It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage is Wrong and I am not a Homophobe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
There is much debate in the UK just now about a proposal to allow “Gay marriage”, the thought behind it being that to forbid a homosexual couple from marriage is to discriminate when a heterosexual couple can enter marriage. I for one am against this change, I am not particularly religious nor do I have any problem with homosexual couples, some of my best friends are homosexual. I see this move as taking the rights of one group on society and giving them precedence over another, it is a liberal paradox where by the rights of homosexuals are above that of religious groups.

Currently in the UK it is legal for homosexuals to enter into a civil partnership, this is not a religious ceremony it is a legal one I entirely agree with this. However the institution of marriage in the UK is a religious one that is based on religious dogma, and not the word of government. For government to impose their ideology of total liberalism upon religion, to force religion to change its values and tradition is tantamount to forced religious discrimination it is a huge contradiction in their ideology. We see the same when it comes to another liberal buzz word “sexism” it is “sexual discrimination” to forbid women bishops and as such the church mush change its way in the face of its tradition. Much like Sexism the government is now imposing yet another change upon the church in the name of “discrimination” with their views on homosexuality.

This goes further than just an issue of marriage there is a wider social component to this. This institution of Marriage is in tatters, divorce is up and the number of individuals entering into marriage is down. We also allow homosexual couples the same rights as heterosexual couples when it comes to adoption and even IVF and other means of having children. Where will this stop, what’s next will it be preventing discrimination against those who wish to marry close relatives or will it be slowly lowering the age of sexual consent, it makes me worry for my children and my grandchildren.

What a contrast in time this is I now live compared to my parents’ generation. Homosexuals will soon be able to get married, have a couple of kids, then go and get divorced and their kids can spend a couple of months in a young offenders institution then go on the Jeremy Kyle show and moan about how the cause of their drug addiction is because of “dad and dad’s” divorce.

It is part of a wider problem in the UK, a conspiracy to further erode social values that I believe is directly the responsibly of the increasing secularisation of our society and this liberal bigotry towards religious institutions. I am not homophobic I just want the government to stop telling people how to practice their religion.

*EDIT* Just to highlight a point, currently homosexuals can enter into a civil partnership that provides them with the same rights as heterosexual married couples. This is not about heterosexuals having more rights that homosexuals it’s about the state trying to force religious institutions to change.

edit on 13-12-2012 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Making same sex marriage legal is not giving the LGBT community power over straight people. It's giving equal power. Well, near equal power.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Dude, 50% of Marriage's end in Divorce.
Its Obviously not that Sacred to people anyway.
Get a Life and Stop passing Judgement on other Peoples Lives..
Is Yours so Perfect?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostyMew
Making same sex marriage legal is not giving the LGBT community power over straight people. It's giving equal power. Well, near equal power.

Never said anything about LGBT having power of heterosexual people, I am talking about the power that government is using to force religious institutions to change their ways.

Why should the rights of homosexuals be above the rights of religious people and institutions?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh......

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Who cares who marries who?

It's irrelevant, and just serves as a distraction used to polarize the masses against each other from all the other nonsense that is getting swept under the rug.

Just ridiculous.
edit on 13-12-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

What about Religious homosexual people?
Are they not allowed to marry in front of their God?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
For what it's worth my dad is gay and him and his partner are against gay marriage.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

I am not passing judgement on anyone’s lives did you even read my OP, I don’t judge anyone any differently if they fall asleep in the arms of a member of the same sex or if they sleep with a member of the opposite sex.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Does it affect you personally? Then why be against it.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Wait hold on...

So you have civil unions? Do they provide all the same legal benefits as a "married" couple would have?

If it is, then I agree with you entirely, and I'm a gay man.

If there are rights that are not provided to those in civil unions, but to people getting 'married' then I have a problem with this.

~Tenth

link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

They should recognise and accept that their religion does not allow homosexual marriage its really that simple. So no.

link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
Never said anything about LGBT having power of heterosexual people, I am talking about the power that government is using to force religious institutions to change their ways.

Why should the rights of homosexuals be above the rights of religious people and institutions?

not all religions are against gay marriage. the couple, if they so desire, should seek a religious institution that supports gay marriage.... then have at it.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

How is making gay marriage legal Forcing churches to marry gay people?

I feel that government should recognize straight or gay couples as Civil unions ONLY. Only one type only one set of rules for any 2 people.

Leave Marriage to Social Norms, Churches, and God..

edit on 12/13/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
"This goes further than just an issue of marriage there is a wider social component to this. This institution of Marriage is in tatters, divorce is up and the number of individuals entering into marriage is down."
I wish you had just stopped there. The rest of that paragraph is bordering on insulting.

I think it could have a bad effect on our society.
There's something people keep on forgetting about....
It's hard enough for parents to explain homosexuality to their children....
imagine having to explain to your kid how they can get married.
"So I can marry anyone I want to?"
I don't want to hear my kid ask that.
And I really feel it will have negative impacts on kids who hear about it.

I think most people haven't thought the gay marriage thing out all the way. I used to support it. Then I thought about it more and thought about what it really means.

"I feel that government should recognize straight or gay couples as Civil unions ONLY. "
I agree with that. It eliminates the problems I see happening, and still gives them equal rights.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yup, civil partnerships effectively grand homosexual couples the same legal rights as married couples the only difference is that it is a legal ceremony and not a religious one.

To be clear I am in 100% agreement with civil partnership, I think it is a fantastic idea.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well they aren't. All people are equal. And should be treated equally.
All they are asking for is equal treatment under the law.

If you are for equality then gay marriage shouldn't bother you. If you're not for equality well then I imagine this bothers you.

So the question is what side of the fence do you sit on?

I don't know about the UK but here in the states the Constitution grants us freedom of religion and from religion.
It would be illegal for the US government to condone gay marriage on the basis of religious reasons since the federal government cannot endorse any religion.
But seems our politicians turn a blind eye to this little wrinkle.

In any case. I'm for gay marriage because, to be honest, it doesn't affect me in any way shape or form.
It won't stop me from earning money, paying my bills or putting food on the table.
What you do in your own home with someone you love is your business. I wish people would keep their noses out of other peoples business.

+20 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Why is it everybody elses problem that you lack the parenting skills to explain something to your children?

I always found that mind boggling. " Oh think of the children"

Guess what?! I have 4 kids I raised in a same sex relationship, I never actually had to explain to them, since we lived in a house that promoted tolerance and open door ask anything you want policy.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Than in that case I'm in total agreement and this is just another example of the extremely nonsensical far left mentality of idiots.

Gosh the leaders of the gay community are a bunch of idiots. They should really realize they are doing themselves a disservice...

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

What about Religious homosexual people?
Are they not allowed to marry in front of their God?

That isn't for Government to say either way and it never has been. That's between follower and Faith. If enough followers to a given Faith decide it's not what they beleieve it should be, that is where the change rightfully needs to come from IMO.

I think the OP is right. 'The State' has no business in Marriage as an institution given it's deep and almost entirely religious background and roots. I'd have absolutely no problem with universal civil partnership carrying equal legal rights across the board but without the religious title or attachment. To be honest? I'm as straight as a board with my other half being very much a female kitty and I'd prefer the non-religious option if I had that choice to make. Gay people would just have it by default to avoid the religious conflict...unless a church itself is fine with doing it under their 'authority' as recognized by Government. Just never forced or pressure BY Government.

That's my 2 cents on a real complex issue.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join