It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do if you won ten million dollars tomorrow?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Would you preserve it for a lifetime of bare necessities, food and shelter?

How long will it take before your new found wealth gets to your head and you lose control?

What do you do when you find new things you want that money can't buy? Are you satisfied?
Imagine your paradise...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I'd break it up and spread it out to charities. With that level of budget, I would visit them personally to insure the money was going where advertised in a clear way my own eyes could track and understand. Then I'd disperse it without much delay when I was confident in the choices and purposes.

As everyone does in life, I've lost a parent. Thankfully, only one. That came with some inheritance though and by some standards, a good sum of money. I used to think saying money couldn't buy happiness was stupid thinking by people who'd never had money. Then..I saw what harm and damage money could do to friendships, relationships and family ties....and I never care to see a truly large sum like that again.

I think money, when it greatly changes someone's accustomed level of living, can be a real destructive thing. So, I wouldn't hoard or try and husband it. I'd just efficiently choose who would best benefit and see it done.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Kapablanka

definitely not spend so much time on the internet and ATS and more time with changing my life
edit on 14-12-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

My friend likes to point out the " idiot tax". Argument when I bring up this subject but the fact remains...someone wins it. Your chances of winning are only zero if you aren't holding a ticket

To Answer your question, trust funds for the kids, debts paid and start a business that benefits the community
Probably something to do with feeding low income pedestrians. Or artists who care about their community.

A lot of the time these are the same thing. Call it a soft spot

Oh, and I'd eat a lot more steak

Cheers

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

First, win it before thinking about what you'd do with it.

I know what I'd do, I would'nt tell anyone.

You ask a poor man or woman what they would do and they always claim they'd give alot of it to charity but we know thats not going to be the case.

Ask a middle class man and he'll think retirement and helping his kids out

Ask a rich man and he'll think investment
edit on 14-12-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Go somewhere far away...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Go to art school
By a whole mess of paints
Buy my mom a house
Buy my friends gifts

Give the rest away to charities, research and kickstarters
All in all, I would've probably spent under 100,000 dollars

edit on 14-12-2012 by CyBearPunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'd give a lot to people close to me for sure. Probably close to a million to my parents, same to my wife's parents.. $10,000 to a couple friends or something.

Really, I'd want to be left with an amount that theoretically could last the rest of my life (I'm only 25).. but not so much that I'd know for certain that I never have to work anymore. I like having financial success as a motivator. I never want to feel like I don't need to make money. I'd probably keep 3 or 4 million.. at least 2 of which I'd buy gold with.

Oh and start a music school
edit on 14-12-2012 by bacci0909 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think a lot of people are lying to themselves about towing the civilized line when they got rich. I imagine I'd go in to orbit.

Once you start upgrading your lifestyle, you get addicted - you spent the previous part of your life broke, now you have access to every sensual pleasure imaginable, you can coordinate your day to day experience in ways you never imagined.

I expected a lot more, ''I'd ditch my family, head to belize, its on!''

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I've always said, if I ever won a large sum of money, the first thing I would do with it would be to donate 10% to my local hospital's Special Care Baby Unit. When my son was born, he was severely premature, and the hospital closest to us only has facilities to take premature babies born after 32 weeks gestation. He was taken to a hospital 30 miles away, and we don't drive, and the hospital he was in had no "live in" facilities for parents to stay with their children. A friend drove us every day for 5 weeks before he could be transferred to our local hospital.
Hopefully with a large donation, they would be able to extend their facilities to younger babies, provide the equipment, training and funding so more people don't have to be separated by such a long distance from their children.
I'd include a caveat in the donation, that the entirety of the money was to go to the SCBU, that the hospital administrators were not allowed to use it for anything else.

With the rest of it, I'd split it between my brother, my partners sister, and our parents, and of course, save some for us. I'd use it to get a passport and take my son on holidays that I would have only dreamed about as a kid.
Of course, I wouldn't squander it all thoughtlessly. I'd also put a portion of it into a high interest savings account, let it make some money.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I would make an orang u tang reservation in Borneo rainforest and live in a big tree house..

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I saw a couple who had won the lottery being interviewed, they impressed me very much. The first thing they did was hire a Lawyer and an Investment counselor. They bought a car I think and then they said they were going to "grow into the money". Very smart.

The difference between the rich and the poor is the price of their toys, and attitude of course. Human nature left to it's own devices, kind of sucks really. Silly and short-sighted, given to selfishness.

Can you really change lives with money? Don't you mostly change circumstances?

Some recently rich people, Bill Gates and Oprah, give money to education. Education changes lives.

If you want to know what you would do with the money, how do you spend your money now? How much do you give away? Throwing money at problems does not fix them, if you have any doubts about that, look at Africa.

Just some random thoughts.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I would go back to school and get a phd.....

top topics

join