate neighbors who "love' horses, so these wondrous creatures stand in their muddy years not a blade of green anywhere all winter the stand with heads down and in clear misery for what so someone can sit on their back a few times a year that the creature gets to go walk somewhere out of the pen. Human "love" is a horrid and painful thing!
It is simply a form of slavery. Anytime a creature cannot follow their own nature or chose their own mate.

A dog is a pack animal in nature it would always be playing and hunting with friends. we lock them in city apartments and they get to go out to "do their business" or a walk on a chain once in a while. They are chained alone and sad in many many yards, the whole of the thing is ugly as sin.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

me and my lady dont own and controll are beagle mutt. she is a trusted member of are pack. she was rescued from a animal shelter in bombed out ghetto brooklyn. she was rial thin when my girl got her 7 years ago. now she is a the queen of the castle. we joke that ever since we started dating that im the dogs assistant now hah! its pretty much truth! but the keeping of exotic animals as pets is kinda #ed if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Upthepunx

me and my lady dont own and controll are beagle mutt. she is a trusted member of are pack. she was rescued from a animal shelter in bombed out ghetto brooklyn. she was rial thin when my girl got her 7 years ago. now she is a the queen of the castle. we joke that ever since we started dating that im the dogs assistant now hah! its pretty much truth! but the keeping of exotic animals as pets is kinda #ed if you ask me.

That is wonderful and I love all animals so much my heart is glad that she has you...but there would be no need of shelters and all the millions a year put to death is humans had done things differently and let the wild become natural friends and visitors and not slaves and "pets".

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

A cat came once and became my friend and spent 20 years with me...she was never a pet.

I am very glad that you had the chance to experience the point that I made above. When an animal accepts you as their own, that is truly a blessing. However, if you were responsible for your "friend", she was, indeed, your pet!

But you can see that the "pet" thing has cause puppy and kitten mills among other atrocities and it was never they way it was meant to be.

Yes, I do. And that is, very truly, a shame, and a blight on humanity.

We have two separate neighbors who "love' horses, so these wondrous creatures stand in their muddy years not a blade of green anywhere all winter the stand with heads down and in clear misery for what so someone can sit on their back a few times a year that the creature gets to go walk somewhere out of the pen.Human "love" is a horrid and painful thing!
It is simply a form of slavery. Anytime a creature cannot follow their own nature or chose their own mate.

Your sorry neighbors are not representative of all horse owners. They only represent those that should be charged under "animal cruelty" laws. "Human "love" is" not "a horrid and painful thing!" Your neighbors are confusing love with "pride of ownership". Many people do the same concerning their spouses.

My youngest daughter's boyfriend is one of those individuals, in regard to both her, and his Pit Bull. If it weren't for possible assault charges, I would, very gladly, treat him as he treats Osiris, by screaming and kicking at him, and confining him to crate for upwards of 16 hours a day.

A dog is a pack animal in nature it would always be playing and hunting with friends.

I am a proud member of my dogs' pack. Though we don't hunt, we do, indeed, have a great time playing with one another.

we lock them in city apartments and they get to go out to "do their business" or a walk on a chain once in a while. They are chained alone and sad in many many yards, the whole of the thing is ugly as sin.

I am not one of your "we", and I never "chain" my friends.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 14-12-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Just like to add I don't like the practice of ownership of another, whatever species.

I disagree with the word pet, It sounds so wrong, the word friend seems much more reasonable to me. Being responsible for a friend that cannot help themselves in the way we have culturally crippled them.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Just like to add I don't like the practice of ownership of another, whatever species.

I am sure you don't! However, that is only because you prefer to interpret the word "ownership" as if it infers dominance. I, on the other hand, prefer to use the word "ownership", in accordance with it's proper definitions.

I disagree with the word pet, It sounds so wrong, the word friend seems much more reasonable to me

Unless one distorts the meaning of the word "pet", why would you not like the way it sounds?

Being responsible for a friend that cannot help themselves in the way we have culturally crippled them.

I'm sorry, but that statement seems like an incoherent thought to me. Would you kindly rephrase it?

See ya,
Milt
edit on 14-12-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Not sure why you two are at each others throats man, you seem to be on the same page relatively.

I've a dog and I love her like family.

However domesticated animals have been domesticated over tens of thousands of years. Exotics animals do not need to be done so, especially this species as it's nutritional values cannot be met even by most zoos let a lone some chump who thinks he needs one. Human survival went in hand in hand with that of canines.

edit on 14-12-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Great find,I had no idea there primates that produce.Or mammals of any kind,though I'm sure i'll be put straight on that

What an amazing creature,such expressive eyes how could they hunt,mistreat and kill these.Though,typical human I wouldnt bat an eyelid at grabbing one of those that capture them and kicking the living # out of him.

I read here on ATS in the last month or two that they've dated man and dogs relationship back 300,000 plus years which is incredible and explains everything.

He's my pet,friend,companion whatever title you want to apply but he's my dog n wouldnt be without him.Dogs and man are an age old partnershhp but stunning creatures like this should be respected,left in peace.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

Not sure why you two are at each others throats man, you seem to be on the same page relatively.

LOL

I can understand why you might think that's the case, but that's surely not my intention.

I just don't understand Char-Lee's problems with the word "pet", the word "ownership", and pet owners in general, and I would like to. It seems to me that Char-Lee wants to use the worst of animal owners to represent ALL animal owners, and I feel a bit offended by being painted in such a way.

Unfortunately, I've never been any good at "sugar coating", and I do, indeed, tend to be very blunt, and to the point.

Anyway, thanks for giving me a chance to explain.

See ya,
Milt

new topics

top topics

join