It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can debunk "Infinity" in less than 8 minutes

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation
reply to post by NorEaster

It is not everyday I hear someone claim that infinity does not exist especially when it seems they know nothing about mathematics. Here is an experiment i propose you do. Take two mirrors and make them face each other. Can you tell me when the reflections will cease on each mirror?

you should see basically something similar to this picture

Source

You do know that the mirror thing is an extremely weak effort to defend the existence of physical infinity. Don't you? You may as well draw a modius strip. Or give a half twist to a strip of paper and glue the ends together. There are those who might think it's clever, but that wouldn't affect the true relationship (or lack thereof) between the concept of physical infinity and reality as it exists.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
I didn't realize there was even a conspiracy surrounding infinity..... really? So what do we call things that appear endless? Oh and, whats the highest number we can count to?

Endless is not the same as infinite. Infinite extends in both directions. Endless only extends in one direction. Big difference between the two.

There are negative numbers too, you know.

Not in physical reality there aren't. Again, you're conceptualizing. That's conscious rumination, and it does not reflect the nature of physical reality.

".......nature of physical reality". That too, is a concept. You've even broken off a piece of the whole reality and labeled it "physical".

Physical reality exists. It's not conceptual. It makes it possible for conceptualization to occur. This isn't a philosophical discussion. This is a discussion about what's real and physically tangible. You don't have to believe in physical reality, but you are absolute proof that it exists regardless of what you believe.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

You don't understand english. Retract? Never said that. I've basically said what's in the links I posted. Which contradict you.

I've said the universe will continue to expand at an increasing rate. Which is what is in the links.

You've said it will stop expanding at some point. We don't know that and you have provided nothing to support this view.

I can see your spelling, grammar and english is not very good, second language?
edit on 17-12-2012 by JimTSpock because: kirk

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
I didn't realize there was even a conspiracy surrounding infinity..... really? So what do we call things that appear endless? Oh and, whats the highest number we can count to?

Endless is not the same as infinite. Infinite extends in both directions. Endless only extends in one direction. Big difference between the two.

There are negative numbers too, you know.

Not in physical reality there aren't. Again, you're conceptualizing. That's conscious rumination, and it does not reflect the nature of physical reality.

".......nature of physical reality". That too, is a concept. You've even broken off a piece of the whole reality and labeled it "physical".

Physical reality exists. It's not conceptual. It makes it possible for conceptualization to occur. This isn't a philosophical discussion. This is a discussion about what's real and physically tangible. You don't have to believe in physical reality, but you are absolute proof that it exists regardless of what you believe.

No, the OP was discussing infinity, which IS only a concept. Unless this discussion has veered away from the original post.

'Physical reality' is a concept, just as 'Matter' is a concept, and until the 'God practical' is proven to exist (will never happen), they will remain concepts.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but until the God particle is proven to exist, ALL understanding of life and so called reality, will remain as concepts and ideas.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

in reality the God Particle has been discovered...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Am I the only one who got a laugh out of the thread title?

If you turn the 8 on it's side it looks like the infinity symbol.

edit on 17-12-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai
reply to post by Visitor2012

in reality the God Particle has been discovered...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Sorry, but only it's footprint has been discovered. Evidence that points to the belief that it exists, nothing more...
edit on 17-12-2012 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

LOL. Maybe the joke's on us. Infinity wasn't debunked in 8 minutes. Maybe infinity could be debunked in infinity.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JimTSpock

You've said it will stop expanding at some point. We don't know that and you have provided nothing to support this view.

Yes i said that our universe will stop expanding, because our universe is a finite.

I cant prove it, no one can. If you which to believe your sources it is fine with me.
Its just that i don't believe your sources are correct. You can use that against me, but that doesn't change the way i see things. And it doesn't make you more write- Because you have no proof. Your links are not proof.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai
WMAP confims the "Universe" is Infinite....

map.gsfc.nasa.gov...

No, it proves that our universe is a finite.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

That's fine, whatever bro. You really don't make any sense at all.
edit on 18-12-2012 by JimTSpock because: arguing with moron

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimTSpock
reply to post by spy66

That's fine, whatever bro. You really don't make any sense at all.
edit on 18-12-2012 by JimTSpock because: arguing with moron

That is why you should stick to your sources. Why debate this if you have no personal knowledge?
We can all read a source, but its not what debates should be about.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

If you haven't answered many of my posts, it's probably because you're still cogitating on what i said.

Let be simpler. Use only logic. Every time you see A, replace it with AB and every time you see B, replace it with A. Start with A:

S0 = A
S1 = AB
S2 = ABA
S3 = ABAAB
S4 = ABAABABA
S5 = ABAABABAABAAB
S6 = ABAABABAABAABABAABABA
S7 = ABAABABAABAABABAABABAABAABABAABAAB
S8 = ABAABABAABAABABAABABAABAABABAABAABABAABABAABAABABAABABA
Sx = ...

S0 becomes S1, S1 becomes S2, S2 becomes S3, etc. Pretty simple, isn't it? You can go on and on, infinitely. If you don't like the word "infinitely", you can replace it with a synonym: never-endingly, endlessly, eternally, etc. That is known as the infinite Fibonacci word (which has very interesting properties, btw).

You can reproduce it, in the physical world, with numbers, letters, symbols, 3d forms, sounds, etc., etc., Infinitely. In other words, in the real world, you can reproduce infinities, infinitely...

Your silence is quite honestly disturbing so please answer this post otherwise i'll consider your case as definitively debunked.

edit on 18-12-2012 by D1ss1dent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by D1ss1dent

If you haven't answered many of my posts, it's probably because you're still cogitating on what i said.

Let be simpler. Use only logic. Every time you see A, replace it with AB and every time you see B, replace it with A. Start with A:

S0 = A
S1 = AB
S2 = ABA
S3 = ABAAB
S4 = ABAABABA
S5 = ABAABABAABAAB
S6 = ABAABABAABAABABAABABA
S7 = ABAABABAABAABABAABABAABAABABAABAAB
S8 = ABAABABAABAABABAABABAABAABABAABAABABAABABAABAABABAABABA
Sx = ...

S0 becomes S1, S1 becomes S2, S2 becomes S3, etc. Pretty simple, isn't it? You can go on and on, infinitely. If you don't like the word "infinitely", you can replace it with a synonym: never-endingly, endlessly, eternally, etc. That is known as the infinite Fibonacci word (which has very interesting properties, btw).

You can reproduce it, in the physical world, with numbers, letters, symbols, 3d forms, sounds, etc., etc., Infinitely. In other words, in the real world, you can reproduce infinities, infinitely...

Your silence is quite honestly disturbing so please answer this post otherwise i'll consider your case as definitively debunked.

Question;

What physical property in existence can do this infinitely?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Not bothering...
edit on 18-12-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Question;

What physical property in existence can do this infinitely?

The only thing I know is that this nonperiodic pattern can be seen in nature, if not man-made.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

Yes i said that our universe will stop expanding, because our universe is a finite.

How? What is the physical mechanism that will result in the current acceleration slowing, eventually stopping, and then (apparently, I think you said this,) staying in that static state?

JamesTSpock and I have both shown you the physical mechanism, gravitational attraction, that says that will NOT happen, so I'd like to know what you're hanging your hat on. I'm not asking for proof, I'm just asking what your theory is -- and some detail if it's nothing more than "the universe is finite," because that might be a cause, but it's not a means.

There's no friction, there's no resistance and there is the ever dwindling effect of gravity, so barring something mystical (like God) or something ridiculous (like a rubber wall at the edge of space) I'm at a loss to understand what you're on about and reconciling it to the laws of physics.
edit on 18-12-2012 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

this is a discussion about what's real and physically tangible.

As your only focusing your concept of infinity on physical matter/reality...

We all know that everything dies mountains rise or fall, etc.

So is your real point "everything dies in one way or another"?

Who doesn't know that?

The thing is, in you OP you didn't focus on just the physical.
you said:

but in the 2nd part of this video I really think that I soundly debunk the concept of Infinity - and thereby (throiugh direct logical inference) debunk all infinite stuff like the always existent God, the Universal Consciousness, infinite amounts of energy that cannot be created nor destroyed, omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, infinite space/time/multi-universes, and whatever else is described as being infinite in nature.

edit on 12/18/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

How? What is the physical mechanism that will result in the current acceleration slowing, eventually stopping, and then (apparently, I think you said this,) staying in that static state?

JamesTSpock and I have both shown you the physical mechanism, gravitational attraction, that says that will NOT happen, so I'd like to know what you're hanging your hat on. I'm not asking for proof, I'm just asking what your theory is -- and some detail if it's nothing more than "the universe is finite," because that might be a cause, but it's not a means.

There's no friction, there's no resistance and there is the ever dwindling effect of gravity, so barring something mystical (like God) or something ridiculous (like a rubber wall at the edge of space) I'm at a loss to understand what you're on about and reconciling it to the laws of physics.

Who said that the acceleration was slowing down? I sure didn't.

The expansion of our universe doesn't need to slow down to become infinite. All it needs to do is expand.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Who said that the acceleration was slowing down? I sure didn't.

Yes, you did -- right up there:

What's the process that takes us from an accelerating expansion to "our universe will stop expanding"?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join