It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[PETS] What lives in your backyard ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Hello again ATS,

Recently I posted up some special and pretty rare photos of a Koala that visited a few of the properties in the region, including mine. If you haven't seen the pics already, here is the original thread;

My Koala Pics

During the course of the thread people from all over the world posted about the kinds of animals they have in their typical backyard, of course one of the culprits being a skunk. Now I have never seen a skunk unless you're talking Pepe Le Pew....

Now with such an international membership here, the idea was suggested of posting up some photos of the sometimes benign animals that visit our yards every day. So here's your chance. It doesn't have to be anything exotic, or literally in your backyard, but I'd love to see the creatures that inhabit your world ATS.

So without further ado, here's mine;

Of course the typical Aussie icon, the Galah or pink cockatoo.

And of course the ubiquitous Seagull or Silver Gull.

The Rainbow Lorikeet. This particular shot was taken at a local bird sanctuary, but my property swarms with these little critters, especially at dawn and dusk.

The Magpie. Known across Australia as the swooping terror, especially in breeding season.

A Pacific Black Duck, leading a group of chicks.

The Grey Albatross.

A New Holland Honey Eater. These are more common in the southern regions, and can be found in almost every backyard.

And of course the Pelican. Found on rivers throughout the country.

And the Emu. Although these live far inland, I had to include them as no Australian animal piece would be complete without them. This shot was taken by a friend on a visit to North Western Australia.

A short neck tortoise. There are a bunch of these at a nearby lake and reserve.

A Bearded Dragon.

A Sleepy or Blue-Tongued Lizard.

A Rock Wallaby. Almost exclusively nocturnal, you can sometimes hear them scratching around at night on camping trips. This one stood still barely long enough to get a shot of him.

And my final photo, the Sea Lion. These guys live in colonies along the south coast of Australia.

So there it is, a journey of the creatures that inhabit my backyard. Feel free to add your own, it doesn't have to be anything exotic as I've shown here, but I'd love to see ATS, what lives in your backyard.

edit on 14/12/2012 by 74Templar because: typos

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Well, I can't compete with that zoo. Beautiful pictures.

I just got squirrels that like to taunt my dog.

edit on 14-12-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Post up some pics of them if you would.

I've never seen a squirrel before.

Seriously.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Here's the little taunter.

Makes my dog go nuts everyday.

edit on 14-12-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Ha ha, he even looks cocky.

Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

You made a good pun there, Manhater. I just moved into a new place and haven't been outside much... but I think our backyard is pretty much grass and insects. Worms, probably - not much else. We have two indoor cats.

edit on 14-12-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

He looks like my cat. I can just make out the other one hightailing it out of the shot...

Grab your camera. Your backyard might surprise you.

new topics

top topics

join