It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The idiocricy of some people..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
After lurking for awhile on these forums, and signing up last year I have notice people that really cannot understand sarcasm or completly fail to read and or comprehend some posts.

My point is this, here is the post I made about a YouTube video I had found Post, I was being sarcastic and joking about this video. I originally said I was leaning that this was a hoax due to the fact that the date in the video was 06/08/2018, etc gave an overview for the people that could not view it. However I edited my post because the sarcasm was lost on people here. The video was an [color= red]OBVIOUS fake, I knew this, no I wasn't trying to say it was a real event, I was however wondering if it was from a movie or TV series or possibly, because it had a similar feel to it as Falling Skies, an I like that serie, if it was I was going to try to find it to watch. Now after all that mess, most people that responded were so immature, rude as well as being generalized as*es... That is such a pity. I just want to say get a grip on yourselves, relax and have a beer or something, and stop being so up tight.

Grim

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well, you should have worded your post differently.

I can't wait to read your reply. Is that sarcasm? Is it?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'm kind of new to both this site and computers and I'm still trying to learn how to express myself in the printed word . I'm a pretty good speaker who uses all manner of tricks of voice and expression to let people know when I'm being sarcastic or just trying to be funny .

I feel for you because I've learned almost none my tricks translate into the printed word . But hang in there like I'm trying to do , this is a great place to learn new things .

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Loosen up, OP.
Everyone has been there. If you stick around long enough you'll get to know who is likely to get you and who isn't.
There are just some here who take this site very seriously, and others who treat it like a mall, and meander about all day with no real purpose.

JAK

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

A fair rant Grimmley but it is a precarious path. Here is a post which I think greatly exemplifies just one of the shortcomings which communicating in writing can present, particularly when we are unfamiliar with the author of the words we read:

Vocal Stressing

and, in fairness to ermm... well, at least two members whom I believe may be happy to point it out should I not mention it, I have been guilty of not recognising sarcastic comment and found myself having to apologise after responding, but in my defence I have also seen things which I considered so outrageous I initially believed they could only be offered as sarcasm only to be left feeling quite surprised later to discover that was not the case.

[color=grey] (and secretly red-faced after applauding one particularly 'humorous' comment)
edit on 14/12/12 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I S&F'ed you, because you're right. Some folks didn't even read your post. It was quite clear, and nothing in it sounded like you thought it was real. Lulz above me is right though, you'll get this, especially from the crowd that doesn't read and comprehend before engaging keyboard.

Interesting vid. I'd like to know its origins as well.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

No the sarcasm was saying I was leaning to a hoax, etc the part that was a fail was poking fun at the whole thing by doing it, I am guessing they really do need to make a sarcasm font, I am very sarcastic by nature, the part that dumbfounded me was no one seeming to catch asking what movie or tv series it's from.

I am man enough to admit that I should have reread to ensure what I had wrote before continuing to post it, but as I stated before I got a call whole I was writing it, I work security so when I mean call not a phone call. Something I physically had to respond to it. I DID however consider that the people on this forum were smart enough to grasp that, I was sadly mistaken, and thus disappointing. There are a lot of people on this forum that so have good ideas and opinions, as well as deductive reasoning, whole others lack all the above completely.

Now however it had proved three things in the reading the replies:
1. People do not read the entire post completely, if they do they do not always comprehend what was stated and or asked.
2. People are to quick to call people names
3. People are to fill of themselves, and take themselves way to serious.

When you engage in a conversation whether it is in person or in message format, you listen to/read the entire thing prior to responding and if you do not understand what is being discussed you ask.

When it comes to taking ones self to serious, it is unhealthy and leads to undo stress, and honestly I am only serious when I have to be, even when having a serious conversation or discussion.

Grim

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I read this, and the original thread and for some reason it made me grumpy. Someone did say they thought it was from your series. "Falling Skies". How is anyone on here going to know where it is from unless they are the ones who posted it? You are asking people to guess basically, and they did.

Second the title of this rant is offensive, calling people idiots, is not generally a good thing.

Third I notice that you did not star people who responded to your thread, which imho is common curtsy agree with them or not.

Just wanted to contribute to the general tone and do a bit of ranting along with you. I did think the ones who go on and on about "this has been posted here before, etc", were a bit rolling eye rude, but that kind of remark is common as dirt on here.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

I was in the middle of trying to actually respond an explain that it was sarcasm, and when I went to post it, the thread was closed... The whole thread was not up that long actually. Which is why I had to link it here, and explain it since i was not able to in the original post.

I do use stars if someone has the ability to articulate their thoughts and or ideas. I do flag topics I think that are interesting. I personally don't care either way about them lol.

Grim

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JAK

This is true, as well as when one does not see the orator they can not also see the body language either. You will learn more of what a person is really saying by body language more so than what they say or how they say it, 99% of people cannot hide their tells when they communicate...

Grim

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
idiocricy???????

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
It's spelled idiocracy and the word you're actually looking for is idiocy.

Stop digging.

edit on 12/15/2012 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join