It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage is Wrong and I am not a Homophobe

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thudpuddy
I know there are legal issues to marriage , but I'm of the opinion that it's really none of the governments business who we choose to call our significant other other than the fact that we've done it .

As long they're minding minding their own business I don't see why society can't return the favor .

yeah, so let those churches that have no problem with it marry same sex couples, and don't force those that do have issues- true liberalism and freedom

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

The debate regarding whether or not this will be forced upon churches is still on going, I watched the original announcement in the House of Commons and it was stated that they sought to “force” the church of England and wales into this. She actually used that word “force”. Now the parameters of the debate have changed slightly but it is still up for debate if the church of England will be forced into this.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
it’s about the state trying to force religious institutions to change.

GOOD. Because they need to change. It's 2000 years later, not the year 0 anymore.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

And you think the government should force that change.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Credenceskynyrd
reply to post by Tykonos

you say that like it is set, but it isn't- just wait until the EU "diversity" and "equality" people get their teeth into opt out clauses, I guarantee you it won't hold water when the EU get hold of it

The complete separation of Church from State, especially here in the UK is long overdue.

New laws need to be introduced to explicitly protect religious freedoms that doesn't infringe on the rights of non-believers to be treated as an equal.

No-one can prove that any of the current religions are the 'true' word of God, or even that a God exists. It must be left for the individual under their own free will to choose what faith, if any, to guide them in life.

Some people are happy for the 'majority held' religion to dictate and guide policy and law. Yet if one of the smaller religions grew in years to come, I'm sure they'd be unhappy to have to alter their way of life and adhere to the 'guidance' of those from that other religious faith system.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Tykonos

The debate regarding whether or not this will be forced upon churches is still on going, I watched the original announcement in the House of Commons and it was stated that they sought to “force” the church of England and wales into this. She actually used that word “force”. Now the parameters of the debate have changed slightly but it is still up for debate if the church of England will be forced into this.

That's not what is being pushed for, though I'm sure there are some MP's wishing for it.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

reply to post by wrdwzrd

everything about this is homophobic...

Why, why is it homophobic for me to say that I oppose gay marriage because of my religious believes. That means that if I uphold and defend my religious believes I am declared homophobic or I alter my religious believes to appease liberal bigotry, why are religious people being demonised by holding a religious view.

That's what you BELIEVE but it's clearly not. One just needs to read between your lines.

You say "eroding social values"..."where will this end", "liberal buzz words", "liberal bigotry"...so your stance and opinion is VERY CLEAR - maybe not for you, because you are worse than homophobic. You are a homophobic who thinks that gay marriage will "erode the society"...but have "trained yourself" to believe you are not and are "really ok with it", using your religious belief as an excuse so you can rationalize your sub-conscious homophoby and feel "better" as a human being.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

So for you it is ok to discriminate against religious people who wish for the institution of marriage to remain as it always has. For you freedom to express sexuality has higher precedence than that of freedom of religion, this is the liberal paradox, you can never please everyone.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
If religion is not allowed to interfere with government, then why should government be allowed to interfere with religion? Churches do not prevent same sex couples from applying for a marriage license, but they do have the right to deny same sex couples their services within their own church.

Would you want someone to walk into your house and start cursing up a storm? No. They can do that in their house, but not in yours. You can have a difference of opinion, but that doesn't mean you shove it in their face.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

"for it to remain as it always has"? So then you also support patriarchal arranged marriages and polygamy?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The funny part is none of you see how you have been suckered into a trap. Why does the govt need to have anything to do with marriage? Why do you need a "license" to get married? A license implies something that is illegal is being permitted. A benevolent govt is giving you the "privilege" of having the "benefit" of getting married. Whatever they give, they can take away, it is no longer a right. You are now involving a THIRD PARTY in the equation, a contract between two HUMANS. Now there is a third, non-living entity having a part in it.

This is why the GOVT OWNS YOUR CHILDREN. They are the "fruit of the contract". This is why Child Services can take them away from you if they want to. They would rather you pay for the maintenance of the fruit of their contract, as long as they get all the labor out of it in the future, but they will take them away from you if you are not maintaining THEIR PROPERTY they way they want you to. The whole "gay" issue is just distraction.

And I am not a homophobe. I'm not afraid of them, they just gross me out.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by azamber

"for it to remain as it always has"? So then you also support patriarchal arranged marriages and polygamy?

Why, yes. Yes I do.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
OP, you realise that churches would NOT be forced to conduct the ceremonies?!

If you live in the UK as I do, then you obviously do not read the news, because there has already been a law that makes it illegal for any Church of England churches to conduct the same sex ceremonies.

Anyways, you can't say it's wrong, you'd have to prove that there is a God first, before saying gay marriage is definitely, infallibly wrong

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Credenceskynyrd

I don't really don't understand a lot of the argument here , if you get told to do something you don't want to do say no . If necessary fold your arms and say no , this goes double for churches .

I don't think religious morality is supposed to be all that easy , if it was we'd all be a bunch of holy people .

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

There is nothing wrong with Gay Marriage.

WHY cant people be open minded, and let people live the way they want to live?

Happiness shouldn't be decided by an archaic majority.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Oh no! The gays are gonna marry and destroy the world with gay sex in front of the children in town square!

Honestly, I'm sick of this gay marriage crap. I'm sick of all the nay-sayers and I'm sick of the gay rights people who are all in your face about it.

Here's a happy medium. Let the gays elope in a court house. Legal marriage. Have a problem with them doing a marriage under the religious guidelines, then there you go. Religion is eliminated. It's not a holy matrimony, it's a legal process saying these two people are husband and husband/wife and wife and can do all the same crap a regular married couple can do. Seriously, let it just freaking happen already. I have gay friends in the military that have functioning families but can't get the same benefits as a male/female married couple. Why should they be excluded because they made a sexual choice that makes them happy in life? And those gay rights activists that go above and beyond to let people know they're gay and we should accept it should really reel it in. If you're all up in people's faces about it, they're generally not going to like you or agree with you.

And also, this isn't exactly part of the discussion, but don't use the term "homophobia/homophobe/homophobic" because it's such a misused word. I have never met a homophobic person. I've met people who dislike homosexuals, but never someone who has an irrational fear of them.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
God has forbidden homosexuality, so why do homosexuals wanna get married in a church?
This issue makes no sense to me.

edit on 13-12-2012 by rumor21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Hmm It seems like maybe you (OP) might have some sub-conscience issues with homosexuality?

I think that there should be one kind of marriage that the law recognizes that doesn't matter if you are gay or straight. In their mind you are single, married, or divorced. Regardless of sexual preference.

Just let people be happy. This argument is in every single country and it's really petty.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Homosexuality is wrong and it is a sin, and I won't be bullied into compromising my beliefs. That being said, if people want to be in homosexual relationships, I'm not going to do anything to stop them, it's their choice, and it's not my place to pass judgement on them.
edit on 13-12-2012 by CudiTheKid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rumor21

God has forbidden homosexuality, so why do homosexuals wanna get married in a church?
This issue makes no sense to me.
I donno, man...do you eat pork? Does God hate you for it?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join