Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Astronomy Enthusiasts - Your help is needed to solve a problem relating to possible Dec 21st alignme

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I need to know the orbital configuration of the moon, relative to the earth and sun, on the morning of next Friday Dec 21st, 2012 for a proposed ATS Scientific Experiment outlined in the OP of this thread

Proposed ATS Scientific Experiment for next Friday, Dec 21st, 2012 (can we validate a galactic alignment?).

More specifically, I am looking for the precise time during the rising sun and day of the 21st when the moon is at the most opposing point from the sun on the other side of the earth, although obviously not in perfect alignment or there'd be a lunar eclipse wouldn't there?

Anyway, perhaps you could check out the first half of the video in the OP of that thread and then help me out in terms of pinning down the precise moment of alignment involving Earth Moon Sun Alcyone Sirius and Galactic Center (dark rift) - for our common ATS Pendulum Experiment.

If you don't have anything to contribute but ridicule don't bother, as many of us want to do the experiment and just need the best precise moment to conduct it, so your help in this matter is much appreciated, big time! I figured some of you might be able to run it through an Astronomy Software Program to see how the earth moon and sun line up for the dawn of the 21st, next Friday and if so at what precise moment relative to all the timezones.

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide.

Best Regards,

NAM

edit on 13-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: I wholeheartedly apologize for ever calling you "geeks" and I do need you help!? Help? LOL

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Please, is there anyone who's a regular to Space Exploration and is into Astronomy who can help me out with this, I don't think I can figure it out just by Googling. Thanks so much.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
That will work. Call them Geeks!

Why not call the 'experts' or 'Knowledgeable people'

Geeks?

P

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
That will work. Call them Geeks!

Why not call the 'experts' or 'Knowledgeable people'

Geeks?

P

Just a playful tongue 'n cheek kind of thing, but then again, while I still can maybe I'll go back and change the title!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Much better!!!

P

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Download Stellarium (it's freeware). Once you enter your location & time zone, you can see sunrise, etc. (the solstice is at 11:11 GMT on the 21st (source).

Note that this "galactic alignment" is BS. Although the Sun (as seen from the Earth) appears to cross the galactic equator, it doesn't actually cross the plane of the galaxy (which isn't sharply defined) anyway (and it wouldn't matter if it did), and also, the Sun as seen from the Earth will not be in line with the galactic center (which is at RA 17h45m40.04s, Dec -29° 00' 28.1" (J2000 epoch) in the Equatorial coordinate system) - it will be ~7 degrees to one side, just like it is EVERY YEAR.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
can't you just google it and look it up yourself? It not that difficult to find your answer.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saint Exupery

Download Stellarium (it's freeware). Once you enter your location & time zone, you can see sunrise, etc. (the solstice is at 11:11 GMT on the 21st (source).

Note that this "galactic alignment" is BS. Although the Sun (as seen from the Earth) appears to cross the galactic equator, it doesn't actually cross the plane of the galaxy (which isn't sharply defined) anyway (and it wouldn't matter if it did), and also, the Sun as seen from the Earth will not be in line with the galactic center (which is at RA 17h45m40.04s, Dec -29° 00' 28.1" (J2000 epoch) in the Equatorial coordinate system) - it will be ~7 degrees to one side, just like it is EVERY YEAR.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

You claim to know this because a computer program tells you it is so. Any program is only as good as the person who wrote it. Garbage in = garbage out.

You also make the assumption that 'current human knowledge' is more advanced than what the Mayans knew. A supposed near stone age culture said to sacrifice virgins by cutting their hearts out.

The collective ego of the human species is staggering!

P

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

On December 21, the Moon will be at First Quarter. It will be next to the Earth relative to the Sun. About as far from alignment as you can get.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

On December 21, the Moon will be at First Quarter. It will be next to the Earth relative to the Sun. About as far from alignment as you can get.

Not according to this....

or this...www.tutiempo.net...
edit on 12/13/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: add

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

That would be First Quarter.
And the link shows First Quarter on the 21st as well.
edit on 13-12-2012 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Are you sure?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

That link did not actually specify.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Yep...the picture you posted even confirms it. First Quarter is a half-lit Moon, and it sits next to the Earth relative to the Sun.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

We just had the new moon and the next phase between the new moon and the full moon is the last quarter acoording to this chart, the phases go clock wise right?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

It goes counter-clockwise.
Technically, by the 21st, the Moon is slightly a Waxing Gibbous, but it's so slight that it's still called First Quarter.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Anyway, here is a picture or 2 that I found interesting to share with you...

From the Sun...see what I see here?

The alignment you were asking for I think...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Well there you go I apologize. Thanks for setting me straight.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Thank you, I realize now that a lunar alignment with the sun is called a "full moon" duh!

So we're going to run with the moment of solstice, which is defined by a single moment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join