Top Officials Meet at ONR as Arctic Changes Quicken

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I don't know but when reading this it sounded like some kind of distress call from the US Navy, I could be wrong but it seems our Arctic ice really starting to decline rapidly and set melting records this year!

ARLINGTON, Va.—The Navy’s chief of naval research, Rear Adm. Matthew Klunder, met this week with leaders from U.S. and Canadian government agencies to address research efforts in the Arctic, in response to dramatic and accelerating changes in summer sea ice coverage.

ONR

Scientists predicted that the Arctic Ocean could be ice-free in summer months within 20 years, leading to possibly major climate impacts. "I am surprised. This is an indication that the Arctic sea ice cover is fundamentally changing. The trends all show less ice and thinner ice," said Julienne Stroeve, a research scientist with the NSIDC.

The Guardian

New records set for snow extent, sea ice extent and ice sheet surface melting, despite air temperatures - a key cause of melting - being unremarkable relative to the last decade. Multiple observations provide strong evidence of widespread, sustained change driving Arctic environmental system into new state.

Artic report card

The effects caused by the melting of Arctic ice, if the polar ice caps melted, would be relatively small. Mostly because water from the Antarctic ice cap would run into the ocean, the world's oceans would rise by about 200 feet (61 m) if the polar ice caps melted.

I checked the FloodMap and to my disappointment I probably have to leave my country within 20 years.
You can check out your own situation on this FloodMap

I don't know how serious this really is because theres so much contradictions about this?

peace

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
For what it's worth, I was seeing USA Today articles about this issue before global warming was the fad to follow and it was simply a strategic question. I don't think the U.S. Navy cares much about the big picture of aerosol sprays or fossil fuels. As I've read about this over the years...their concern is the ice free shipping passage as a year around thing and how that could make for major changes in global shipping patterns if it became a reliable thing. Russia has also been dropping little flags in capsules ...in symbolism...to show claim to major energy reserves believed to be under what has traditionally been shifting Sea ice.

It's another potential hot spot in many ways and air/water temp is only one of them IMO..
edit on 13-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Is there any studies that show the effect the gulf stream and the organics as well a chemicals it moves (oil, corexit) north and the possible effect they have had on the oncrease in melting. As well where would I find water, ice core samples to dig further myself.

I just personally think the DWH disaster has a much more global effect as opposed to just regional and only effecting the gulf, just my spidey sense no proof hence the reason I'm trying to find info regarding.

Such as did the ice melt speed up after?, Has the gulf stream deposited the chems from the spill north and what effect it may hold???

SaneThinking

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The phrase had a frantic tone, When I read it , But I also know for years that they talking about this issue ,I also heard few weeks ago that sea level would rise about 2,5 inches per year.. when I did the math, the worries had to start around three hundred years from now.. so the info lays so far apart.. I probably have to go and look for myself then?
edit on 13-12-2012 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Lemmie know if you find anything. I've looked myself and gave up on anything that wasn't subjective or hedged in a half dozen ways to cover the person presenting it as evidence. Such is the fun of the Global Warming debate. Last I heard...Antarctic Ice actually grew thicker in some areas while the North grew thinner. Then again, you have the Antarctic calving icebergs and whole ice sheets on a disturbingly regular basis but I'll bet they always have too. Man has had record of that even existing for what? 150 years now? 200 max? Not much to base assumptions on....but that doesn't stop folks from trying!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Huff post

I think this could be related as evidence to my thread?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
maybe undersea volcanoes ??

this is not good.

next octobers super storms could be worse

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It's another potential hot spot in many ways and air/water temp is only one of them IMO..

it is. has been and will continue to be for quite some time, as well.

despite and no matter any given or 'eventual outcome' it'll have huge a impact globally, whether it be shipping lane(s), weather-related, etc.

all eyes ARE upon... you can bet your backside.

give it a year, 3 or ten.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
But Breitbart said that this is just another liberal conspiracy to get us to stop driving our monster trucks!

Drill baby drill!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Well that's not bad thinking because later that week this news came out..seems that the melting of glaciers can cause volcanic activity?
Science daily
edit on 23-12-2012 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
But Breitbart said ...

as if that were an unbiased 'source'

nor any other, for that matter anymore.

benjamins trump all these days.

new topics

top topics

join