It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How I know God exists.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

It's all in the head, you can make yourself feel this way without religion.
Go to a nice spot sit down somewhere and imagine a light moving around in your head, psych yourself up mentally, hell, listen to some real good rythmic and fast metal music.

Or sit in front of a sunset and let the light enter your eyelids and let it flood your mind, nice!

Same bloody thing, I can feel god without god.

It's all in your head. Some people just attribute it to god.

Originally posted by randyvs

Can I pray to the air, thinking that an all-mighty invisible being is truly listening to me, and cares about what I am saying, that I might delude myself into believing in something that isn't there?

No you can't.
Yes, yes you can.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Toadmund because: add to

edit on 15-12-2012 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by glassspider

Originally posted by iSHRED
reply to post by silo13

Good point about getting bashed.

What I believe and what others believe doesnt change the truth. The truth is the truth no matter what and no one can change it.

so if someone disagrees with the whole giving up your life for christ and god entering you via the holy spirit whatever that is supposed to mean they are bashing you okay will make sure i don't comment on the ridiculousness and childishness of those statements. Nor will I comment on the ability of christians who have the lead by a mile on persecuting people who don't swallow the same story as them or have a lifestyle that the ancient book deems wrong feeling oh so persecuted.
i will just say that i agree wholeheartedly with your second comment, "what i believe and what others believe....." the truth is most definitely out there and will not change.

Whilst you have such a close relationship with god could you have a little word with him about the horrendous suffering he allows to not only continue but escalate every day, could you have a word with him about the catholics raping children in his name and covering it up at the highest level, get him to clarify his feelings on women, gays, war, slavery, mutilating childrens genitals, what days you can eat fish on,how long your beard should be and for what reasons you can hit your wife. i feel he has left way too much open for interpretation by the "righteous" people that know that everything they do is okay even if the good book says it isnt obviously a mistranslation but when it gives them an excuse to hate every word is the absolute truth almost written by gods own hand.
be well

Jesus said

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

What is childish about this?

You place a lot of blame on something you don't believe exist.
But, until we can all look into our own hearts, and know beyond a doubt that we have truly love one another as Jesus loved each and every one of us...do not blame God. Blame people. Blame those who do not follow these commandments.

Also, at the last supper, while Jesus knew he was about to be betrayed, he knelt down and washed the feet of all of his disciples. After doing so (even though his disciples tried to decline his offer saying, 'You wash our feet, Master? No, we should wash yours!") Jesus then turned to them and said,

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Jesus hung out with drunkards, prostitutes, tax collectors, and sinners of all sorts. He openly spoke against those who worshiped the church over the Father. He knew there would be more people following the 'church' and the 'religion,' instead of his teachings and the teachings of God.

Jesus knew those who preached his true message - that of Love and God - would be persecuted. He knew the non-believers would rule the Earth. He knew it would only get worse before it could get better.

Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains.
"You must be on your guard. You will be handed over to the local councils and flogged in the synagogues. On account of me you will stand before governors and kings as witnesses to them.

Look at those who have come to us in the name of Love, what have we done to them? Killed them. Mocked them. Silenced them.
Look how you are treating the OP - mockingly, accusingly. You do not know his stance on 'sinners,' or how he judges others.

I speak openly about my Love for Jesus and for God, but in no way do I subscribe to the 'Christian' religion. It is just that - a manmade religion.
My roommate is openly gay. (Which i don't care one bit about, he is one of the most amazing people I have ever known and his love and relationship with God gives me hope and strengthens me every day.)
I have definitely drank in my day - but try not to drink too much anymore.
I could go into specifics about what I do for others, but then I'd be called a hypocrite and told I am just 'bragging' and therefore care about my ego more than my good deeds...which is far from the truth.
But I will say I go way out of my way, on nearly a daily basis, to help my friends, loved ones, and complete strangers alike. I house people, feed people, clothe people, love people. I also dedicate my art and my life to spreading a positive message.

It has nothing to do with condemning others.
You can not clean the outside of a glass and expect the inside to be clean as well.
edit on 15-12-2012 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by YAHUWAH SAVES

Touch a nerve did I? There was another many centuries ago who touched a nerve with the simplicity of truth and they tried to silence Him for it... I am agreeing with this person who I respect for having the courage to stand up for what he or she believes and if you don't like it to bad.. so sad.. but I will also stand up for this one who has courage to stand up to those who would try to put down or silence in their own arrogance or hatred.

Observation of others' stupidity tends to rake my nerves.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

Haha yes it's what i though but i was being polite. In the same way I wouldn't tell children there's no Father Christmas i refrain from outright saying God isn't real !

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by MamaJ

Thanks for the link. But see, what happens if we're unwilling to face the truth of what we've done to this world and each other? If you were told that the reality you thought you knew isn't real at all, would you be able to handle it? If it turned out that we've caused irreparable harm by even the smallest of acts, how would we cope?

Some people like the lie that gives them strength, more than the truth that gives them sight.
edit on 15-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

I wish I could remember the words verbatim but Jesus says that when someone first learns the truth, it is not what they originally thought. It hurts and is painful. It takes a strong spirit to overcome fear. No doubt about that.

How do we cope? I can only speak for myself and how I cope when I find out what I believe to be true is not.

The church and or preacher is not where the truth lies. The truth is IN each of us... we just have to seek it.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by YAHUWAH SAVES

I only dislike the Christian god. I thought I'd clarify that part. If the Christian god is real, then I thoroughly despise him, for reasons I have explained numerous times. It's a conditional sentiment.

Christianity is a philosophy.

The "Christian" God is different according to each and every Christian you speak with. I find this to be true anyway.

The TRUE words are within you and the good news can indeed be found in books like the Bible.

Jesus's words are misunderstood when the teaching comes from abroad and not from within.

When I understood the truth about who I am.... it was heartbreaking but then I realized what is to be is already done and Jesus did it for all of us. We all come to know the Truth in due time.

Believe me? Don't!!!!! YOUR truth is within you to know.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
Jesus Christ encouraged slavery in the new testament, how can you believe in such a vile,
cruel man? not only encourages but lays down the rules for it.......... he was a sick immoral
individual and i cannot for the life of me understand why he is so idolized. its right there in
the bible along with all the other morally corrupt horrid things that were done in gods name......
edit on 14-12-2012 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

Man encourages evil.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by glassspider

Well said, I personally think that organised religion in any form unfortunately leads to extremists.

Living in a Christian country where our laws and morals are originally based on Christian teachings is something I am happy about and I wonder if I would feel the same if I was brought up in a country whose laws and beliefs are based on another religion?

So, I'm not bashing the Bible or it's teachings, or at least the current modern interpretation of those teachings, but really - a higher being? A prophet who rose from the dead? It all seems like story telling or "teachings" interpreted as truth and instilled into fearful people for so long that it's perceived as truth by some. Obviously the 'Churches' aren't going to say otherwise are they?
I'm not saying that some of the things in the bible didn't happen, I'm pretty sure there probably was some guy called Jesus who went around preaching etc, but I think the truth was bent shall we say here and there! Noah's ark springs to mind here - I mean really?? Lessons learned from the Bible are one thing, but don't take it so seriously is my opinion.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

It's all in the head, you can make yourself feel this way without religion.
Go to a nice spot sit down somewhere and imagine a light moving around in your head, psych yourself up mentally, hell, listen to some real good rythmic and fast metal music.

Or sit in front of a sunset and let the light enter your eyelids and let it flood your mind, nice!

Same bloody thing, I can feel god without god.

It's all in your head. Some people just attribute it to god.

Originally posted by randyvs

Can I pray to the air, thinking that an all-mighty invisible being is truly listening to me, and cares about what I am saying, that I might delude myself into believing in something that isn't there?

No you can't.
Yes, yes you can.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Toadmund because: add to

edit on 15-12-2012 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

Perhaps if they drank some Jesus juice they would see god even faster. Effects may vary from person to person.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheherrin
I doubted Christianity even as a child, but as I got older, growing up in a highly religious household, I did just as you suggested, OP; I asked God to help me find the truth. For a long, long time. But the truth I found is nothing like the truth you found. My truth is that I find your truth, and every other idea about religion and spirituality, to be suspect. I think we have blindly followed the old ways long enough, and there is no reason whatsoever, other than to hold ourselves back as a species, to live life thru faith only. I will not be controlled by this dogma any longer, and it that spiritual/religious dogma itself that will always keep you in blinders and keep you from the real truth.

That is what really bothers me about these debates. You claim to hold the 'truth', but in fact, your highly subjective idea of what truth may be is just that, YOUR TRUTH, not everyone elses. It never has been. And it NEVER will be.

You're own truth is all that matters... for you.

This isn't a subject to be argued over as nobody has the right to or should be trying to talk down, criticize, belittle, control, etc. It is within each of us who know to share what we feel, and likewise it is within each person to find their own path.

Thank you OP for sharing

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I was thinking.. I m pretty sure he, OP, were a good person before this whole experience because most people were.

So what happen after that experience? Now that he "know" the "truth" and he must spread it because a book, that himself admit never had read before, told he to do... I kinda feel sorry for him because there are really nasty stuff in that book that now he must follow don't matter what his older moral standards were before.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by celticdog

Not that I believe in him but if I were satan I would get some guys to write some books. Call some of them prophets. Throw in a couple prophecies and some miracles and make one guy the hero. Then just sit back and watch them fight amongst themselves

Already happened/happening.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by iSHRED

speaking of truth.

I will never understand why people would devote their life to a belief system that was created thousands of years ago by extremely ignorant people who knew very little about the environment we inhabit.

Yea I would deff trust them and their desperate beliefs over the knowledge we have accumulated thus far.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

The Bible is responsible for the highest immorality in what it taught about women and their treatment. You want the Bible God? You gotta take all of what he represents.

Is a gun responsible for killing, or the person behind the gun. Many use tools to further their own agenda. All tools should be used for good (in a perfect world). Unfortunately, both good and evil reside here.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RobinB022

Good and evil are words used to describe how we feel about something, not the object itself. If you describe an axe as evil, that tells me more about you than that axe.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RobinB022

A knife is a tool. You can teach a child how to cut bread, make fruit salad, or take down an animal with it.

There are too many times where the Bible goes too far in teaching men how to be irresponsible and to use their "tools" to suppress women, based on their own jealousy and fear.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by iSHRED

How does anyone know Jesus even existed....because some book says so? Christianity was created for 2 reasons....

1. Destroy the old religion.

2. Use God/Jesus as an excuse to dominate the world.

Christians believe no matter what they do, could murder 20 children in cold blood and then ask God for forgiveness and he will grant it....that's the most insane thing I've ever heard in my life and it will never happen Karma will bite you in the ass and you all will find out when you die.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by iSHRED

I will never understand why people would devote their life to a belief system that was created thousands of years ago by extremely ignorant people who knew very little about the environment we inhabit.

Yea I would deff trust them and their desperate beliefs over the knowledge we have accumulated thus far.

"Extremely ignorant people who knew very little..."

I'd recommend you go browse through the Ancient Civilizations forum.
The amount of technology, wisdom, and truth these 'ignorant people' were able to obtain is remarkable. Just look in to how advanced every single detail of the pyramids of Egypt are.
Look into Sacred Geometry and understand that these 'ignorant people' understood it far more than we do today.
Look at how much the Mayans knew of Astronomy.
You think having an iPhone in our pockets makes us advanced? Ha.
We are still infants in the evolution of our culture.

Also, not all people who believe in God disbelieve in Evolution. They are not mutually exclusive. It is very obvious that evolution, to some scale, has happened and is still happening.

But I ask you: where did the spark of life come from?

Ignorance is thinking you are above ignorance.

Good luck and God bless.
edit on 15-12-2012 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by eleven44

They didn't worship the Christian god, though...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by glassspider

Originally posted by iSHRED
reply to post by silo13

Good point about getting bashed.

What I believe and what others believe doesnt change the truth. The truth is the truth no matter what and no one can change it.

so if someone disagrees with the whole giving up your life for christ and god entering you via the holy spirit whatever that is supposed to mean they are bashing you okay will make sure i don't comment on the ridiculousness and childishness of those statements. Nor will I comment on the ability of christians who have the lead by a mile on persecuting people who don't swallow the same story as them or have a lifestyle that the ancient book deems wrong feeling oh so persecuted.
i will just say that i agree wholeheartedly with your second comment, "what i believe and what others believe....." the truth is most definitely out there and will not change.

Whilst you have such a close relationship with god could you have a little word with him about the horrendous suffering he allows to not only continue but escalate every day, could you have a word with him about the catholics raping children in his name and covering it up at the highest level, get him to clarify his feelings on women, gays, war, slavery, mutilating childrens genitals, what days you can eat fish on,how long your beard should be and for what reasons you can hit your wife. i feel he has left way too much open for interpretation by the "righteous" people that know that everything they do is okay even if the good book says it isnt obviously a mistranslation but when it gives them an excuse to hate every word is the absolute truth almost written by gods own hand.
be well

You obviously didn't read his post. At no point did he say that having Jesus in his life has led him to become like those false Christians who judge everybody who is different from them. At no point did he say, "and what I learned is that what Jesus wants is for priests to rape children." You also have no clue about Christianity, as you believe God dictates the choices people make on Earth.

Do a little BASIC research before bashing. Your post would be like me saying Hindus want to force everyone to have 6 arms and tattoo their bodies blue, simply because I saw a picture of a God who looked like that. Or that the entire Koran is nothing but a book of bomb-building blueprints. You're literally so far off the picture as to possibly have accidentally posted in the wrong thread.

And just because someone claims to be a Christian (as in the case of those who hate gays, Blacks, Communists, Muslims, people who like Music, people who like to dance), doesn't mean they really are. If I went around saying I'm the Patriarch of the Rothschild family, would you be willing to give me a loan based on that alone? If I said I was Muslim and started blowing up buildings, would you THAT easily believe I was Muslim?

I'm truly amazed at how easily duped people are.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join