It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello. I am SBMcG. Oh, and why is NASA worried about 12-21-12...?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Evidently, I haven't been around long enough to start this thread in a more appropriate forum, so...

Hiya. And now that we're friends, I have a very good question for you...

Why is NASA, of all government agencies, so concerned about 12-21-12 that they felt compelled to make a video debunking it?

Personally, I don't think jack-squat is going to happen (other than my girlfriend's parents coming into town and ruining the Holidays for everyone thus proving the Mayans 100% correct) on that date. If I'm wrong, I'll be back on 12-22 with a shaved tail to admit my mistake, hehehe...

However, why did NASA go to all the trouble to make this video "debunking" the Mayan 12-21-12 "myths"?

Why not the Department of Homeland Security?

Why not the DOD?

Why not some other nebulous government entity with a lower profile?

Why NASA?

Am I the only one who finds this a little strange...?

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SBMcG

Why is NASA, of all government agencies, so concerned about 12-21-12 that they felt compelled to make a video debunking it?

Cause of things like

www.rickross.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.christianpost.com...

abcnews.go.com...

Make sense?
edit on 13-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by SBMcG

Cause of things like this, this[/u rl], [url=http://www.christianpost.com/news/fearful-teen-commits-suicide-on-eve-of-harold-campings-rapture-50542/]this and and this.

Make sense?

Yeah, OK. But why NASA? They're in charge of space and rockets and little rovers that drive around Mars looking for microbe poop.

Why not some other government agency? What does NASA have to do with Mayans?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SBMcG

Maybe you should ask what the Mayan calendar has to do with space first...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I don't know. Hi!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

reply to post by SBMcG

No, I get the whole thing about the Mayan calendar and space...

But why NASA?

When did they become the debunking arm of our government?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
I don't know. Hi!

Hi

>>>> Loves cats

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SBMcG

Why not the DOD?

Doomsday scenarios are either religious or pseudo-scientific in nature:

Considering one of the heads of DHS when it was first formed, got their education from a diploma mill, I'm doubting their scientific team is apt enough to debunk much of anything.

DOD, focused on other things, they're the centre of the war machine, or the military industrial complex. I wouldn't want DOD handling civilian matters, would you?

NASA... Again. Most likely choice.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

reply to post by SBMcG

Why not the DOD?

Doomsday scenarios are either religious or pseudo-scientific in nature:

Considering one of the heads of DHS when it was first formed, got their education from a diploma mill, I'm doubting their scientific team is apt enough to debunk much of anything.

DOD, focused on other things, they're the centre of the war machine, or the military industrial complex. I wouldn't want DOD handling civilian matters, would you?

NASA... Again. Most likely choice.

Hmmm. So, by that logic, were there a nation-wide outbreak of mad cow disease, the Department of Commerce would be responsible for damage control.

C'mon, man... Why is NASA going to all the trouble to put out a video debunking the Mayan 12-21-12 "myth"?

Sorry, bro', but this doesn't smell right to me.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SBMcG

reply to post by SBMcG

No, I get the whole thing about the Mayan calendar and space...

But why NASA?

When did they become the debunking arm of our government?

The doomsday myths usually centre around NASA and what they research. Their name is commonly used to try and justify the myths and taken out of context. "Solar flare, pole shift, comets, asteroids, equinox, etc, etc, etc."

NASA scientists took time on Wednesday (Nov. 28) to soothe 2012 doomsday fears, warning against the dark side of Mayan apocalypse rumors — frightened children and suicidal teens who truly fear the world may come to an end Dec. 21.

Thus NASA's involvement. The space agency maintains a 2012 information page debunking popular Mayan apocalypse rumors, such as the idea that a rogue planet will hit Earth on Dec. 21, killing everyone. (In fact, astronomers are quite good at detecting near-Earth objects, and any wandering planet scheduled to collide with Earth in three weeks would be the brightest object in the sky behind the sun and moon by now.)
"There is no true issue here," David Morrison, an astrobiologist at NASA Ames Research Center, said during a NASA Google+ Hangout event today (Nov. 28). "This is just a manufactured fantasy.

Real-world consequences
Unfortunately, Morrison said, the fantasy has real-life consequences. As one of NASA's prominent speakers on 2012 doomsday myths, Morrison said, he receives many emails and letters from worried citizens, particularly young people. Some say they can't eat, or are too worried to sleep, Morrison said. Others say they're suicidal.
"While this is a joke to some people and a mystery to others, there is a core of people who are truly concerned," he said.

Other rumors — that the Earths magnetic field will suddenly reverse or that the planet will travel almost 30,000 light-years and fall into the black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy — were also dismissed. (A light-year is the distance light travels in one year, or about 6 trillion miles, or 10 trillion km.)

NASA have, over the past 5 years, been repeatedly called out. Every single thing they are experts on, people are making up stories about for personal gain and attention. If anything, it's their job to clarify misinformation being spread about them, and about their field of study.

Source

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Keep tabs on this show www.groundzeromedia.org... lots of stuff your talking about !

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

All very well taken, and thank you for your sourcing.

But government doesn't "debunk" other apocalyptic claims. The last time I checked, the Department of Labor hadn't put out a video on the book of Revelation and the Four horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Sorry, dude -- this NASA 12-21-12 is a little funky.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
Keep tabs on this show www.groundzeromedia.org... lots of stuff your talking about !

Thanks. I'll check it out.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SBMcG

Hmmm. So, by that logic, were there a nation-wide outbreak of mad cow disease, the Department of Commerce would be responsible for damage control.

C'mon, man... Why is NASA going to all the trouble to put out a video debunking the Mayan 12-21-12 "myth"?

Sorry, bro', but this doesn't smell right to me.

By the logic you're using, it doesn't make sense when industry professionals dispel myths that are in their specified field...

Banks issue warning on FDIC scam

www.massachusetts.statenews.net...

You have to remember at the heart of this, there are people making money off perpetuating fear. Conmen, grifters, fraudsters, whatever you want to call them.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SBMcG
reply to post by boncho

All very well taken, and thank you for your sourcing.

But government doesn't "debunk" other apocalyptic claims. The last time I checked, the Department of Labor hadn't put out a video on the book of Revelation and the Four horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Sorry, dude -- this NASA 12-21-12 is a little funky.

Atheists already have that covered.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Someone has to do it. Who do you suggest should do it?

Department of moronic dipwads?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth

No, that department is responsible for creating doomsday threads on ATS. And coming up with the really scientific analyses of "I really think it's gonna happen, cause I got like this, uh, feeling in my gut..."

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
What I find equally fascinating is all the announcements that 'NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN ON 12/21/2012' as if they know that for sure.

I'm not saying it's going to be the end of the world, but there's no guarantees there won't be a significant earthquake, or a terrorist attack somewhere, or any number of other things out of the ordinary. An assurance that nothing is going to happen is just as hollow as predictions that something will.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth

Well, duh!

GWAR!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

No, that department is responsible for creating doomsday threads on ATS. And coming up with the really scientific analyses of "I really think it's gonna happen, cause I got like this, uh, feeling in my gut..."

They do amazing work.

<<   2 >>

join