Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Gay Marriage is Wrong and I am not a Homophobe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Nobody is forcing churches to perform same sex marriages. The current law up for debate is to simply allow for civil marriages. In other words churches could perform same sex marriages if they so desired. The more important result though is that same sex couples would no longer fall into a "separate but equal" status. The simple fact of the matter is that history has shown us that separate but equal just doesn't work.

link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yup, civil partnerships effectively grand homosexual couples the same legal rights as married couples the only difference is that it is a legal ceremony and not a religious one.

To be clear I am in 100% agreement with civil partnership, I think it is a fantastic idea.

Wish it was like that where I am from, but North Carolina is crazy.. Civil unions are not even recognized here..

North Carolinians voted to change the state constitution Tuesday to say that the only valid "domestic legal partnership" in the state is marriage between a man and a woman. The amendment passed 61 to 39 percent, making North Carolina the 29th state with a gay marriage ban in its constitution.

The state already outlawed gay marriage, but the constitutional amendment makes it more difficult for politicians to ever change the law. The amendment also means that a handful of North Carolina municipalities that extended benefits to the domestic partners of their employees will no longer be able to do so, since marriage is now the only valid legal partnership in the state.

Source

No rights whatsoever here...
edit on 12/13/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

link   
It seems to me that you think gay marriage being legalized is forcing religious institutions into performing their particular marriage ceremonies for these same sex couples.

www.cnn.com...

In fact it appears they are banning gay marriage ceremonies from being performed in the Church of England; the same for its Welsh counterpart.

And other religious organizations have the option to perform them if they wish.

Here in New York, U.S., you get the Government issued license at town hall, and have the religious ceremony separately. Even before gay marriage was legalized here a bit more than a year ago, churches had the right to refuse any heterosexual couples from having a ceremony at their churches. Now they have the right to do so with same sex couples.

My question to the OP, is does the English government issue marriage documents that aren't through/related to the Church Of England?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
There are no homophobes, there are only ignorant asinine jerkwipes.

If gay marriage is wrong, then I know pronounce you a civil union. For EVERYONE. No more marriage - ever. Just to make it fair, because if everyone can't have marriage, then no one can.

That's my opinion on the matter.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
it is a liberal paradox where by the rights of homosexuals are above that of religious groups.

I see it as, "the rights of ANY group [of the overall populace] should be Above the rights of ALL religious doctrines and/or entities.

Separation Of Church And State, mind you(?)

you/we all have the 'right' to condone or condemn those whose actions or lifestyles we oppose, but that doesn't remove the right to be smacked up side the head or punched in the face whilst voicing or exercising said 'rights'.

Live and Let Live!!

OR ... otherwise, find yourself subject to the same or worse by those you're imposing your beliefs upon. (?)

[ETA]

In other words.... if YOUR church or religion forbades it, FIND Another Church or Religion.

easy peasy (?)
edit on 12/13/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
No religion or government has the right to tell anyone who they can or cannot marry.

It is nothing more than another form of discrimination and control so that "we good people" can sit in judgement of all the "heathens" around us.

It is a load of tripe and has no business sucking up time in our government or our churches or on this forum.

(Just so we understand each other, when I say "no right to tell anyone who they can or cannot marry" I am not talking about marrying your sister/brother or family memeber. I am also not advocating a lowering of the marrying age. I am talking about a standard relationship between two consenting adults that are not related by blood).

edit on 13-12-2012 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

In other words churches could perform same sex marriages if they so desired.

That’s very true however I have to ask why the state has to get involved atoll, we already have civil partnerships this for me is just the state interfering were it is not wanted and the churched themselves have said on the whole they would not hold same sex marriage ceremonies so what is the point in the government bothering with this legislation.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Let's make it simple: a marriage should not only be between a man and a woman but such union should not be legal unless "consummated" sexually (which would be impossible with homosexual couples). Call it a "homosexual union" and give them equal rights (including property division of dissolved unions)....just dont allow it to be legally called a "marriage".....
edit on 13-12-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
your allowed to think what you want but just so you know, everything about this is homophobic...

link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Ghost375

Why is it everybody elses problem that you lack the parenting skills to explain something to your children?

There's only two options, you respond, yes you can marry anyone, but you shouldn't.
Or lie to your kids and tell them they can only marry girls.

There's just no rational way to explain the first option, so people are going to have to lie. It will be a very awkward situation. It has nothing to do with my parenting skill.
It's a great ad hominem argument though! Good job mod!
edit on 13-12-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

If gay marriage is wrong, then I know pronounce you a civil union. For EVERYONE. No more marriage - ever. Just to make it fair, because if everyone can't have marriage, then no one can.

So by your logic if we can’t agree on allowing gay marriage we should just abolish the religious ceremony and tradition of marriage eroding further religious practice.

link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

By not allowing a couple to marry, you also remove their right to the benefits that marriage entails.

- visitation rights and can make medical decisions, unless otherwise specified in a living will
- benefits for federal employees -- many of which are also offered by private employers -- such as sick leave, - bereavement leave, days off for the birth of a child, pension and retirement benefits, family health insurance plans
- some property and inheritance rights, even in the absence of a will
- the ability to create life insurance trusts
- tax benefits, such as being able to give tax free gifts to a spouse and to file joint tax returns
- the ability to receive Medicare, Social Security, disability and veteran's benefits for a spouse
- discount or family rates for auto, health and homeowners insurance
- immigration and residency benefits, making it easier to bring a spouse to the U.S. from abroad
visiting rights in jail

(In 'Merca at least)

source'
edit on 13-12-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

link   
You claim to have homosexual friends but you have no problem with them being screwed out of rights that you enjoy. What will it hurt that they are married? Will fire fall from the heaven's? Will they start to fill up the divorce courts like the straight couples do? Married is just a word and gays getting married won't cause the collapse of society. Besides if religious people have such a problem with gays getting married then they should ask God why he created them.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

Why not allow polygamy between consenting couples or incestual unions then?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Separation Of Church And State, mind you(?)

I don't recall that being in the constitution. Not that I disagree, but you know how that goes. If it isn't in the constitution, the cows will be coming home and the fights will still be in full swing.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I don't' understand?!

If my youngest asked me today this is what I would tell her:

"People get married because the government provides them with rights that people who aren't married don't received. It's a game plan to help each other financially. Other people do it because of religious and personal reasons as it's an important step in growing up in their culture."

Why on earth would I tell them anything different than the truth?

Lying to children is nonsense and serves no purpose other than to distract them from their parents own failings and discomfort.

~Tenth
edit on 12/13/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

everything about this is homophobic...

Why, why is it homophobic for me to say that I oppose gay marriage because of my religious believes. That means that if I uphold and defend my religious believes I am declared homophobic or I alter my religious believes to appease liberal bigotry, why are religious people being demonised by holding a religious view.

link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Let's make it simple: a marriage should not only be between a man and a woman but such union should not be legal unless "consummated" sexually (which would be impossible with homosexual couples). Call it a "homosexual union" and give them equal rights (including property division of dissolved unions)....just dont allow it to be legally called a "marriage".....

Who says gays can't have sex? If you so much as get a grope, it's sexual. So what kind of "sexual consummation" are we talking about?

link   
My problem with it all is If you deny people the chance to "Marry" you make a division between two different groups of people, One will always look at the other and say "well they are not really married are they?".
It is just a word and after two failed ones I would say to any group "NOOOO DON'T DO IT".

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join