It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage is Wrong and I am not a Homophobe

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
Where I grew up, we had a saying. "If you feel the need to say you aren't racist, you're probably racist."

I say yo you sir, if you say something and add to the end " but I'm not a homophobe" then you likely are.

I'll be honest, I don't think that really stands scrutiny

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I thought that the case before the Supreme Court was the rights of the survivor of a lesbian couple (married in Canada but US citizens?)?? As I recall she got hit with a large federal tax bill that would not have been a liability if legally "married" but I am not following the case per se.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I do understand what you mean till a certain point. The government should not impose the church to marry same sex couples because these are your beliefs. However, in England the church and state are not separate, so that means when this law comes to pass, churches have to marry same sex couples. The only solution will be that a new law will come to pas and separate both. Gay or straight couples should have the same rights and therefore also the right to marry. For me it is important that this law comes to pass and I for one do not care about the church nor do I believe in God, so you won't see me there. If there will not be any separation, sobeit, as long as it comes to pass. The UK is long overdue!

For every gay person that wishes to marry in front of the church, you should consider, why, as they don't recognize you as a person, so why should you want to be part of this religion at all??

For all Christians....the world is evolving and so should your religion and perhaps yourself as well. God is for everyone right?

You sound quite like a homophobe by the way!

This goes further than just an issue of marriage there is a wider social component to this. This institution of Marriage is in tatters, divorce is up and the number of individuals entering into marriage is down. We also allow homosexual couples the same rights as heterosexual couples when it comes to adoption and even IVF and other means of having children. Where will this stop, what’s next will it be preventing discrimination against those who wish to marry close relatives or will it be slowly lowering the age of sexual consent, it makes me worry for my children and my grandchildren. What a contrast in time this is I now live compared to my parents’ generation. Homosexuals will soon be able to get married, have a couple of kids, then go and get divorced and their kids can spend a couple of months in a young offenders institution then go on the Jeremy Kyle show and moan about how the cause of their drug addiction is because of “dad and dad’s” divorce.

edit on 13-12-2012 by citizenoftheworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by azamber

wooah, I don't think you can start throwing suicides in peoples' faces and go "think about that"- like me saying someone committed suicide because he had to explain "LGBT" families to his kids, you "think about that"

Let us not demonise things to that extreme, suicides are rather more complex than that and not owned by people talking on forums

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

My question to you is simple. How is allowing gay people to get married hurting YOU???

Hurting me is the wrong word as it implies something other than what I am talking about, what is perhaps a more appropriate question is how this does affect me.

It means that my local church may have to allow homosexual marriages, my church minister who may have a religious objection to gay marriage could be forced to take part in them (as the original legislation sough to do). It could force my religious grouping to change it is an erosion of my religious practices and believes , it is part of the increasing secularisation of our state that I feel is responsible for many of our social problems.

It is the state interfering with my faith

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Credenceskynyrd

"Racism" implies prejudice and a feeling of superiority of their race over others (maybe Spike Lee is racist for producing "White Men Cant Jump")....while the term "Homophobe" implies the fear (phobia) of Homosexuals altho technically as translated from latin it would mean the "fear of men" (maybe many lesbians are "homophobes" then by that strict definition).

edit on 13-12-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

If you read the first line of the OP you would see that this thread is about the UK not America.

link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

if its genuinely consensual then go ahead, why do I care? not sure what that has to do with that I wrote though, saying your worried for your childrens future because of gay marriage is by definition homophobic, thats all im saying...

anyways have fun with all that religious stuff, seems like its really working out for you guys....

edit on 13-12-2012 by wrdwzrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Again same sex couples in a civil partnership have the exact same rights as heterosexual couples in a marriage.

Exact same rights? I looked it up, and apparently there are differences. Apart from the fact many states don't recognize civil unions (or federally), there are less legal benefits for them also.

As I mentioned before, separate marriage from the legal rights; and make them two different things. So that way every couple who loves each-other will have the exact same legal rights, regardless of whether or not a church wants to marry them.

Edit: I see you're talking about the UK, I didn't see that. Well then I suppose your argument does make more sense, if I'm reading right. According to wiki, civil partnerships in the UK carry the same legal rights as marriage. But marriage itself isn't legal. Personally I think marriage should be allowed; it doesn't make any sense why a church shouldn't be allowed to carry gay marriages. That's their freedom of belief. It shouldn't be forced either.

edit on 13-12-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

It doesn't matter. As I said in my first post separate but equal just doesn't work. Ask any African American that was alive prior to the passing of the Civil Rights Act. As long as there is legislation that allows for separate classes of citizens, like the current situation in the UK, there will be those that can find ways to discriminate against one of those classes. Your entire case about allowing same couple from getting married is that it ignores the rights of religious institutions. I have already explained to you that what homosexuals are pushing for is the ability to be civilly married, not religiously married (they are two separate things). So if civil marriage is not related to religious marriage; how does allowing same sex couples to join in civil marriage in any way ignoring the rights of religious institutions?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by snowspirit

If you are not religious and wish to enter into a legally binding commitment to your partner you don’t need to go to a church, just head to a registry office.

They do that here also, or they'll marry you in a park or wherever you want, but it's still called a marriage here.

In Canada, any church can turn down any gay or straight couple they want.

If they get married somewhere besides a church, it's still a wedding, and we get a "marriage" certificate to show that we're legally "married".

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Yes you did (mention UK) but the term "gay marriage" is a universal one and a current political issue in America (where we define rights as endowed by the Creator and that is where we have a problem with gay marriage).

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
ooops

edit on 13-12-2012 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

you're kidding right?

Then please explain how my 3 children who are above the age of 12 understand completely?!

I think it is those who choose to lie to children who are ones with the twisted morality.

And no, people don't get married cause they love each other, people stay together because they love each other.

You clearly don't have children based on your comments, so I don't know how you could claim that I don't 'understand' children. I have 4.

They are all wonderful. No thanks to people with opinion like yours.

~Tenth
edit on 12/13/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Sorry, I didn't realize that suicides by homophobic parents were such a problem! Forgive my insensitivity! lol

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

It means that my local church may have to allow homosexual marriages, my church minister who may have a religious objection to gay marriage could be forced to take part in them (as the original legislation sough to do). It could force my religious grouping to change it is an erosion of my religious practices and believes , it is part of the increasing secularisation of our state that I feel is responsible for many of our social problems. It is the state interfering with my faith

Talk about fear mongering. That simply isn't going to happen.

All that's being pushed for is allowing various faiths the ability to legally 'marry' same sex couples, IF THEY SO WISH!

No person will be forced to marry anyone gay! Please understand that!

Your faith is YOUR faith, don't push it onto others who don't hold your individual beliefs. How hard is it?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I know there are legal issues to marriage , but I'm of the opinion that it's really none of the governments business who we choose to call our significant other other than the fact that we've done it .

As long they're minding minding their own business I don't see why society can't return the favor .

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I am appalled, that on the 21st century...the illumined minds of the 13th century are still barking like ducks to justify a basic difference in lifestyle, and the right to unite before anyone, church or state...an utterly ridiculous and asinine debate, conducted by hair splitting, cant mind my own business, too much time my hands...neanderthals...

...do you believe in a God of love?...I do...

A99

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by azamber

Sorry, I didn't realize that suicides by homophobic parents were such a problem! Forgive my insensitivity! lol

yeah, same way as I didn't realise that suicides amongst kids who want to get married by people who don't want to marry them was such a problem, lol!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

you say that like it is set, but it isn't- just wait until the EU "diversity" and "equality" people get their teeth into opt out clauses, I guarantee you it won't hold water when the EU get hold of it

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join