It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is feminism trying to accomplish these days?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

leading feminist writer has accused Taylor Swift and Katy Perry of killing feminism and throwing society back to the 'demure girly-girl days of the white-bread 1950s'. Camille Paglia says that both singers have 'insipid, bleached-out personas' that hark back to the man-pleasing, pre-feminist era.

She notes that Rihanna, who earned $53 million last year, has an 'elemental erotic intensity', while Beyonce draws on the 'emotional depths of black gospel as well as the brazen street sass of hip-hop'. She also cites Fifties U.S. singer Connie Francis, who was between 19 and 21 when she made her mammoth hits like Lipstick on Your Collar and Stupid Cupid as a role model.

Ok so let me see if I'm hearing this right. Feminine and modest dress accompanied by romantic love songs is bad.
Dominatrix style leather get ups and sexual songs like bootylicious is good.

I really don't understand feminism. Does it mean we should give up all things feminine and use our sexuality to get ahead in life? Why in the world would that be a good thing? Sounds more like identity crisis.

I get equal rights and I thank those that made it possible for me to vote but it s getting a little out of hand. I realise there is a ways to go when it comes to equal pay in the work force but what is a sexually charged mentallity along with revealing clothinh going to accomplish other than making you look like trash? What's. Wrong with wearing dresses and embracing femininity? Who is it hurting?
source

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I've been wondering this for a while now. Yes, in the beginning, the women that started the movement did great things for us. Now, I wonder if those continuing the movement have just run out of sensible ideas and just want us to give up men all together.

No thanks, I still like my door opened, spiders killed, and for him to carry the heavy stuff. And be my big bad protector when things go bump in the night.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Have you seen those "I need feminism because..." images?

Here's a taste:

There is nothing "feminine" about Feminism.

This is what it's like today, and it's utterly disgusting:

Especially last 2min or so. There's some swearing in the video FYI.

It was useful but it's gone way too far now. They are trying to de-feminize women and emasculate men.
edit on 14/12/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This is my destined destination, because I was just thinking of putting up a sign to the neighbors and writing a thread, why do you keep you backyard floodlights glaring in my room for the last week.

It is the same as why some girl cut me off in traffic yesterday with a mean look on here face.

This world is more than a world who doesn't care about you, the same with all kinds of groups like feminism. It is more than not caring about us - They go out of their way to specifically try to induce our emotions. They purposely act on their thoughts of hatred.

The goal in karma is to not do this, and when someone does it to us we cannot do anything to them.

So we are in a world where they specifically want to bring us down.

I'm not going to pay attention to them.
edit on 14/12/12 by JAK because: Code correction for page distortion

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Exactly. It's as if women should not be happy unless they are made to feel superior over men. It's no longer about equality.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Another thing that boggles me is that she implies Rhianna is agood feminist rolemodel. Didn't she do a song with Eminem where he burns her alive at the end and the whole time she's singing "I love the way you lie" ???

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
she make a complain, borat, i tired, borat, i no want to pull a plow, borat, the pigs eat a my dinner, borat, i do not want to sleep in stable, borat ...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ireminisce

It's a joke,,,it's like any other group that cries foul,,whatever they get it's never enough...I work in state government now where the women far outnumber the men on my floor. Some in the legal department could be considered feminist.

What's really interesting is that during Valentines Day one of the Attorney's thought it would be funny if she put a large full size poster of the rock on her co-workers door with a sticker that said "be mine".

He was in his usual Rock gear, wrestling shorts and a leather vest with nothing else...Here is where women and men differ, I was not upset that he was on the door I was upset that if I put up a lady in a bikini or even a female wrestler it would have been a much different story. And no I did not complain because it was not offensive...
edit on 14-12-2012 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

JAK

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Obviously there are those who will stand under the umbrella of whatever movement or cause they believe will offer shelter and so it is here and, surprising as it may seem (a woman cut me up - sigh), I'd suggest that there are some females who may not be nice. I realise of course that from a chaps perspective this may seem incomprehensible being as we would unquestionably support absolutely any action committed by any fellow member of the sex. Odd as it may seem though I can't help but look at present culture though (rap music comes to mind as the most readily apparent and high profile example) and wonder if there isn't a reasonable basis for those to complain that the movement for equality (not limited to some petty courtroom but permeating through society) is not only failing to move forward in some areas presently, not even merely stagnating but actually reversing. Women are nothing but glorified, futuristic entertainment machines which, like all publicly available entertainment machines you cannot manufacture yourself, are happy to be used but do charge for your time.

Yadda, yadda me da man, I am teh toughizt...
Got a couple hoes home with no clothes on
blah, blah
My cash up and your ass up, and I'm the ones tipping the most

Ignoring the absurdity that being able to rhyme in your native tongue, a fairly base command of the language, has somehow mutated into impressive talent for many, how anyone can seriously claim that there is no cause for anger over this escapes me.

Yea, 'sall about 'them' demeaning men.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Interesting they seam very hateful and aggressive and demand power. I would not like to give these people power, I use the word people because their was a few guys their.

TBH I would go to a talk like that I like to listen to people point of view and if I didn't like it I would leave

"but just because I don't like to even think the word rape im going to try to ban everything that has it in"

I think is ridiculous and stupid, rape is going to happen it a mechanism we have to make us procreate if we don't, yeah sure it a very primal one and is just another part of evolutionary baggage that we don't need into today's society but we are animals and animals will always have primal urges.

Rape is a horrible thing but it is going to happen it can't be evicted from the depths of human sub concious.

edit on 14-12-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

JAK

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This, then I'm off to greener pastures:

Friday 14 December 2012, today, not years ago. US judge prompts outrage

US judge prompts outrage after saying: ‘If she didn’t want sex, her body should have just shut down’ in rape case, and reducing sentence of attacker by ten years

Judge Johnson was making the comments in the case of a man who threatened to mutilate the face and genitals of his ex-girlfriend with a heated screwdriver

A US judge has prompted outrage after saying that a rape victim didn't put up a fight during her assault and that if someone doesn't want sex, the body 'will not permit that to happen.'

Judge Derek Johnson's comments, which echo those of outgoing U.S. representative Todd Akin, who used the phrase 'legitimate rape' and said women who are the victims of rape rarely get pregnant, have drawn widespread condemnation.

Judge Johnson was making the comments in the case of a man who threatened to mutilate the face and genitals of his ex-girlfriend with a heated screwdriver. The man also beat her with a metal baton and made violent threats before committing rape and forcing oral copulation.

Stoopid femanazis. Life's unfair, it's soooo hard being a man.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

I think you miss my point. I don't believe women should be raped and mutilated. I am a woman and I don't even know where that came from. I just don't know why some feminists judge other women for dressing and behaving in a feminine manner.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

There is nothing wrong with embracing your femininity. Should we all become as androgynous as possible just to retain equal rights? I love being a woman and everything that it entails. The "feminazis" have it all wrong; we can dress femininely and act femininely and still rule the world! Acting and dressing like a girl in no way reduces your I.Q. or number of brain cells!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I feel that feminism and feminists have done more than any man could do to marginalize me, label me, and put even more constraints on me in private and professional life. If you arent with a feminist you are a traitor to your sex, deluded, part of the problem, and any number of disparaging things.They wish to attach themselves to movements such as the fight for womens right to vote, own businesses, etc... so they can smear some borrowed legitimacy on themselves. Feminists are so close to the patriarchs they hate so much its frightening.

Just in my experience and opinion, I am VERY offended by women who demand I behave and live like they believe a man does in order to be a woman. I truly believe they have a warped sense of themselves and push it on the rest of us.

There are many older cultures in the US ( not that this is a US problem alone, France has been rocked by feminism as well as other Western countries) that have matriarchal societies and there is no hint of feminism. The problem with feminists IMO is their hunger for control, wallowing self worth, and complete lack of understanding concerning functional societies.

In my parents culture.. and I call it this as I was not born or raised on the rez as they were.. there is a distinct difference in Plains societies than other tribes and certainly different than modern Western society. Women had a place everywhere in the culture, from the wife and mother to the warrior and leader. Each aspect of women AS HUMAN BEINGS were recognized along with men. Both sexes are celebrated and recognized as EQUALLY contributing members for the whole society to function and flourish. Functional societies recognize recognize and seek balance. Feminists seek imbalance. Equality or balance demands responsibility, accountability, and self reliance... feminists dont seem to be acquainted with these concepts and wish to go through life hiding behind and exploiting their vaginas in their pursuit of control.. and special snowflakedom.

Please listen to this series and whole discussion by Means open minded.. and see what it can be. A feminist will listen to this and other discussions concerning this and come away with a totally different understanding unfortunately.. and wont investigate further into the concept. This is one small example of the concept of a functioning society that existed and exists previous to modern and failing societies.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

From a guy's perspective; Feminism seems to be to women, to a much smaller degree, what the KKK is to white men. They support you and have no problem with you but they're radicals and they fight for things that you may not agree with and the way they go about it you may not agree with. They overdo it as radicals tend to do.

I'm not trying to offend anyone by that statement, it just an analogy that I've come up with from the outside looking in. If you think more about possible comparisons between the two, it seems like a fair comparison.

JAK

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Does it mean we should give up all things feminine and use our sexuality to get ahead in life?

No

There is nothing wrong with embracing your femininity.

Of course there isn't. It's not about not being feminine it's about being what you want to be because it's what you want to be, male or female.

Well as I said some people will use any cause as long as it offers them sanctuary or credibility. Some people are nasty. Some people have opinions that differ from ours. As to 'where that came from' I thought that and my initial post were quite valid in exemplifying the charade of equality touted today with is little more than lip service.

I don't think there is anything wrong with dressing the way you want to - when it's genuinely dressing the way you want to. Pandering to the bigoted, stereotypical perspectives of fragile egotists simply to earn a few dollars, even when undertaken with that understanding, is not 'ironically empowering', 'taking back power' or any such trite rubbish. Rather it is culpable in the perpetuation of portraying women as a nothing more than male plaything.

From my perspective if I want to strut about in heels I damn well will, it's my life. I'd suggest that the majority of women who don't desire to be valued as a man's trinket and aren't happy with those they see playing up to the chauvinistic crap that flows through our present culture (again, exemplified by both my previous posts I thought) have a fair point when condemning high profile celebrities who they perceive to be doing just that, playing the game to further their own ends at the expense of the general population who live with the cultural repercussions everyday while, due to their privileged position, those they view as encouraging and enabling this through their actions just walk off ignoring or ignorant of the damage they cause.

It does seem a fair point to me. I may see certain incarnations of this position as incorrect as they arise but it seems petty to dismiss this concern and the idea of a movement to further equality past simple lip-service with a 'What do they want?'
The underlying point seems both quite apparent and quite reasonable to me so perhaps I was a little harsh in responding, perceiving that a lack of understanding was a dismissal. My apologies if that was the case.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
I feel that feminism and feminists have done more than any man could do to marginalize me, label me, and put even more constraints on me in private and professional life. If you aren't with a feminist you are a traitor to your sex, deluded, part of the problem, and any number of disparaging things.

This to me sound like a group of freedom fighters. in a place where they are more free than ever and getting more free than than before, And in A lot of respect have way more power over MEN!

If your not apart of the solution your part of the problem!

This sort of barbaric behaviour is designed to get people violent and rowdy, we all know that violence isn't the solution. Making people whose sides is stupid and childish. Common i though feminism was more intelligent that that.

It seams to me that feminism want power and control some sort of pay back. Pay back for what?

Most men born these days have not been subject to the acts of what a man should tell a woman what they should do, like it was 100 YEARS AGO!!!

But still this power house of a vehicle wants blood, power, forced respect, apologies and control of everything.....

To me that is a gang not group or a movement
edit on 14-12-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Ireminisce

Amen
edit on 9-6-2014 by Illuminawty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: definity

This to me sound like a group of freedom fighters. in a place where they are more free than ever and getting more free than than before, And in A lot of respect have way more power over MEN!

If your not apart of the solution your part of the problem!

This sort of barbaric behaviour is designed to get people violent and rowdy, we all know that violence isn't the solution. Making people whose sides is stupid and childish. Common i though feminism was more intelligent that that.

It seams to me that feminism want power and control some sort of pay back. Pay back for what?

Most men born these days have not been subject to the acts of what a man should tell a woman what they should do, like it was 100 YEARS AGO!!!

But still this power house of a vehicle wants blood, power, forced respect, apologies and control of everything.....

To me that is a gang not group or a movement

...and your kind makes me sick. We will never bow to you and your fabricated history. Power is Power and one on one...you have NOTHING! Its only with that government dragon behind you that you can say a word. Men have no Feminist organizations backed by a government need to keep he strong at bay....so they can take over our country....they only use you feminists to try to weaken men an make men subservient....because they know you women will do nothing but welcome those tyrants in for giving you power over men....guess what? I will never bow to women or the elites either, and there are many like me. You're not as pretty anymore as you think you are. You're beauty, is being investigated, and if you are not beautiful...you have less of a chance than a cute kitten...so stop even trying to control men...it won't happen! ATS can kill me for speaking about this, but I have an infinite number of IPv4 #'s which I would rather reserve for the public, but if worse comes to worse...We will meet V6 sooner than we think. That said, I have a voice the same as you, and no one will ever shut me up and make me bow to an ideology that I will never agree with. I have 2 daughters and I want the hate out of the way now...the war out of the way before they grow up....I don't want them to be murdered or raped because of this one sided agenda, where men will ultimately wake up to this imbalance and try to correct it violently....its already happening!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
I feel that feminism and feminists have done more than any man could do to marginalize me, label me, and put even more constraints on me in private and professional life. If you arent with a feminist you are a traitor to your sex, deluded, part of the problem, and any number of disparaging things.They wish to attach themselves to movements such as the fight for womens right to vote, own businesses, etc... so they can smear some borrowed legitimacy on themselves. Feminists are so close to the patriarchs they hate so much its frightening.

Just in my experience and opinion, I am VERY offended by women who demand I behave and live like they believe a man does in order to be a woman. I truly believe they have a warped sense of themselves and push it on the rest of us.

There are many older cultures in the US ( not that this is a US problem alone, France has been rocked by feminism as well as other Western countries) that have matriarchal societies and there is no hint of feminism. The problem with feminists IMO is their hunger for control, wallowing self worth, and complete lack of understanding concerning functional societies.

In my parents culture.. and I call it this as I was not born or raised on the rez as they were.. there is a distinct difference in Plains societies than other tribes and certainly different than modern Western society. Women had a place everywhere in the culture, from the wife and mother to the warrior and leader. Each aspect of women AS HUMAN BEINGS were recognized along with men. Both sexes are celebrated and recognized as EQUALLY contributing members for the whole society to function and flourish. Functional societies recognize recognize and seek balance. Feminists seek imbalance. Equality or balance demands responsibility, accountability, and self reliance... feminists dont seem to be acquainted with these concepts and wish to go through life hiding behind and exploiting their vaginas in their pursuit of control.. and special snowflakedom.

Please listen to this series and whole discussion by Means open minded.. and see what it can be. A feminist will listen to this and other discussions concerning this and come away with a totally different understanding unfortunately.. and wont investigate further into the concept. This is one small example of the concept of a functioning society that existed and exists previous to modern and failing societies.

...and your kind makes me sick. We will never bow to you and your fabricated history. Power is Power and one on one...you have NOTHING! Its only with that government dragon standing behind you that you are able say a word. Men have no Feminist organizations backing them up and a government stronghold whose teat to be nourished by, during some ideology fad. You are only being used by a government need to keep men at bay....so they can take over our country....they only use you feminists to try to weaken men, and to make men subservient....because they know you women will do nothing at all to fight, rather you will welcome those tyrants in for giving you power over men in the first place....guess what? I will never bow to women or those alleged elites either, and there are many, many like me. You see we men are smarter now, you are the ones thinking the same as always...we are now deceiving YOU, ha ha. You're not as pretty anymore as you think you are. You're beauty, is being investigated, and if you are not beautiful...you have less of a chance than a homeless kitten...so stop even trying to control men...it won't happen anymore! If it does work..the idiots are yours to do with what you will. We don't need them. ATS can kill my name for speaking about this (its expected), but I have an infinite number of IPv4 #'s which I would rather reserve for the public, but if worse comes to worse...We will meet IPV6 sooner than we think, and I know how to cover my tracks. That said, I have a voice the same as you, and no one will ever shut me up and make me bow to an ideology that I will never agree with. I have 2 daughters and I want the hate out of the way before they grow up....I don't want them to be murdered or raped because of this one sided agenda, where men will ultimately wake up to this imbalance and try to correct it violently, and end up making every woman pay for what a few angry, aggressive, out of control feminists who just hate men, and try to hide behind "NORMAL" women to further their cause...remember people....its already happening! Feminists is an idea brought from Russia by Helena Blavatsky .. high Satanist Priest and a Marxists.
This is where Feminism all started. If it looks like a rat, and smells like rat....its either a rat that is smarter than humans...or Satan.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join