It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there no disclaimers on news commentary?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I proposed this idea a while back and the big reaction i got was it would inhibit freedom of speech. While i am a free speech advocator, i am failing to see the issue in this.

Here's my concern:

One of the biggest issues we have in our country right now is with our media. What used to be straight facts has turned into nothing but biased opinion and finger pointing. The majority of our news is nothing but extreme left and right wing commentary, with very little facts being reported anymore.

The issue is people see these commentary shows on news networks and think "well he/she said it on the news so it must be true!" Much of what is truly going on in our country is so engulfed in opinion that people really dont know who or what to believe anymore.

Now im not saying we need to pull all commentary shows off the news, and that obviously will never happen because ratings are the new tv god.

All I am suggesting is at the very least, there needs to be some form of disclaimer at the beginning these commentary shows that tell people "this is opinion, not facts" .

This is not prohibiting free speech, they can still say what ever they want, but the average citizen needs that distinction.

There is a reason libraries separate fact from fiction on their shelves...if they didn't people would take everything as hard facts when that obviously isn't the case.

Should this not hold true for those providing us with vital information on what is going on in our world?

edit on 14-12-2012 by mutatismutandis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mutatismutandis

Usually there is...."The Producers of this show....or this NETWORK...this program does not reflect the views of the Station, its owners or advertisers and is for entertainment purposes only...etc...etc."

We do see it a lot...but as you suggest...not enough and not for every program, newscast or special.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

haha! Well done! All kinds of out of work "Experts" bombard us with propaganda!

Here is the one thing they all say that makes me lmao, "LET'S BE CLEAR......." As soon as I hear that, I am looking forward to the big lie ready to come out of their mouth!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Also, you really cant censor the news in a free society. Tell the viewers the sky is falling, the sun is black, trees are walking down the road....and you have that right to say it...along with :The following newscast does not reflect the....." You get it.

Additionally...by nature...a commentary is one's opinion anyway. Meaning...its only their thoughts and may not in any way be true.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

All I am suggesting is at the very least, there needs to be some form of disclaimer at the beginning these commentary shows that tell people "this is opinion, not facts" .

Thats how you know they are about to BS you.

But really dis-info propaganda takes many forms. Look carefully at any evidence they provide. Usually its zip. Or "file footage". They don't date their little news clips either. Like the whole campaign (again) of WMD in Syria. They show some guys in masks and a green bomb in the shot over and over without giving you any context, until you buy it.

They also love to say "Official sources say..." or, "Experts agree...". Then there are biased reports that only come from one source. If I had a dollar for every time they interview someone from the Pentagon, or a "retired Colonel" or "ex CIA"...

You know when they interview each other across the news desk that they are priming you with some agenda.

Ahhh, the news "desk". Notice how it is always in the shot at the beginning as they zoom in to the announcer?

The news "desk". We believe anything that comes from the news "desk" because we were programmed early on to accept the authority of the teachers "desk". And the church "pulpit". And the speakers "podium".

When we see the news desk, pulpit or podium, our eyes stare and our minds go blank.

Sounds like you are ware of the BS though. I can tell because I sense indignation or "righteous" anger at being misled. You'll be fine. Just balance whatever MSM you watch with some other sources for news in order to get a rounded picture. You'll recognize other extreme agendas on the Internet the same way. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle of the two and a bit more complex. Follow "sources" for "breaking news" and any "evidence" they present.
edit on 14-12-2012 by intrptr because: spelling...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
You're drawing a distinction between "news" and "commentary" where none really exists. All news is commentary to a degree, given what events are covered or ignored (and to what extent), how that coverage is presented, etc. Some commentary can be more overt than others, but rest assured that there's an agenda behind anything you see or hear as "news", no matter how subtle that agenda may be manifest.

top topics

join