It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 6.4 - OFF THE WEST COAST OF BAJA CALIFORNIA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
So is this any cause for alarm besides the sky is falling series of answers? Anybody know anything about tsunami's happening at that depth and distance from the shore.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Wierd- the two in Utah, just after the two California ones, were taken down.
I wonder why?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Most likely because they didn't actually happen. It's a common occurrence with large quakes, sensors hundreds, sometimes even thousands of miles away will pick up remnants of a large quake elsewhere and automatically post up a small "ghost quake" in their location. They get removed once a seismologist reviews everything and decides there was no real earthquake there. Unless you want to be one of those nuts that thinks it's a cover up by the government, then by all means.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Maskander

No tsunami warnings issued. Had the quake been in the 7+ range it could certainly be possible. Not hearing any reports of damage, just a few people shaken up in the middle of the night. Nothing to worry about as of right now. Hopefully it's a single event and not a precursor.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
This....

Update: Following the earthquakes, we saw some reports coming from the USGS including a 3.5 Magnitude in Utah and a 4.2 in Southern California, those are FALSE POSITIVES this means that the earthquakes didn’t actually happen and were only a computer generated report.

and this.....

Important Update 12:05 UTC: USGS has removed the 6.1 earthquake from the charts! The 6.3M earthquake still remains but luckily this is safer as the epicenter was 262km off the coast.

and this.....

This earthquakes are harmless and should create minor to no damage, a tsunami can’t be generated.

from here

earthquake-report.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I haven't read any reports of landslides, which is lucky considering the Los Angeles area has had rain and mountain snow in the past days.
And I'm really thankful that the San Onofre nuclear generating plant, on the coast in northern San Diego county, is still offline...

I think I will keep on eye on Long Valley just to see if this earthquake has any influence on the area.
edit on 12/14/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Important Update 12:05 UTC: USGS has removed the 6.1 earthquake from the charts! The 6.3M earthquake still remains
earthquake-report.com...

Rainbows
Jane

It's interesting because when I first saw the two together - my first thought was of the 7.3 (or so) in Japan this past week or so that was in the same area as the 3/11/2011 quakes. The 7.3 was later determined to be two individual quakes.

edit on 14/12/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
All quiet on the western front.yah right.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I slept through it.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Breaking News…

A major portion of central and southern California has disappeared beneath the sea. It seems to have been caused by the local and state governments that have been leaning too far to the left for so long that the already geologically unsound parts of California just capsized and sank beneath the waves. Scientists claim that this process was hastened by the huge part of Mexico that has migrated north and added a tremendous burden to the affected areas.

Pres. Calderon has declared it the worst Mexican disaster in history.

Fortunately much of the rest of California was held in place by red tape.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
Breaking News…

A major portion of central and southern California has disappeared beneath the sea. It seems to have been caused by the local and state governments that have been leaning too far to the left for so long that the already geologically unsound parts of California just capsized and sank beneath the waves. Scientists claim that this process was hastened by the huge part of Mexico that has migrated north and added a tremendous burden to the affected areas.

Pres. Calderon has declared it the worst Mexican disaster in history.

Fortunately much of the rest of California was held in place by red tape.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Pure magic my friend and sadly so true.

BOT. I think we've dodged a helluva lot of bullets here
in Kooksville, just a matter of time.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TMG333

Thanks. No, I am not a conspiracy nutcase and didn't mean to suggest any such thing, just hoping someone would fill me in on things I am ignorant about.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Just posting this again for those who are scared about the whole 2012 thing -

Per year averages seem to come in around these numbers -

8 + - 1 per year
7- 7.9 - 17 per year
6- 6.9 - 134 per year
5 - 5.9 - 1319 per year

I checked the Wikipedia page for Earthquakes in 2012 and they seem to confirm these numbers -
en.wikipedia.org...

So other than being one higher in the 8 plus category, and even if we add the latest 7.2 earthquake from Indonesia, we are still under the yearly averages (14 this year) in the 7 to 7.9 category.

Add now this quake, at say 6.4, and that would make around 121 quakes between 6 and 6.9 this year.

To put that in perspective, last year there were 204 quakes in this range.

2012 seems to be fairly normal in terms of earthquake activity. All good people! Have a nice day

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I was born and raised in SoCal, and I wouldn't consider myself a seismophobiac either. In fact, I usually sleep through these things, but for some reason, I felt the one this morning --- and I was all doped up on NyQuil to boot. My Earthquake app sent me an alert soon after.

Come to think of it, I felt one a couple of nights ago as well. The one this morning and prior were both kinda weak, rolling quakes... interesting to me that they woke me up though... the only one that's ever woken me up was the quake we had back in '94... that one felt as if Godzilla grabbed my house and started shaking the hell out of it... now that one scared the living piss out of me!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

such a lie, every one who joins this site is a conspiracy nutcase. you can deny it, its ok, we know

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here in San Francisco...my dog, who's a total couch potato and has slept through every quake since we've had him, has been acting really strange today. He comes and stands there just looking at me like he wants something, but after a walk, his breakfast, a belly rub, a dig in the back yard and the remainder of my chicken soup, he's still not satisfied.

He keeps pacing around and it's driving me nuts. I hope this is not related to any pending natural occurrences and it's just doggy weirdness.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Your avatar made me HOWL. Sorry, off topic. I know, but I needed the laugh, so thanks!

Pam

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
Here in San Francisco...my dog, who's a total couch potato and has slept through every quake since we've had him, has been acting really strange today. He comes and stands there just looking at me like he wants something, but after a walk, his breakfast, a belly rub, a dig in the back yard and the remainder of my chicken soup, he's still not satisfied.

He keeps pacing around and it's driving me nuts. I hope this is not related to any pending natural occurrences and it's just doggy weirdness.

Dogs and cats can sense things that we cant.

Keep an eye on him.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Sad thing is I live in Ensenada and didn't even feel it, I guess it was too far out.

2nd line

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join