It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powell presses Syria for cooperation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 11:49 PM
link   
BEIRUT, Lebanon, May 3 � U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell demanded on Saturday that Syria stop supporting anti-Israeli guerrillas and conform to U.S. plans for the Middle East after the war in Iraq. After meeting with Syrian President Bashar Assad, he reported that the country has begun forcing groups the Bush administration considers terrorist organizations to close their offices in Damascus, but more is needed....

www.msnbc.com...

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Let's hope he has more success than when he was "pressing" Israel.

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Oh, ye of little memory: it was only last year! Does no one remember the arch-boob Anthony Zinni?

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 11:57 PM
link   
that syria will act up. we may have to liberate the living hell out of them.
i thought you were leaving MM, good to see ya back! i think if syria wanted to defy, if would've tried, and we wouldn't be discussing this tonight.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I remember Zinni, the chubby ex-general. Now, that was a success, not. With all due respect, the 'roadmap' wasn't available then (I'm being funny)

Anyway, how much oil does Syria have: If some, send Powell, if alot send 'Rummy'.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 01:19 AM
link   
powell is more genius in military affairs then in oily affairs. rummy, is ahh. well, he's rummy.

i just hope neither of them would have a reason to go. damn war.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 01:25 AM
link   
No oil, Bob - d*mn good place for a pipeline terminal, though.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 01:32 AM
link   
pipelines, pipelines!?! That's bin ladens area.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 01:33 AM
link   
And Koh-Linn must be hoping Cheney's occupied elsewhere: Cheney and Rummy do not seem to love Mr Powell.
On the other hand, you'll recall that - by sheer coincidence - the Israelis intercepted a boatload of arms for Arafat "from Iran" that time round: so we look forward to some more splendid coincidences in the near future.

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 01:37 AM
link   
"No oil, Bob - d*mn good place for a pipeline terminal, though."

Forgetful old me, Bob.
Of course there is a pipeline already there -ideal for pumping Iraq's newly liberated oil (it always was in the unliberated past) and the pipeline was only marginally damaged ( allegedly) by US commandos during the recent unpleasantness.
Who'd have believed it?

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 01:38 AM
link   
yup, I remember. But, that can go both ways. Do we want to hold that against Iran - or is US upset that it wasn't the US selling those arms
You never know...

[Edited on 4-5-2003 by Bob88]

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 01:46 AM
link   
and p.s. - this was the same pipeline that was shipping illegal oil to Syria? hmm, it was carefully 'not destroyed' in GF dos think Rummy said it was 'turned off' - you're on to something, I have a long commute, so I am bias.

[Edited on 4-5-2003 by Bob88]

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
Oh, ye of little memory: it was only last year! Does no one remember the arch-boob Anthony Zinni?

No who or what is that?!?!?

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I cant help but wonder if one item on Powells agenda was asking (politely I am sure) that the Syrians do not attempt to force a vote in OPEC to change the oil standard currency to the Euro.

Since we only have a vast array of military forces sitting just across the Syrian border in Iraq, can you say "gunboat diplomacy"?

VzH

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I cant help but wonder if one item on Powells agenda was asking (politely I am sure) that the Syrians do not attempt to force a vote in OPEC to change the oil standard currency to the Euro.

"Iraq war was an oil currency war."
a theory by W.Clark
Here is the link : www.ratical.org...

------------
The Real Reasons for the Upcoming War With Iraq:
A Macroeconomic and Geostrategic Analysis of the Unspoken Truth
by W. Clark
January 2003 (last revised 6 March)
Independent Media Center
www.indymedia.org

Although completely suppressed by the U.S. media and government, the answer to the Iraq enigma is simple yet shocking -- it is an oil currency war. The real reason for this upcoming war is this administration's goal of preventing further Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) momentum towards the euro as an oil transaction currency standard. However, in order to pre-empt OPEC, they need to gain geo-strategic control of Iraq along with its 2nd largest proven oil reserves. This essay will discuss the macroeconomics of the `petro-dollar' and the unpublicized but real threat to U.S. economic hegemony from the euro as an alternative oil transaction currency. The author advocates reform of the global monetary system including a dollar/euro currency `trading band' with reserve status parity, and a dual OPEC oil transaction standard. These reforms could potentially reduce future oil currency warfare.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be . . . The People cannot be safe without information. When the press is free, and every man is able to read, all is safe."

Those words by Thomas Jefferson embody the unfortunate state of affairs that have beset our nation. As our government prepares to go to war with Iraq, our country seems unable to answer even the most basic questions about this upcoming conflict. First, why is there almost no international support to topple Saddam? If Iraq's weapons of mass destruction (WMD) program truly possessed the threat level that President Bush has repeatedly purported, why are our historic allies not joining a coalition to militarily disarm Saddam? Secondly, despite over 350 unfettered U.N inspections, there has been no evidence reported that Iraq has reconstituted its WMD program. Indeed, the Bush administration's claims about Iraq's WMD capability appear demonstrably false. [1] [2] Third, and despite President Bush's rhetoric, the CIA has not found any links between Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda. To the contrary, some intelligence analysts believe it is far more likely Al Qaeda might acquire an unsecured former Soviet Union Weapon(s) of Mass Destruction, or potentially from sympathizers within a destabilized Pakistan.

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Check this thread, a bit of evidence to support this position...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join