It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary McKinnon will not face UK charges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Gary McKinnon will not face UK charges

www.bbc.co.uk

Computer hacker Gary McKinnon, whose extradition to the US was blocked, will not face charges in the UK, bringing to an end a 10-year legal battle.

Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer QC said the chances of a successful conviction were "not high".

Janis Sharp, Mr McKinnon's mother, said the news was "amazing" and she was grateful the case was "all over now".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I think this step was to be unexpected, particularly given the documentation I posted in my previous thread Gary McKinnon extradition to US blocked by Theresa May.

The links I posted in that prior thread included a link to the fairly lengthy Crown Prosecution Service evaluation (dated 26 February 2009) of the evidence at the link below:
cdn.ttgtmedia.com...

A summary of the evidence appeared on the third page. (The first page is blank).

The Crown Prosecution Service document concluded that the evidence available at that time was insufficient to prosecute Gary McKinnon.

As many of you will know, Gary Mckinnon is the UFO hacker that spent years seeking to avoid extradition to the US to face trial for hacking into US military networks. For anyone unfamiliar with him, he can be seen in the old video below:

Prior to the election, the Conservative Party had voiced support for Gary Mckinnon and pledged itself to reforming the lopsided extradition treaty.

Whether or not Gary McKinnon saw anything of interest when hacking American computers, his case is interesting because of the issues it raised about UK extradition rules. It has provoked quite a bit of debate - far beyond the UFO community.

edit on 14-12-2012 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Brilliant positive news for a change. Hooray for McKinnon! I didn't expect him to get out of this so easy, but I think it is quite unjust to charge a person with a medical condition which really did fuel his obsession and lessen his rational sense of judgment that other people would have. Glad to see things worked out this way.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
There is now fairly wide reporting of this news by the mainstream media.

For example:

"The Independent" newspaper's website has an article at:
www.independent.co.uk...

Computer hacker, Gary McKinnon, will face no further criminal proceedings over the hacking of US government computers the Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer QC, said today.

"The potential difficulties in bringing a case in England and Wales now should not be underestimated, not least the passage of time, the logistics of transferring sensitive evidence prepared for a court in the US to London for trial, the participation of US government witnesses in the trial and the need fully to comply with the duties of disclosure imposed on the CPS. The prospects of a conviction against Mr McKinnon which reflects the full extent of his alleged criminality are not high.

"After consulting with the Metropolitan Police Service and the CPS and having carefully considered matters, on 4 December this year, US authorities indicated to us that they would be willing to co-operate with a prosecution in England and Wales if that would serve the interest of justice.

"However, they do not consider that making all the US witnesses available for trial in London and transferring all of the US material to this jurisdiction would be in the interests of justice given our representations and the reasons for the decision that the US was the appropriate forum."

"The Guardian" newspaper's website has an article at:
www.guardian.co.uk...

McKinnon has been on bail but under threat for most of the time since he was arrested in 2005. After many twists and turns in the legal process, the home secretary, Theresa May, announced in October that he would not be extradited on human rights grounds, because medical reports warned he was at risk of suicide if sent to face trial in the US.

The statement said although the US had indicated it would co-operate on bringing a prosecution in England and Wales, it would present enormous difficulties.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
Brilliant positive news for a change. Hooray for McKinnon! I didn't expect him to get out of this so easy, but I think it is quite unjust to charge a person with a medical condition which really did fuel his obsession and lessen his rational sense of judgment that other people would have. Glad to see things worked out this way.

Indeed.

Thankfully in the UK, we don't put mentally challenged and mentally disabled people to death.
Actually we don't put anyone to death, no civilised country does.

Not saying Gary would have faced the death penalty, just showing the difference in "justice" between the 2 nations involved.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Somewhere, there's a gym bag and bathtub with this guy's name on them.

Anyone want to guess at a time frame?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

That kind of treatment is usually reserved for potentially rogue intel, particularly those who might know too much.

As for the OP. The proles occasionally get thrown a bone, although I strongly suspect that Mr McKinnon has probably been paid a customary visit.

Nice warm fluffy news for all of us as Yuletide approaches and a nice warm distraction as operation "Yew tree" reaches its predictable, inevitably tepid and woefully inadequate conclusion.

You see, not everything is a conspiracy. Just the important stuff.

edit on 14-12-2012 by markatUCR because: I wanted to include a hyperlink to some important stuff, by way of example.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Hi op

Great news, I seen it earlier.

Im glad its stopped at this point

Do not forget

What he has seen and what he had on his pc is very (dont know the words to describe so will say this)

Internet back then what he was using was dial up, very bloody slow, and the pics he had were in excess
of 100 mb
so far starters what he had on his pc was jack all, bits n bytes (maybe some docs)

edit on 2012/06/12 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

Edit:
sorry meant to say The pics he did not have
edit on 2012/06/12 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Well, that is good news for McKinnon and his family. I hope he will have a unworrysome goodnights rest.

Can't wait for him to tell us what he did hold back as a bargin chip against the US government.

(I assume he did not tell us everything he did see in NASA files)

edit on 14/12/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this, I just read it in the MSM.

Shame some of the online news portal comments are ignorant about the whole story and put forward a negative view of this whole sham.

I have to say, I REALLY hope Gary and his mum have the best Christmas EVER! May his dreams be filled with sugarplums and peace of mind.

nuff said.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Look forward to hearing more from Gary about what he did or did not see.

Good luck to him!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RP2SticksOfDynamite

I doubt he wants to talk about this much, he's probably glad the whole affair is over and just wants to get on with life.

Maybe there will be a book.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Good, TBH the US did what they normally do when there systems get hacked, they make up a bunch of crap that the hackers didn't do. they have even done it to a ton of hackers that are US citizens. saying that some how with software they have caused physical damage, which is a load of rubbish.

Also I'm glad that we didn't bend over for the US and also we didn't prosecute him, he has had a slap on the wrist and he now knows what not to do. I know some people with aspergers syndrome it can vary quite a lot and a lot of things that they can't understand is social situations like when not to do thing and what not to say.

Weather i think he was playing the aspergers card to much or he does have it to that point where he didn't know he was in the wrong we will no know unless some one here personally knows him, But i am glad he is free.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
what a very very very very very very very very very very,
smart move!

now we wont get to see the evidence

the whole point was that, if he was tried in the UK...... then the evidence becomes public.

but now......smart dudes

peace

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
HOORAY

Such a shame he suffered ten years of worry for exposing the weakness of the militaries network.

When's the film going to be released

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by definity

He has never said he doesn't know right from wrong.

He said he felt it was morally correcf to break the law in order to get UFO truth.

QV.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Hadn't considered that angle. It has merit. And I can't imagine he hasn't been warned off about revealing any info not already in the pubic domain.

I'm glad he's still alive and now a free man again. It should never have come this far.

Please take a moment to think about and to thank all those whistle blowers that have over the years paid the ultimate price.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by merkins

i thought that the evidence thing was the ONLY issue

the US wanted him as to keep the evidence private....in the UK it will be public

but now, to get round this....they dropped the charges

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by qvision
reply to post by definity

He has never said he doesn't know right from wrong.

He said he felt it was morally correcf to break the law in order to get UFO truth.

QV.

Yes he didn't say that you are right in all respects, But I can see that now thinking about it, I just think he was a man on a mission for the truth.

Like all of us!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

He should face Extradition to America. He committed a crime against the United States of America. Also. Hacking U.S. Government databases can be Considered an Act of War.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join