It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Shooting at Newtown, Connecticut elementary school.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
i fear there will be many more deaths before the 21st. there are alot of freaked people out there, and the number of them that take this seriously cannot be underestimated...my advice, be very cautious for the next 7 days. be extra vigilant around large groups of people. look for people that look to be dazed, purposeful, focused on something other than their immediate surroundings, non-emotional. it will be hard to be this aware for all of this days...but, it might save your life. or the lives of others.
edit on 14-12-2012 by jimmyx because: syntax

I hear you Brother!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm absolutely speechless. I don't even know what to say. This is horrible. My thoughts are with those that are going through this.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
So how many posters here play violent videogames like Call of Duty, Black Ops 2 or whatever? I'm just wondering.

How many emulated murders have you personally committed over the course of your life?

Do you honestly think that stuff doesn't erode the soul, desensitize you to certain types of violence, and handicap your ability to experience true empathy?

I'm just wondering.

And I don't post this without reason. I worked in the mental health industry for a decade full-time and saw firsthand (this was circa 1989 - 1999) the gradual erosion of many (especially male) children's empathy, social skills, and mental concentration (attention deficit disorder suddenly appeared on the scene in huge numbers). Along WITH the coincidental rise in military style, excessively gruesome and bloody, online gaming and video gaming.

If you think these things are not connected, I have some swampland I'd like to sell you in Florida. If you're lucky, maybe the gators won't eat you.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
There can be no sane reason for this horrible act. The higher the population gets the more crazy people it produces. The next thing we will hear is that he was just a normal nice guy. No sign of a mental problem and his friends and neighbors are shocked. I have been in the same room with James Earl Ray and he seemed normal in every respect. You just don't know what is going on in anybody's head. The best thing you can do for yourself is assume everybody is armed and dangerous it appears.

link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

Heard from one so far, her son is safe. Facebook is blowing up now, hard to keep up. Have a lot of family in danbury, waterbury, all over the tristate really.

link   
I do not play any video games...I play Firefighter in real life!

I know a lot of Fierfighters in Newtown....God I pray for them to as the victims and there families.
edit on 14-12-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LipstickMystic

There is no single cause or answer to why people do things like this. As much as you might like there to be.

link   
reply to post by n00bUK

What's really #ed up here is how this stuff barely even merits a yawn out of the average member of the "sheeple," even though the news blasts this stuff in vivid intensity 24/7 after a shooting happens. It's like, "Oh, another shooting? How many were killed?" Like it doesn't even deserve a thought unless more than, I dunno, 20 people are dead. Like people are subconsciously measuring these numbers against a kill sheet in their heads, and unless the numbers are TRULY IMPRESSIVE and loud (to compete with however many theoretical people they slaughtered last night playing their fave violent video game) it doesn't even make an impression.

#ed up indeed.

edit on 14-12-2012 by LipstickMystic because: (no reason given)

link   

Plays dead island left for dead and 007 black ops and im not gonna take my vast collection of guns to a public place and start opening fire..........
video games should stop being blamed the mental stability of the people should be blamed.

link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
TV up here is saying 27 dead, 18 kids, 3 shooters so far.

Current reports say 27 dead (live feed on NBC News). Single gunman, armed with two handguns. Some say 18 children, some say 13. Either way, its a lot.

EDIT

Listening to live reports as I type. They are saying now: initial confusion on numbers. Everything coming from officials in the last hour indicates single gunman, father of a child there, MANY MANY rounds fired, as in 100+ at least. Working on tracing the guns used and how they were acquired. One 9mm Glock, one 9mm Sig Sauer, nothing out of the ordinary about them from what the cops said to the news people.
edit on 14-12-2012 by flyswatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LipstickMystic
So how many posters here play violent videogames like Call of Duty, Black Ops 2 or whatever? I'm just wondering.

How many emulated murders have you personally committed over the course of your life?

Do you honestly think that stuff doesn't erode the soul, desensitize you to certain types of violence, and handicap your ability to experience true empathy?

I'm just wondering.

And I don't post this without reason. I worked in the mental health industry for a decade full-time and saw firsthand (this was circa 1989 - 1999) the gradual erosion of many (especially male) children's empathy, social skills, and mental concentration (attention deficit disorder suddenly appeared on the scene in huge numbers). Along WITH the coincidental rise in military style, excessively gruesome and bloody, online gaming and video gaming.

If you think these things are not connected, I have some swampland I'd like to sell you in Florida. If you're lucky, maybe the gators won't eat you.

As a 35 year old adult with an 11 year old son I can say no it doesn't. I grew up on video games. To this day I play video games. And no.. I would never even consider killing another human being, much less gunning down a school full of children.

Now is not the time to try and rationalize this incident. The person or persons who committed this disgusting act are hopefully burning in hell right this very minute. And if any are alive, I hope the parents get to exact revenge on them.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

This is absolutely horrible.. Right around Christmas time.. I am almost in tears right now, but still think I am in a bit of shock.. Right now its a little hard to process what is going on right now. Anger is boiling at the surface, pain and so much sadness lays right under neath that anger right now..
Not sure what to say really at this point.
There is never a good time for this to happen, but right before christmas.. This is soul crushing..

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissCoyote

Plays dead island left for dead and 007 black ops and im not gonna take my vast collection of guns to a public place and start opening fire..........
video games should stop being blamed the mental stability of the people should be blamed.

Exactly. People just NEED something to blame. And that something is often something they already have a bias against. Silly.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Every parents worst nightmare. We send our kids to school and we think they are safe. We have heard about school shootings in the past but they were high school and colleges. Any kind of school shooting is horrible but we seem to be able to cope with it better when the victims are older and not 6 years old like the victims today. We never said it but we assumed elementary schools were safe and almost as if they were off limits to this kind of violence. Until today. Im a thousand miles away from CT and im just sick about what happened out there. I cant help but think what if this was here in North Dakota. My daughter is in kindergarten. I dont know what I would have done if this was at her school. Even though we are so far away from CT im happy my daughter is home sick today.

link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Everybody likes to pretend that killing people for PLAY on a regular basis has no connection to being less empathetic or caring about the living creatures in the world around them; continue on with that delusion if you wish. Those in the mental health professions know that this is not true.

link   

[Updated at 12:48 p.m. ET] "Close to 20” people have been killed, including at least 10 children, a law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation says.

Swear to GOD if I could have 33 seconds with the gunman or gunmen... I'd # em all up................... They deserve nothing more.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

Live news briefing...... Coming up
edit on 14/12/2012 by Theflyingweldsman because: link

link   
reply to post by MissCoyote

I take out my aggression in GTA once in a while, have 16 guns at my disposal, only one of them ever shot someone, and it was a drug addict scumbag that broke into my place when I lived in white plains ny........

+1 more 
link   

Originally posted by LipstickMystic
reply to post by DerekJR321

Everybody likes to pretend that killing people for PLAY on a regular basis has no connection to being less empathetic or caring about the living creatures in the world around them; continue on with that delusion if you wish. Those in the mental health professions know that this is not true.

Can you take this vendetta against video games to another thread? You aren't convincing anyone.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Instead of kneejerk reactions like banning guns we should instead bring back involuntary detention for the mentally ill. Keep them locked up.

Long Island's crime and drug abuse rate shot through the roof when then Gov. Mario Cuomo shut down Pilgrim State Hospital and King's Park Pysch Center. Coincidence? I think NOT.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join