It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Why should we study the Bible?

page: 1
2
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Why should we study the Bible? Second Timothy 3:16 gives us four reasons.


All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.

Teaching


The first reason is the fact that it teaches us about God.

We can learn some things about him from other sources. The Bible itself mentions two ways we can know about him.

The existence and power of God can be seen through what he has created.


For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:19-20 ESV

Everyone is born with an innate sense of right and wrong.


When Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts.
Romans 2:14-15 ESV

Because these sources of knowledge are universal everyone has some knowledge of God and all religions contain some truth. Unfortunately this knowledge by itself isn’t enough to enable people to really know God because it is incomplete and is usually mixed with false beliefs.

In the Bible we can find out everything that God wants to reveal to us about himself. It is the only source of information that is complete and free from any error.

Reproof


The Bible does more that simply give us information about God. It also tells us how he wants us to live. Jesus has given us a summary of what God requires from us.


And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?”

Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Mark 12:28-31 ESV

Perhaps you love God but do you love him with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength? God created us and every good thing we have is a gift from him. He deserves first place in every part of our life. Any time we put anything else ahead of him we are violating the most important commandment he has given us.

The best way for us to show our love for God is to obey his command that we love our neighbor as ourself. Most of us have some love for our neighbor and are willing to do good for him but how many of us love him as much as we love ourself?

If we examine our lives honestly and compare them with what the Bible says we will be forced to admit that we haven’t lived up to what God requires of us.

Correction


God knows that none of us can meet his standards by our own efforts but he loves us and so has made a way for our sins to be forgiven. He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to save us from our sins. Jesus lived a perfect life and completely fulfilled God’s requirements. He then allowed himself to be crucified so that he could bear the punishment we deserve


But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way;and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Isaiah 53:5-6 ESV

Anyone who will acknowledge his sins and his inability to meet God’s standard and put his faith in Jesus will have his sins forgiven.


If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
Romans 10:9-10 ESV

Training in righteousness


Finally the Bible tells us how we are supposed to live after we have been forgiven. Forgiveness brings with it a new life and a new relationship with God. This change must be reflected in the way we live. If we obey God completely our life be radically different from what it was before.

God will be the center of everything we do.


Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.
1 Corinthians 10:31-33 ESV

We will realize that this earthly life is temporary and we must use it to prepare for the heavenly life that is ahead of us.


If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
Colossians 3:1-4 ESV

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:19-21 ESV

There is one mistake some people make when they read what the Bible says about living the Christian life. They think that this is what we must do to be saved. The Bible plainly says that we aren’t saved by living a good life but by faith in Christ, but after we are saved we will begin living a life of service to God.


For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:8-10 ESV

If you have tried to live a Christian life and failed you should examine your life and see whether you have become a Christian by believing in Christ. You need to first be saved by faith in Christ and then God will give you the power you need to live a life that pleases him.




posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
"It is the only source of information that is complete and free from errors"
Had to chuckle at this



posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by theophilus40
 


The Bible, as a book, is one of the most important fortunes of literature. The poetry and beauty in it's verse is undeniable. For that reason, and that reason alone, we should study the Bible and be thankful for it. But searching for and learning about God in the words of a book is a paradox, for something infinite or eternal cannot be confined nor described in words.

What you're learning from the Bible is man's conception of the idea of God, and nothing more.



posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by theophilus40
 


The Bible, as a book, is one of the most important fortunes of literature. The poetry and beauty in it's verse is undeniable. For that reason, and that reason alone, we should study the Bible and be thankful for it. But searching for and learning about God in the words of a book is a paradox, for something infinite or eternal cannot be confined nor described in words.

What you're learning from the Bible is man's conception of the idea of God, and nothing more.



Which Bible?

the OP is using a ESV with some partial verses missing. compare the 1John5:7 of the ESV with that of the AV.


edit on 14-12-2012 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChesterJohn

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by theophilus40
 


The Bible, as a book, is one of the most important fortunes of literature. The poetry and beauty in it's verse is undeniable. For that reason, and that reason alone, we should study the Bible and be thankful for it. But searching for and learning about God in the words of a book is a paradox, for something infinite or eternal cannot be confined nor described in words.

What you're learning from the Bible is man's conception of the idea of God, and nothing more.



Which Bible?

the OP is using a ESV with some partial verses missing. compare the 1John5:7 of the ESV with that of the AV.


edit on 14-12-2012 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)


I'm not a theologian and never limit myself to any one philosophical interpretation of the universe, but I'm partial to Ecclesiastes of the Old Testament.



posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by theophilus40
 

something infinite or eternal cannot be confined nor described in words.

Someone who is infinitely powerful can be described in words if he chooses to do so. If you say he cannot then you are actually denying that he is infinite.



posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by theophilus40
 


Tell it to the Dad who carved a Pentagram on his six-year-old son's back from studying "The Bible."

"The Bible" should be studied only as a "WHAT NOT TO DO" handbook. And an ancient, out-of-date one at that.
Sorry, but, as I just posted on another thread:
The Bible can be considered a weapon of mass destruction as well as those things you listed in the OP. Sorry, but I think it should be archived as false, archaic teaching with NO RELEVANCE to modern society.



posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by theophilus40
 


Tell it to the Dad who carved a Pentagram on his six-year-old son's back from studying "The Bible."

"The Bible" should be studied only as a "WHAT NOT TO DO" handbook. And an ancient, out-of-date one at that.
Sorry, but, as I just posted on another thread:
The Bible can be considered a weapon of mass destruction as well as those things you listed in the OP. Sorry, but I think it should be archived as false, archaic teaching with NO RELEVANCE to modern society.




Because people never hijack and twist the truth do they?

You are using ONE example of someone that is most likely a lunatic to make your point? Seriously???

Anybody behaving like this child's father does not belong to the family of believers. People can claim whatever they like, and they do. You simply go along with what this man says because it fits with your agenda of the bible being out of date.

Mankind is the same today as they were thousands of years ago... wretched sinners. Despite all of our technological advances and so called advanced civilisation mankind still murders, steals, lies, rapes and the list goes on (and you say the bible is not relevant today???).

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. Nobody and I mean nobody comes to the Father except through him. Jesus teaches us to repent of our sins and turn to God. Repent or perish, it is a simple message.



posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by theophilus40
 


Tell it to the Dad who carved a Pentagram on his six-year-old son's back from studying "The Bible."

"The Bible" should be studied only as a "WHAT NOT TO DO" handbook. And an ancient, out-of-date one at that.
Sorry, but, as I just posted on another thread:
The Bible can be considered a weapon of mass destruction as well as those things you listed in the OP. Sorry, but I think it should be archived as false, archaic teaching with NO RELEVANCE to modern society.


Yep ^^^. I agree with you 100% Wildtimes!

The Bible is single handedly responsible for the more immoral oppression and exploitation of women than any other book.

Not only that, you can find just about find anything you want to justify anything you want.

Heck, even in the New Testament, we have conflicting stories in the gospel, questionable authorship and 2 leaders who have different teachings, Jesus and Paul.



posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by theophilus40
 


Tell it to the Dad who carved a Pentagram on his six-year-old son's back from studying "The Bible."

"The Bible" should be studied only as a "WHAT NOT TO DO" handbook. And an ancient, out-of-date one at that.
Sorry, but, as I just posted on another thread:
The Bible can be considered a weapon of mass destruction as well as those things you listed in the OP. Sorry, but I think it should be archived as false, archaic teaching with NO RELEVANCE to modern society.


Yep ^^^. I agree with you 100% Wildtimes!

The Bible is single handedly responsible for the more immoral oppression and exploitation of women than any other book.

Not only that, you can find just about find anything you want to justify anything you want.

Heck, even in the New Testament, we have conflicting stories in the gospel, questionable authorship and 2 leaders who have different teachings, Jesus and Paul.




Quote one difference in the teachings between Paul and Jesus (please keep it in the full context of all of their teachings).



posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob
 


Luke 10:25-37
King James Version (KJV)
25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.


The Central Difference

The central difference between Yeshua's teaching and Paul's church was in justification by faith. Paul believed the statement in Ephesians 2:8:

"You have been saved by God's love and kindness because you believed. It was not because of anything you did, but it was a gift from God."

Yeshua said repeatedly what was reported in John 3:3:
"'I tell you the truth. No person can see God's kingdom if he is not born again.'"

And in another form in Luke 17:20-21:
"The kingdom of God does not come visibly, nor will people say 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you."

Humankind was to develop its own salvation by changing within. No one would give it to a person as a gift. Yeshua promised the transformation would require work:

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Matthew 7: 13-14)

Spiritual development, Yeshua assured us, was going to be hard. He described the thought and behavior that should be characteristic of a spiritual person, but said it would take work to attain it. He never suggested that all a person had to do was swear allegiance to him and nothing else would be required.
30ce.com...


Paul and his teachings are more controversial, among Biblical scholars than the teaching of Jesus were when we was alive.


The famous theologian, Helmut Koester, in his The Theological Aspects of Primitive Christian Heresy:

"Paul himself stands in the twilight zone of heresy. In reading Paul, one immediately encounters a major difficulty. Whatever Jesus had preached did not become the content of the missionary proclamation of Paul. . . . Sayings of Jesus do not play a role in Paul 's understanding of the event of salvation. . . . Paul did not care at all what Jesus had said. . . . Had Paul been completely successful very little of the sayings of Jesus would have survived."
30ce.com...





edit on 15-12-2012 by windword because: source



posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob
 


Luke 10:25-37
King James Version (KJV)
25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.


The Central Difference

The central difference between Yeshua's teaching and Paul's church was in justification by faith. Paul believed the statement in Ephesians 2:8:

"You have been saved by God's love and kindness because you believed. It was not because of anything you did, but it was a gift from God."

Yeshua said repeatedly what was reported in John 3:3:
"'I tell you the truth. No person can see God's kingdom if he is not born again.'"

And in another form in Luke 17:20-21:
"The kingdom of God does not come visibly, nor will people say 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you."

Humankind was to develop its own salvation by changing within. No one would give it to a person as a gift. Yeshua promised the transformation would require work:

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Matthew 7: 13-14)

Spiritual development, Yeshua assured us, was going to be hard. He described the thought and behavior that should be characteristic of a spiritual person, but said it would take work to attain it. He never suggested that all a person had to do was swear allegiance to him and nothing else would be required.
30ce.com...


Paul and his teachings are more controversial, among Biblical scholars than the teaching of Jesus were when we was alive.


The famous theologian, Helmut Koester, in his The Theological Aspects of Primitive Christian Heresy:

"Paul himself stands in the twilight zone of heresy. In reading Paul, one immediately encounters a major difficulty. Whatever Jesus had preached did not become the content of the missionary proclamation of Paul. . . . Sayings of Jesus do not play a role in Paul 's understanding of the event of salvation. . . . Paul did not care at all what Jesus had said. . . . Had Paul been completely successful very little of the sayings of Jesus would have survived."
30ce.com...





edit on 15-12-2012 by windword because: source



Wrong.

Jesus had not yet been crucified and as such had not died for our sins when approached by the lawyer. This is why context is so important!!!

The law had not been fulfilled by Christ until his death and ressurrection. Animal sacrifice was still required up until his death along with obedience to all of the old testament laws.



posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob
 


By that logic, we can't trust anything Jesus said, without first referring to Paul to tell us what to think.



posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob
 


By that logic, we can't trust anything Jesus said, without first referring to Paul to tell us what to think.



No.

Anyone could become a christian without any of Paul's letters.

Jesus taught:

Repentance, Baptism (in water and by the spirit), Salvation through faith in him.


Paul taught:

Repentance, Baptism (in water and by the spirit), Salvation through faith in Christ.


A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher. (Luke 6:40)



posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I thought you were asking a question instead of answering one.

I don't care if you study the Bible. However, Bible stories are refered to throughout literature and in everyday things like newspapers. It is good to know the most popular Bible stories.

For the same reason it is also good to know fairy tales and the most popular children's books.



posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob
 


A more accurate translation, I believe is in the King James Bible.

Luke 6:40
The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.


Paul said:

Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. 1 Corinthians 4:15

Jesus said:

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

What gospel is Paul referring to, except the one he made up for himself?



edit on 16-12-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob
 


A more accurate translation, I believe is in the King James Bible.

Luke 6:40
The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.


Paul said:

Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. 1 Corinthians 4:15

Jesus said:

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

What gospel is Paul referring to, except the one he made up for himself?



edit on 16-12-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)




In the ancient Greek you will find a capital F for the reference to Father given by Christ.

You will find a lower case f for the title used by Paul. Paul is likening himself as a father of a family of children while Jesus is talking about a deity. It would be idolatry to put someone ahead of or equal with the Father.

Would it be a sin to call your dad 'father'?



posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob
 


It doesn't matter. What Jesus said is clear. It also clear, that Paul either didn't know what Jesus said, or that he ignored it and placed himself as the supreme authority of his new founded church, not Jesus or his teachings.

Both James, the brother of Jesus and Peter debated and rebutted Paul in his teachings of faith, not works.

Paul says:

2Cor.8:21 for we aim at what is honorable not only in the Lord's sight but also in the sight of men.
Rom.12:17
Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all men.
Rom.14:18
he who thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.
1Cor.10:33
just as I try to please all men in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.

Jesus says:

Luke.16:15
But he said to them, You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts; for what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.
Luke.6:26
Woe to you, when all men speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.



posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob
 


It doesn't matter. What Jesus said is clear. It also clear, that Paul either didn't know what Jesus said, or that he ignored it and placed himself as the supreme authority of his new founded church, not Jesus or his teachings.

Both James, the brother of Jesus and Peter debated and rebutted Paul in his teachings of faith, not works.

Paul says:

2Cor.8:21 for we aim at what is honorable not only in the Lord's sight but also in the sight of men.
Rom.12:17
Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all men.
Rom.14:18
he who thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.
1Cor.10:33
just as I try to please all men in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.

Jesus says:

Luke.16:15
But he said to them, You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts; for what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.
Luke.6:26
Woe to you, when all men speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.




Your thinking is so flawed on this that I do not know where to begin.

Jesus was honorable before men, not because he wanted to justify himself before them, simply because he was perfect. Paul did not want anyone to have an excuse for not accepting the message. Jesus asks us to be perfect as his heavenly Father is perfect, this also means being honorable before men by default (loving your neighbour as yourself).

The pharisees justified themselves before men rather than trying to please God. They were fake.

Jesus taught:

By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:35)

Jesus came to serve:

just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Matthew 20:28)

This pleased God and it was honorable before men.


Paul is not talking about justifying oneself before men, he is talking about being honorable before men in order to win them over to Christ. Do you really believe that Paul would have been whipped five times with 40 lashes and beaten with iron rods if he were trying to justify himself before men???


You have just distorted the scriptures and twisted their meaning!!! Be careful of what you do, there is somebody else in scripture who did the same thing:

Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:


“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.”

Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.”
(Matthew 4:1-11)



A final word of warning:

Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. (James 3:1)



posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob
 



It would be idolatry to put someone ahead of or equal with the Father.


So he was a self proclaimed thief and murderer... and an obvious liar

as you can see....

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:



And we can add idolator to the list of Pauls issues as well

Thanks for that....


edit on 16-12-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)




top topics



 
2
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join