It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Susan Rice drops out of running for secretary of state; Saddened by partisan politics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Susan Rice drops out of consideration for Sec. of State

rockcenter.nbcnews.com... e-saddened-by-partisan-politics?chromedomain=nbcpolitics

Embattled U.N. envoy Susan Rice is dropping out of the running to be the next secretary of state after months of criticism over her Benghazi comments, she told NBC News on Thursday.

“If nominated, I am now convinced that the confirmation process would be lengthy, disruptive and costly – to you and to our most pressing national and international priorities,” Rice wrote in a letter to President Obama, saying she’s saddened by the partisan politics surrounding her prospects.

“That trade-off is simply not worth it to our country...Therefore, I respectfully request that you no longer consider my candidacy at this time,” she wrote in the letter obtained by NBC News.

Brian Williams will have an exclusive interview with Rice on tonight’s “Rock Center With Brian Williams” at 10p/9c.

Rice had been viewed as one of the front-runners to replace Hillary Clinton as the nation’s top foreign policy official.

She has been under intense fire from Republicans for initially characterizing the Sept. 11 assault on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, as a spur-of-the-moment response to a crude anti-Muslim film.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 13-12-2012 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is breaking from msnbc as an exclusive story. The white house has already put out a story on this story. Saying she has strength of character to take herself out and put the country first despite unfounded personal attacks.

Thoughts? Smart? Inevitable?

John Kerry is now the most likely choice

www.nbcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Petreaus pretty much told the same story she told in his original story before he changed it. She stuck to hers even though it was tainted and ended up under the bus.

At the end of the day, it was the best thing for her to not be in consideration anymore for the position.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Not surprised and probably a smart thing. With all the things that need real attention, this controversy was just another distraction.

I personally think John Huntsman would be a fine Secretary of State. Kerry would not be my first choice. I assume it is all the partisan BS. I further think Obama could get some huge political capitol if he nominated Huntsman...a Republican... who was a successful Ambassador to China. Pretty good qualifications and credentials IMHO.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

I like Huntsman credentials but I can see Obama nominating his cousin, Kerry, for the position. Kerry also has been brushing up on his diplomatic skills overseas so don't be surprised with Obama's nomination.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I really really like Huntsman. Cant figure out why he doesnt earn large appeal from both sides for being a seemingly moderate conservative with reasonable liberal social viewpoints at times. I honestly think he truly represents the country more so than the likes of Obama, or Romney, or Ron Paul

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's pretty sad that well-qualified intelligent people cannot take a government position without being drug through the political minefield. No wonder our government never gets anything productive done.

I don't blame her for dropping out.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
lol
when are you folks ever going to learn

all statements from politicians and gov officials need to be filtered using the psychopaths dictionary

“If nominated, I am now convinced that the confirmation process would be lengthy, disruptive and costly – to you and to our most pressing national and international priorities,” Rice wrote in a letter to President Obama, saying she’s saddened by the partisan politics surrounding her prospects.

“That trade-off is simply not worth it to our country...Therefore, I respectfully request that you no longer consider my candidacy at this time,” she wrote in the letter obtained by NBC News.

TRANSLATION:
“If nominated, I am now convinced that the confirmation process would air dirty laundry belonging to myself and my fellow travelers. dirty laundry that would be disruptive,dangerous and costly to our plans.

“That trade-off is simply not worth it and dangerous to us...Therefore fuhgettaboutit
find somebody else.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
I personally think John Huntsman would be a fine Secretary of State. Kerry would not be my first choice. I assume it is all the partisan BS. I further think Obama could get some huge political capitol if he nominated Huntsman...a Republican... who was a successful Ambassador to China. Pretty good qualifications and credentials IMHO.

Hadn't thought of Huntsman. You're right, he would be a good choice.

Kerry will get it though. He's part of the old guard and Obama owes him.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Rice is an inappropriate selection for Secretary of State. Her performance before, during and after the Benghazi debacle was substandard. She should have immediately resigned from her current position, but she was not professional enough to do so.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimKey
Rice is an inappropriate selection for Secretary of State. Her performance before, during and after the Benghazi debacle was substandard. She should have immediately resigned from her current position, but she was not professional enough to do so.

Any support for all those claims, or just another bias opinion with absolutely no formal education in the field, or experience to merit that opinion.

Maybe something you heard on Rush?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

A personal observation based on the facts.

I do not like Limbaugh.
edit on 12/13/2012 by SimKey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32John Kerry is now the most likely choice
How about Don Cherry for the position? He couldn't find his arse with an atlas...but he won't be taking any crap from the Swedes!

Just tryin' to help, eh?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Plus his suits are always...... erm....... interesting

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I find it rather strange that she would drop out of a position she had not even been nominated for.
May she have been nominated?
Sure, I suppose she may have been the Administrations number one pick, but she has not been nominated so why all the hubbub about dropping out?
Sounds kinda like a smoke screen for something else.
Quad

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This most likely means that Kerry will be leaving the Senate and Scott Brown will be back in as the junior Senator for Ma (sigh). As much as the GOP hates Kerry, I bet he won't meet any resistance what so ever. The GOP wants Brown back in the Senate more than they hate Kerry.

As an aside I think Kerry will do well. He's decent as far as can be described for most politicians.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Theres always the possibility the Benghzai attacks was generated and the intelligence spiked to do exactly this...taint her chances.......thats possible too..........
Im no student of the infighting really, but i dont believe any thing they say...ever.....
The whole corrupt thing is awash with ugliness beyoond comprehension..........IMHO

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Theres always the possibility the Benghzai attacks was generated and the intelligence spiked to do exactly this...taint her chances.......thats possible too..........
Im no student of the infighting really, but i dont believe any thing they say...ever.....
The whole corrupt thing is awash with ugliness beyoond comprehension..........IMHO
So the deaths were faked? I'd ask the families of the innocent who died before making a statement like that.

Or people were murdered just to prevent a possible candidate for secretary of state from being appointed? Not everything is a darn conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Rice was never officially nominated for anything. So, what is she dropping out from?? Just more games from the administration. Had she been "officially nominated" by the administration all eyes and attention would be on Benghazi during her confirmation process. Obama hopes the nation will forget about Benghazi, those who died and the mysterious survivors who have been hidden away by the state dept....

She is simply another one of Obama's useful idiots whose time is up. He does not need her any longer. She will be appointed to another position that does not require a thorough vetting process and she will just disappear back into the shadows.

Kerry, give me a break.... I wonder if Mr. Swiftboat wants his old service medals back now... Perhaps Obama realized that making him Secretary of Defense would be a major Ooops! So, throw Rice under the bus and put up Kerry for the job. The poor guy has been waiting for something like this for decades..

edit on 14-12-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

My opinion, she declined the running of secretary of state because she knew if she did shed have to continue to answer questions on Benghazi and have to answer questions on a host of other policies she might be privy to......

The first thing they did when some of the media and the house hearings came out, was try to make it racial and partisan.........

Marginilize, and discredit........rinse repeat.........to keep her from having to talk...........

Good, im glad shes gone..........but whoever is up next is bound to be worse

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join