It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a bah humbug holiday....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Anyone else scaling back their holiday this year?
Not just because of doom and gloom but financially, spiritually.
I just find this year I'm not really into celebrating as much as previous years.
Holiday spirit is lost I suppose.
Didn't feel much like shopping for gifts so I made chocolates for my family back home instead.
Felt more like buying gifts for the kids that are needed or useful versus the latest gadget or toy.
Decorated the house, but meh...didn't help.
Really trying not to let my mood affect the kids excitement, but it's getting harder.
It's pretty bad when listening to Christmas music makes you wanna tear your ears off.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I feel it too, there is no joy for this holiday.
I haven't bought a single present and i don't expect ill receive anything.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I guess if I had kids I might feel that way? I'm not a very material person, to the point where If I didn't have my capricorn girl I wouldn't have food haha.. I couldn't think of anything I would want except some love and some beer. Being a broke alcoholic isn't fun.

Here are my thoughts from earlier:

I love christmas because I hate the short days of winter.. I get kind of down and depressed without the light. Lighting up the christmas tree and having the warmth of love from the hearts of family and strangers is just what I need.

When I was little I feared growing up, because the kids got almost all the presents... I thought I wouldn't like christmas anymore..

Now I love it even more than when I was a kid, and I can't afford a single present. My kitty Loves the christmas tree he just sits under it looking up at all the lights. He will be the only thing under the tree this year, but what a present he is.

edit on 12/14/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Dont worry

christmas is a worrying time for us with kids

Just do your best to keep the magic for the kids

JAK

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
If it's any consolation:

... I made chocolates for my family back home

I think that's wonderful. It may be a tad over sentimental but if I receive a hand-made gift from a loved one I like to think it's never had a shop price tag on because it's priceless.

Here's wishing a smile to you.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
We never celebrate Christmas in my family. I've never celebrated Christmas. My parents force me to go to very boring church but I refuse which causes a major fight between us. I've never had a Christmas present or anything. For me the only thing I like about Christmas is that I'm 2 weeks free from school.

But honestly I don't mind it so much. I am very happy I have food and water, electricity, internet, hobbies, good books, and the opportunity to go to school and become successful in what I like to do. Which millions of people don't have.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I feel the same way.
My sons are mostly grown, and out of the house. I wasn't even going to get a tree, but a friend told me about a small black fake one with lights on it, so I did buy that.

I"m not doing much shopping, just for mine and my neices and nephews. The last couple years, any adults I have to give gifts to get homemade ones, but they seem to go over better anyway.
Besides not having much money, I just can't get into the spirit this year.
We don't even have any snow!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Scaling back? Huh? Oh... Hell.. You mean Christmas is coming soon??

Err... I'm only half joking, if that.
This yeah it's a dollar store kind of Christmas and I'm glad kids are easy to please. Hopefully he never knows how hard it is on us to have to be so short on an Xmas for him.

At least we have our home and we have enough health to be out of a hospital. Err.... Yeah, nvm. This year does just all around suck, doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I feel good! Xmas is the time I get 11 days of work to spend with the family who are also always too busy to do anything other than work and maintain their bills.

If anything, forget about the festive times, just spend this time with your families and have a laugh - This is the main point about Christmas, spending time with family and people you never get to see. If anything I feel like Christmas has been taken over by Capitalism on the basis of everybody thinks they have to spend loads to have a good christmnas and spoil their kids etc, when in reality thats as far away from the truth as it could possibly get.

Cheer up guys
Its Christmas

Plus my daughter's birthday is on Christmas so its going to be a good one for many years to come! and a great reason to get loads'a family round

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I'm humbug, but I thought it was because I only have one of the kids left at home this year....

I was shopping for groceries and saw all this horrific tinsel garland on sale, hurt my eyes. I'm baking my famous cookies for everyone I know, giving my kids little things they need... but not much. We refused to go into a 6 month debt for Christmas this year.

The odd thing is what our children are asking for... my daughter in law wants new boots, my daughter wants a nice cozy sweater, my son asked for me to make him some muffins and cookies to take back home.

Most people I know are making baked goods for the people on their gift giving list. I haven't decorated the house either... I just thought I was in some kind of funk, so I thought about watching Scrooge or something.

Christmas carols aren't doing it for me, not even listening to Transiberian Orchestra is working....

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Above all else, Christmas is about love. Maybe it's the kid inside of me, but I still enjoy the magic of Christmas with love and laughter, pretty decorations and lights, the music, time spent with family and friends etc. Christmas doesn't have to cost a fortune. It is amazing with a bit of creativity what you can put together that looks like you spent a lot when you hardly spent anything at all.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Above all else, Christmas is about love. Maybe it's the kid inside of me, but I still enjoy the magic of Christmas with love and laughter, pretty decorations and lights, the music, time spent with family and friends etc. Christmas doesn't have to cost a fortune. It is amazing with a bit of creativity what you can put together that looks like you spent a lot when you hardly spent anything at all.

I couldn't agree more. And you posted my favorite quote. I actually have it framed. Reminds me of WilliamOneSac.
I see I'm not the only one that feels this way. Yes Wrabbit it truly is a dollar store christmas this year.Lucky my kids are easy to please.
@Jak...THANK YOU.
It was my first attempt at chocolate making. I did snowflake suckers for the kids, and chocolate seashells in a martini glass for the adults. Cost me very little. the time spent with my daughter making them was worth far more.

I'm working on my holiday spirit...
Bought two turkeys today, so maybe...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Oooooh those chocklate pops look awesome!!!!!!! I'll have to try making some.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Those look tasty!

Wish i was on your nice list... really like those snowflakes!

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance
Those look tasty!

Wish i was on your nice list... really like those snowflakes!

Thank you!

new topics

top topics

join