It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China asks army to be ready for regional war

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I see this as an extension of the Chinese revolution in the sense that i do believe the Chinese have a very great missile superiority over Taiwan and japan...
They are looking at the whole South China Sea, and there will be war with India over it....
mmeanwhile they have always wanted to rake taiwan back and they have to do something about it sooner or later...
No they never forgot......this is item one always with them.
The Oils the spark though....i think they are not fooling this time...
just like Tibet, one day youll wake up and Chinese will be attacking all over the China sea

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TauCetixeta
Well, that's okay. I heard the whole world is coming to an end December 21, 2012.

If only, it would save me a kings ransom in buying bloody presents and give a good show to boot....

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Just a thought. How about "ats type rules" be applied to those islands and heck, all other places around the world where contries are disputing territories. ats, in many threads, simply steps in and stops any and all parties from playing in said sandpits until they can play together nicely. imo it seems to work wouldn't you agree?

so maybe, that type of rule might work between say, China and Japan, Izzy and country 1, Izzy and country 2 Izzy and country 3 ........ , Different parts of Africa, and on and on.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Who knows where this may lead to. I always encouraged people to be wary of China's long-term goals. Chinese leaders feel like China should be the center of the world. After decades of preparing, upgrading and building, it looks like China is ready to start flexing its muscles. Who knows how much the political sphere will change in 25 to 50 years from now.

In a worse-case scenario, we may see China dominating East Asia. The possibility of Red Dawn happening could get more real. If China focused on "regional wars", they'd be gobbling up smaller neighbor. China will grow stronger with each new conquest. Within 5 to 10 years, they could be in a position to challenge Russia and win.

The original Red Dawn (2012) script had China invade the US. But the stupid marketing department thought it would hinder sales in China. So they changed the antagonists from Chinese to North Koreans. How lame!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This seems to me to have everything to do with the Trans Pacific Partnership, this is going to be one hell of a nasty trade agreement, China is heavily invested (obviously) in the area and doesn't want the US any where near their interests. I don't think there will be an all out war between the US and China but probably many small skirmishes.

MANILA: US and Philippine officials are expected to agree on an increase in the number of US military ships, aircraft and troops rotating through the Philippines, Filipino officials said, as tensions simmer with China over its maritime claims.

Though he made no direct reference to the territorial disputes, new Chinese Communist Party chief Xi Jinping urged his military to prepare for a struggle. He made the comments during his visit to a South China Sea fleet ship in southern Guangdong province, but did not name any potential aggressor.

Ti mes of India

If you don't know what the TPP is, please get informed... it's probably the most important thing for any citizens of nations affected, to know.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I just had a scary thought about those Chinese built "ghost cities".

They're not just in China, but there are a lot of them far from anything else.

Could they be in case of a nuclear exchange between us?

Large empty cities just waiting for for the ruling elites to move in to, far away from any fallout areas.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
China still has a grudge against Japan for the 30's and 40's, and rightly so!

The US also hasnt forgotten the pain inflicted by the Japanese, yes they are an economic partner but none the less would the US be willing a nuclear war with China over Japan? I wouldnt be so sure to stamp my opinion on that.

China have been preparing and stocking for war for a while, maybe they feel use it or lose it ?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

You know, I agree the U.S. seems to be taking no official position on South China Sea border disputes.

There is something that comes to mind though. Are you aware of what one of the last official messages to Saddam Hussein was before he invaded Kuwait and changed the world forever? Our Ambassador to Iraq told him the United States took no official position on Middle Eastern border disputes.

(Looks to find the TV remote to turn this rerun off ... I've seen the show before) lol...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The posturing over the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands has been going on since the early 1970's when oil and gas were discovered and stewardship reverted from the U.S. back to Japan.

Ironically, political tensions aside, the PRC and Taiwan both claim the islands are Taiwanese territory. Japan has had an economic presence on the Islands since 1900 and doesn't recognize the ROC as a sovereign nation.

While the actual ownership is disputed, nobody is going to fight a war over them. China is going to push the issue as far as they can get away with, as they are doing now. Japan sortieing 8 F-15J's to intercept a single PLAAF bug smasher draws a line in the sand and sends a very clear signal that Japan is deadly serious.

Although all out war is unrealistic, the situation does have the possibility of becoming a quick flash point. Keep in mind that any military confrontation would be brief and would greatly favor the Japanese Self-Defense Forces.

As another poster pointed out, the JDF have the teeth to back up any threat. Barring the PRC being willing to fight a prolonged war of attrition to overwhelm the JDF through sheer force of numbers (which the U.S. would not allow due to the global economic importance of Pacific Rim trade ), any real effort on behalf of the PRC to flex their muscle over the issue will see the PRC limping home to lick their wounds.

Where this would get interesting is if Taiwan were to declare sovereignty from mainland China and claim ownership of the disputed islands.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: sp

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
It would seem China is getting pretty pushy here lately and the U.S. is being asked by several nations for help if push comes to shove. Hmm...

Bangkok - The government of Philippines President Benigno Aquino may be wading into choppy diplomatic waters by turning to the United States to counter China's aggressiveness in the South China Sea, one of the world's busiest shipping lanes.

A protest outside the US embassy in Manila over the weekend by local leftwing and indigenous groups is an indication of what can be expected in the run-up to planned combat drills involving US and Filipino forces in the troubled waters of the South China Sea.
Source

Vietnam has called on the US and other nations to help resolve the escalating territorial disputes in the resource-rich South China Sea, in a move likely to anger Beijing, which opposes what it sees as outside interference.

Tensions between China and Vietnam continued to rise over the weekend, ahead of live-fire drills planned by Vietnam’s navy on Monday on an islet around 20 miles from the coast of central Vietnam, which Hanoi described as “routine”.
Source

Both of those are in recent times and not happening today....and that goes to show the long term nature of the problem too. Biden and Obama have both been talking about focusing U.S. Naval power in the Western Pacific and South China Sea. So, if China is ever going to do anything...now is the time. It sounds like it's going to get crowded there in coming years. Hopefully though, all stays quiet and it fades as it always has in the past.

Japan might have technology....but China has numbers to stomp Japan into mush. China also has deeeep and very real hate dating back half a century and very much something that I've read they are aware of. That wouldn't do well for Japan as things go I'd say. The fact is...if the two went to anything more than harsh language, it becomes the US and China real quick. I'd rather not go there with the current leadership.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
China still has a grudge against Japan for the 30's and 40's, and rightly so!

The US also hasnt forgotten the pain inflicted by the Japanese, yes they are an economic partner but none the less would the US be willing a nuclear war with China over Japan? I wouldnt be so sure to stamp my opinion on that.

China have been preparing and stocking for war for a while, maybe they feel use it or lose it ?

Nuclear war is a fantasy of doomsday fetishists. Nuclear weapons are only a real option when and only when one nation has them and the opposing side does not. That is why to this day only one nation has detonated a nuclear device in a war.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Now this, I agree with you 100% on. China has sane, logical and highly intelligent people based in reality. The United States has sane, logical and highly intelligent people based in reality. So does Russia for that matter. It would take the most freakish of circumstances or escalation by outside nations totally beyond reason to bring nuclear exchanges between the 3 BIG powers. Horrible conventional war? Perhaps.... Nuclear? No. Agreed.

Beijing and Washington would both know...at the instant they committed to doing it...launching those weapons would be as much suicide as it would be evil. I don't worry about the major powers...I worry about the small nations with less rational leaders. (Of All stripes and flavors....no one in particular)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
I just had a scary thought about those Chinese built "ghost cities".

They're not just in China, but there are a lot of them far from anything else.

Could they be in case of a nuclear exchange between us?

Large empty cities just waiting for for the ruling elites to move in to, far away from any fallout areas.

What is there to keep the U.S. from targeting the "ghost cities"?

If the "ruling elite" were to relocate to Kangbashi or Chenggong, they become legitimate command and control targets and modern delivery systems can be re-targeted in a matter of minutes.

Of note as well is that China's nuclear arsenal is a regional, theater threat. They haven't developed any substantial intercontinental strategic capability on par with the U.S. or Russian Federation.... yet.

The PLA Second Artillery corps/Strategic Rocket Forces have a total of some 60 ( mainly liquid fueled meaning exposed and vulnerable while being prepped) land based ICBM's capable of striking the CONUS and the PLAN possibly 4 operational SSBN's that are suffering from severe teething problems with a limited number ( maybe 20 )of JL-2 SLBM's to share between them.

By contrast the USAF strategic arsenal has 450 solid fuel Miunuteman III missiles cocked and ready, 14 SSBN's carrying some 1100 warheads and over 100 strategic bombers configured for nuclear delivery with some 500 warheads.

The figures above are not including the U.S. tactical stockpile, the 3000 + "inactive" strategic warheads or the 5000+ "retired intact" warheads in the stockpile

This will obviously change in the future but China's strategic nuclear threat is little more than a paper tiger at this juncture.

Not to say that the PRC couldn't wreck havoc across S.E. Asia however add in the widely deployed and proven U.S. ABM umbrella with the wildcard of superior U.S. ASW and deep penetration/strike assets like the B-2 that would be immediately targeting PLAN boomers and PLA ICBM's.

As of now, any nuclear exchange between China and the the U.S. would be one sided and guaranteed to end poorly for China.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
That is why to this day only one nation has detonated a nuclear device in a war.

And also why the world has not seen a major confrontation between global powers in nearly 70 years.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I think mother nature could decide, if recent events are anything to go by.

I fear this posturing could lead to a restart of missile testing in the area, following on from the defiance of North Korea. China may be the biggest on the block but it has a glaring weakness...thousands of dams, earthquakes, rock-slides and surges could cripple large areas, like tumbling dominoes. The runoff would hit parts of Japan and Korea if the `Three Gorges Dam` fell unleashing the Yangtze River, probably carrying most of Shanghai with it.

Link to a map of the Chinese dam network (big-pic)
www.hydrochina.com.cn...
edit on 14/12/12 by ironbutterflyrusted because: adding

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Japan is really dependent upon US to fight if it ever comes to that. China is testing US resolve to support Japan by pushing the issue here with these islands. The response of the US so far has been limited, more a "show" of force than any actual resistance. So we move a few boats to the area and monitor...

China must be reassured that American assets are committed elsewhere (the Middle East) and that they are spread pretty thin all around the planet.

Wait and see what happens. If China extends its reach suddenly into the area of contention, whats the US going to do, start a shooting war with China?

Of course shifting what little reserves the US have to the area helps Russia and Iran in the Middle East. US needs to guard both the Middle East and the Pacific now. There will be no repeat of that kind of WWII domination of the planet. Modern China is not the same as WWII Japan.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Telos
According to 2005 treaty, USA has no obligation to intervene militarily and side itself with Japan

Japan will defend itself and respond to situations in areas surrounding Japan, including addressing new threats and diverse contingencies such as ballistic missile attacks, attacks by guerilla and special forces, and invasion of remote islands. For these purposes, Japan's defense posture will be strengthened in accordance with the 2004 National Defense Program Guidelines.

Hi Telos,

Could you give me a hint or better still, a link to this treaty? I haven't found anything yet about that treaty - which will prove to be very, very important in the not so far future, I fear..

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Well this is certainly interesting now isn't it. Could china perhaps be looking to flex some muscle, as Israel did with Gaza? China and Japan have had a long standing grudge, not that they have voiced it since WW2, but they are not exactly friends either. I'd be really worried as a Japanese civilian, and even more worried as an American Serviceman. If something broke out here, it would be with in close range(relatively) of the Chinese motherland. The biggest chip anyone takes at the Chinese military is their inability to mobilize it's forces. If a war were to break out in the region, Chinese missiles can be launched on targets from the mainland. Japan could suffer enormous damage if China is seriously looking for a fight. It's not very far for their navy, air-force, or missiles to hit those targets.

If the US had to come to the aid of Japan they would be putting themselves with in striking distance of the Chinese, and I sincerely doubt the Americans could launch any sort of ground invasion that close to China. China's ground forces are enormous, and it would be incredibly easy for the Chinese to transport invasion forces and reinforcements that close to home. The US would have to sail relatively close to China to launch any sort of support. Unless of course they intend to so their supporting entirely by ICBM, which with the distance they need to travel and a nuke making the world angry, puts them in a tricky position. ICBM's can be detected on route to their targets, with out a nuke the damage may not be worth the cost, nor the chance the missile would be shot down. I'm not savvy with Chinese anti-sub technology but it's about the only unit that could risk getting that close to china. If you bring a carrier into air-craft strike range of china, they are likely to lose aircraft from Chinese anti-air, and counter aircraft. Putting a carrier that close, also runs the risk of a saturation attack of Chinese anti-ship missiles.

I'm sure these scenarios have all been thought about over the years, but with all the tension in the middle east, and Russia taking an increasingly disapproving stance on the US could the US back up their allies if the Chinese attack? What is Russia's stance on all this? There has been dispute over the island territories for some time, if the Russians side with China, and china makes a move, how will the US compete that close to both Russian and Chinese mainland?

Japan has had a really rough go these last few years. Earthquakes, tsunami, Meltdowns, and now the Chinese pointing their sword at them. Wicked world we live in. This is certainly a dicey situation.

Patriots of America feel free to beat your chests and talk yourselves up, you can't deny being dragged that close to China's coast is a good thing for your boys. Unfortunately a nuke isn't an option in this age.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

It just hit me. Perhaps the Chinese have been building their Ghost cities to move their civilians away from the coast for a potential conflict. It would make sense, if you move out civilians and important officials it leaves a large expanse of coastline open for the conflict. Cut down civilian losses, and remove the worry if their own forces have to employ the old Russian tactic of burn and retreat.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
What is sad is; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Japan had this Island first. And China got it after WWII, we gave the island to China.

Now Japan buys it back? And there's an issue?

So let me get this straight. Truman cries that Japan is in China's business during WWII.

Truman states "Get out or we will cut off trade"

Japan Ignores.

Truman Cuts off trade

Japan retaliates and goes pearl harbor.

We enter the War like Truman wanted (Constitutionally, Through aggravation)

Now China wont leave Japan alone for the island they already owned prior and bought back?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join