It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television, the puppet master of the masses.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I watch TV, so do my kids. Like any good parent, I keep an eye on what programming they watch. Programming, a fitting word isn't it? You see, as a semi-intelligent adult, I come equipped with a highly efficient BS filter. It's true, I do!. The little rugrats, however, do not. That shiny box hanging on the wall is highly efficient as well. It is efficient at downloading all kinds of things into my little terrors minds. We all know this of course, so I'll get to the point...

Society responds incredibly well to television. The general population relies on it for everything...news, fashion, politics, sports, hell, people even attend church by via television. It has it's claws in us. It directly influences everyone I know, especially the sheeple friends of mine. They will spend hours hypnotized by shows like American Idol that fill up their DVR. Now, they couldn't tell you a thing about what really goes on in this world, because they are entertained, they are appeased. Plus, they did get a chance to watch the news sandwiched between Law and Order and Letterman so they feel like they are up to date on current events. I mean, the news never lies...

Curious about UFOs? No need to investigate or research the topic for yourself...just watch an episode of UFO files or the like. You'll get your fix, you'll even walk away feeling satisfied that you have learned something. Hell, you may even genuinely feel like there could be a government cover up. But will you demand accountability from your government? Nope. You are tired, you don't have the energy. I mean, you did work all day and it's time to relax. Not to mention, your favorite show is about to come on. If there is some proof of aliens, it'll be on the 5 o'clock news anyways.

On the fence about the whole religion thing? Interested in answers about our past? Try 'Ancient Aliens.' It will show you how extra-terrestrial races came to visit our planet thousands of years ago and helped to evolve the mush brained upright primates. I do actually like that show...

How about who to vote for in the election? Do you want to know which candidate best fits your core values and stance on the major issues? Well, there are actually several different news stations that are completely biased one way or the other and will passionately convince you that there is actually a two-party system that compete and oppose each other. Yep, they will even tell you that it depending on who wins the election, the country could either perish or rise to new found heights.

Who's the bad guy...the Jews or the Arabs? Watch CNN...

Who's responsible for 9/11??? The terrorists! After all, they gotta have support for the Homeland Security and Patriot Acts! The ridiculous wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are just a perk.

...and the list goes on, you get the point.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Blood-sucking killers, shape shifting monsters, adultery, serial killers, teenage sex, perversion, moonshiners, and prostitution are all really, really, cool. How do I know? Duh, check the ratings.

Personally, I'd much rather spend time researching the things that I feel like are really important. I know it's my responsibility to educate myself, not relying on someone else for that task. I'll continue to turn on the occasional football game, but I see television for what it is. A tool to placate the masses.

I know I can't win, but I can do my part. I'll keep being the guy my friends make fun of because "I'll believe anything." I'll keep trying to wake them up. That's the best I can do.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
like most people who do not like TV you own one. Congrats! you are one of them, you are not special.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'm Not a big fan of any Television - I hate the way it puts my family members into a trance.

In todays Television, Idiots are Celebrities, because they are Idiots.

This song explains the "Drug" that is Television.

edit on 14-12-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

On the contrary, I like TV. But, then again I'm capable of thinking outside the "box." Get it! I made a TV joke! Thanks for stopping by and wasting both our time!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Pedro4077

Yes, I hate when I've come across something that seems really important (to me) and my wife responds with "wow, that's crazy!) then turns back to the Tv without much real interest. Truly in a trance...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

my little ones have taken to kung fu movies and fact or faked and ancient aliens(although AA usally puts them to sleep) i try not to let them watch the mainstream sitcoms or american idol type sows, and cartoons have gotten lame and weird after the original tmnt show left the air. i have another battlefront though, video games!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Good point about the vid games, I'm fighting the same battles. And yeah, the cartoons are really strange.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Are you on the level ? I get a little defensive when I think some one might be trying to bad mouth my childhood nanny . That wonderful magic glowing box raised me from before I could remember and combined with it's gentle radiation ( back then they were a little radioactive ) turned me into the almost straight thinking man who sits here now . I have the attention span of a tree squirrel but that must be something else's fault .

Thing is though , when I was a kid television had decent messages with lots of positive reinforcement . I actually do agree with you because over the years I've noticed that the messages have degraded rather a lot .

So save your kids while you still can , you might try moving to a little island with no electricity ._javascript:icon('
')

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions

On the contrary, I like TV. But, then again I'm capable of thinking outside the "box." Get it! I made a TV joke! Thanks for stopping by and wasting both our time!

Not really by saying "I'm capable of thinking outside the "box." what you really mean is "I only watch mindless entertainment or programs that agree with my worldview because everything else is garbage for the masses". Srssly bro, you can't watch a TV and talk crap about it at the same time. It is exactly as going to vote republican only to hop online to cry about how flawed the two party system is.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thudpuddy

Lol, no doubt! The ol' boob tube babysat me from time to time. Cartoon used to be wholesome. Now I catch my older boys trying to watch Southpark. "But Dad, it's a cartoon!"

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I actually can watch Tv and also complain about it...as proven by my thread. Sooo...it is possible. Just like complaining about my job, but still going to work. I could name many examples. By the way, are you with the ethics police by chance? Cause I'm up to date on my fine payments...just sayin'.

top topics

join