It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Shooting at Newtown, Connecticut elementary school.

page: 136
<< 133  134  135    137  138  139 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

If google cache has the original post then it's not surprising.

EDIT
Yep same one

started shooting multiple shows – more than she could count

edit on 17-12-2012 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

actually, i quoted a source that referenced A poll ... can you prove that this specific poll was done in error ? the source i quoted did not perform or provide the polling service.

besides, it's not like it'd be the first time.
got any idea how many polling services have been sued and settled ?
that's one reason i seldom quote statistics -- they are too easily manipulated.

so, based on the possibility that specific poll was misrepresented ... if not 85%, maybe it would have been 95% or 75% or maybe as low as 60% ... any way you look at it, it's still a majority.
so what's your point besides making a mountain out of a molehill ?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

He is a Recreation major
so ???
does that disqualify him from learning a new trick ?

apparently, he must have been pretty good cause they didn't discover any problems for 10yrs after the fact

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Steffenfield

way to go and thanks for sharing.
i missed all of the early reports so any re-posting of pertinent conflicts would be appreciated.

ETA --> it's the 2nd sentence that makes me think the little girl's survival may be true.
however, in the published story, she "ran" out of the school, covered in blood.

embellishment is normal in situations like these and perhaps that is all it is and i can certainly understand a desire for anonymnity, however, some confirmation sure would be nice.

either way, i still cannot reconcile a priest discussing ANY counseling session with the press ... i just can't wrap my brain around that one.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Your source said it was done by Research 2000. And the guy has been proven a fraud in court and is paying fines for it.

As the debate rages on, it's interesting to take a look at how Bushmaster, the gun company that made the AR-15 assault rifle Lanza used, advertised the semiautomatic to the masses.

Feel manly with a Bushmaster assault weapon. Hell they don't even advertise it for self defense.
edit on 17-12-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I sincerely wish we could throw the whole Aspergers part of this mess, out the window. Unless the kid was on some kind of heavy duty meds to help manage his condition, there's darn near no way being an aspie could have had any bearing on his ability to commit this type of crime.

Yes, people with Aspergers can be prone to hair trigger, violent outbursts "in the moment" but that doesn't fit the scenario here. Most aspies are quiet, withdrawn, non-social (not anti-social), hyper focused people who just want to be left the hell alone. Some tend to lack empathetic cues which would make them less emotionally affected by something as heinous as the killing of children but on the flipside, this makes them less likely to premeditate such an action because, what would be the point?

Other aspies are hyper empathetic. They can't bear the though of anything suffering, can't even kill bugs, so they wouldn't be in a position to plan to do harm to someone or something because it would be too emotionally torturous on themselves.

I just told someone, not 30 minutes ago, that the mention of Lanza having Aspergers is going to mark all the geeky, gamer, aspie kids the same way goth kids were marked with suspicion after Columbine. I have no doubt that they walked into their classrooms today and were given sideways glances and were spoken about behind their backs. It makes me sick.

Whatever caused that boy to snap, if that's even what happened, I would be my next paycheck it didn't have a damn thing to do with ASD.

For the record, I'm the parent of 2 ASD young adults, am on the spectrum myself, and I've been active in the aspie community (yes, there is one) for 20 years.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by stormy46237

It's the way people's minds work. Hell, every time there is a shooting, all the other millions of gun owners get lumped in with the shooter. A gun is used in a shooting, while billions were not, people want to blame all the tools, even though the ratio of guns used in crimes, to guns not used in crimes is tiny.

After some dumbass kid tried to get on stage at a concert, and got tossed off the stage and died, us metalheads had to listen how bad our concerts were, and how mosh pits needed to be banned because a dumbass kid was killed.

People that wore black trenchcoats had the same kind of treatment. The list goes on.

No one takes notice really until it is a group that affects their life somehow is singled out.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Your source said it was done by Research 2000. And the guy has been proven a fraud in court and is paying fines for it

what is your point ?
are you suggesting any polling service that has been fined should be discredited ?

ahhh, yet, these guys are quoted daily ... Gallup (2012)

www.dailykos.com...#
The Justice Department said Wednesday that it has joined a lawsuit against The Gallup Organization alleging the polling company filed false claims on contracts with the U.S. Mint, the State Department and other government agencies

edit on 17-12-2012 by Honor93 because: typo

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

First, dont give the condition a nickname, thats no better than calling a spastic a spaz. Its insulting and in no way needed to make your point, not to mention lazy.

If anything having Aspergers syndrome actually REDUCES the chances that a sufferer will be able to carry out this type of attack. Many sufferers are sensitive to loud noise, strong smells (smoke, guts opened to the air by rifle rounds, vomit, bile, the like), odd lighting circumstances, and cannot handle large doses of sensory data. Some, when presented with large sensory input, will act to reduce the level of input. Shutting thier eyes, putting fingers in ears, going into a corner and staring at the part where the walls meet, or placing themselves in a situation where that input is drastically reduced, will not make them an effective mass murderer in most cases.

However, Aspergers affects people differently, and to differing degrees. Although it is not a psychotic or schizoid illness, it can alter ones perception of reality, and therefore there is every chance that in this case, the psychological conditions under which the perpetrator acted, are indeed going to be important when working out why he chose to kill these children, which in turn will be very important if attacks like this are ever going to be stopped!

It matters not one whit what people think of gun control law. The problem in my objective veiw, is not that there are guns, but that people are walking around the USA who are so damaged and psychologically disordered, that if they DO come into contact with a deadly weapon, they might decide to kill as many people as they can. THAT is the problem, not the availability of weapons, but the fact that there are people who would consider using them in such an utterly devastating and evil manner!

edit on 17-12-2012 by TrueBrit because: spelling (which is probably still bloody awful, for which I apologise).

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

ah yes, more psycho-babble crap like what happened with this guy, right ?
nidal hasan - www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

not sure when or where all this mental illness talk originated, but in the latest briefing (mentioned previously) it was stated more than once than NO evidence of mental illness has been found or indicated at this time

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

No, not really. This is nothing to do with political correctness, its about accuracy. And this is not psycho-babble. I know about Aspergers because a very good friend of mine has it, and in order to communicate with him, I have found it helpful to make myself aware of some of the possible behavioral affects it can have on sufferers. Psycho-babble is vauge, directionless, and means nothing. I am trying to add detail and accuracy to the thread. My apologies if that offends you.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

well seems like you are in denial maybe ....Megan Kelly was all over it this AM

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Someone reported that his brother said he might have some problems, it then snowballed.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

It originated with a statement made by the brother, and other people that supposedly knew them, if I recall correctly. The mother is said to have quit teaching to take care of the shooter because of it for example.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

First, dont give the condition a nickname, thats no better than calling a spastic a spaz. Its insulting and in no way needed to make your point, not to mention lazy.

edit on 17-12-2012 by TrueBrit because: spelling (which is probably still bloody awful, for which I apologise).
Insulting and lazy? That's funny because everyone in my Aspergers support groups, and those of my kids gave ourselves that nickname by choice. Blind people sometimes refer to each other as "blinkers". It's a non-pc term but ok in their own social group. Just because you get butt-hurt over a nickname, doesn't make it insulting.

You write as if you have a clue but do you live with it? Do you live in a household where the majority of its members are on the spectrum? I'm there, right now, every day of my and my children's lives.

And yes, everything about Lanza will need to be researched with a fine tooth comb to better undertand why he did what he did. All I'm saying is that people are latching on to something that those who do not live with it, generally do not understand. They don't get it that it's unlikely to have much bearing on what happened and if it has, then it's a rare and non-typical situation.

As TKDRL above pointed out, the attention gets drawn to a group for the wrong reasons and everyone in that group suffers because of it.

@TKDRL After Columbine, my goth kid was singled out by his school system. Didn't matter that he was a mathlete, star wrestler, and on the Dean's List. All anyone cared about from that point forward was the fact that he had black fingernails and wore my dad's vintage trench coat.

edit on 17-12-2012 by stormy46237 because: spelling error

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiglenDyn
I've been following this thread pretty closely but maybe I missed something.
I thought there was only one injured survivor, the woman who was shot in the foot.
Can anyone tell me who the second one was?

I read on an overseas site that it was a child who played dead in the classroom full of the murdered kids. (One of the first kids out of the building covered in blood.)

(Again, don't know if true or not.)

Girl plays dead

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I dont live with that PARTICULAR psychological disorder. I may suffer various others however, bought on by my early expiriences in educational establishments, which were brutal, warlike and painful, every day, for sixteen years. Im twenty seven now, and have managed over the years to learn not to strike out at people who oppose me, not to fall into a physical combat stance when approached too closely. Every single day there are things that have the capacity to send me into a rage, and the consquences of such a thing bare no thinking about. We all have our crosses to bear.

And regarding what you say about Aspies being a perfectly acceptable parlance, well ok, my bad. My friend was quite offended when people made such casual reference to his condition. Knowing that, I felt it was just to point out how insensitive that could come across as. If Im wrong,Im wrong.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormy46237
I sincerely wish we could throw the whole Aspergers part of this mess, out the window. Unless the kid was on some kind of heavy duty meds to help manage his condition, there's darn near no way being an aspie could have had any bearing on his ability to commit this type of crime.

Yes, people with Aspergers can be prone to hair trigger, violent outbursts "in the moment" but that doesn't fit the scenario here. Most aspies are quiet, withdrawn, non-social (not anti-social), hyper focused people who just want to be left the hell alone. Some tend to lack empathetic cues which would make them less emotionally affected by something as heinous as the killing of children but on the flipside, this makes them less likely to premeditate such an action because, what would be the point?

Other aspies are hyper empathetic. They can't bear the though of anything suffering, can't even kill bugs, so they wouldn't be in a position to plan to do harm to someone or something because it would be too emotionally torturous on themselves.

I just told someone, not 30 minutes ago, that the mention of Lanza having Aspergers is going to mark all the geeky, gamer, aspie kids the same way goth kids were marked with suspicion after Columbine. I have no doubt that they walked into their classrooms today and were given sideways glances and were spoken about behind their backs. It makes me sick.

Whatever caused that boy to snap, if that's even what happened, I would be my next paycheck it didn't have a damn thing to do with ASD.

For the record, I'm the parent of 2 ASD young adults, am on the spectrum myself, and I've been active in the aspie community (yes, there is one) for 20 years.

There's a YouTube Video of his Uncle saying he was on Fanapt.

As the parent of a child with Autism and severe MR, I completely understand. I have one family member who constantly calls her "psycho" when she acted out because she didn't understand why daddy didn't want to be married to me, and apparently her, anymore. So when she acted out, she took it out on everyone around her because she didn't know how to say, "I'm upset, help me. I can't deal with this."

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Take it with a grain of salt because of the source. However, apparently authorities are removing Adam's computers today and they are smashed. Today? Really? More than 72 hours after the incident? Isn't that usually one of the first things that they do?

Police Recover Smashed Computer

new topics

top topics

<< 133  134  135    137  138  139 >>

join