It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia says Syrian rebels might win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Wow-i thought the Ruskies were in it to help Assad win it but now it seems like they are conceding defeat.

www.reuters.com...

"(Reuters) - Syrian rebels are gaining ground and might win, Russia's Middle East envoy said on Thursday, in the starkest such admission from a major ally of President Bashar al-Assad in 20 months of conflict.

"One must look the facts in the face," Russia's state-run RIA quoted Mikhail Bogdanov as saying. "Unfortunately, the victory of the Syrian opposition cannot be ruled out."

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hmmm.... I have two questions on this. Was he speaking as personal analysis or was he speaking as the position of the Russian Federation? The difference is another Libya vs. full regional and perhaps world war.

Second...Is Putin blinking on this? If so, where is the line or is there one? I don't know what to make of it if Russia and China actually do allow the West to roll over Syria and then Iran without more than some backhanded support under the table. There are no lines past Iran and the next step is their own borders. They have to know that....? I don't see the U.S. stopping of it's own accord anymore. At one time I couldn't see it going on like this at all...but now? I don't see it ending.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Hmmm.... I have two questions on this. Was he speaking as personal analysis or was he speaking as the position of the Russian Federation? The difference is another Libya vs. full regional and perhaps world war.

Second...Is Putin blinking on this? If so, where is the line or is there one? I don't know what to make of it if Russia and China actually do allow the West to roll over Syria and then Iran without more than some backhanded support under the table. There are no lines past Iran and the next step is their own borders. They have to know that....? I don't see the U.S. stopping of it's own accord anymore. At one time I couldn't see it going on like this at all...but now? I don't see it ending.

The only thing Russia and China want from Iran and Syria are a market for their arms and other things. They also have no problem jumping horse if it looks like their current client is going down. I would not be suprised if Russia has been selling arms to the rebels for sometime so that they can get a piece of the market when the new regime takes over. People seem to mistake what is simply attempts to keep market shares as some sort of loyalty or a strategic game. Russia will support a client with words so long as they can keep buying then they will change sides, these are not regimes they like they are just customers they want to keep.
edit on 13-12-2012 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It sounds to me that its not just him (he is a top official) but the Kremlin as well.

"Bogdanov also said Moscow is preparing to evacuate thousands of its citizens from Syria, where nearly two years of violent conflict have killed more than 40,000 people and turned Assad into a global pariah. His statement marks a clear attempt by the Kremlin to begin positioning itself for Assad's eventual defeat at a time when rebels are making significant gains."

www.mercurynews.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

I'd beg to differ pretty strongly there. There is an enormous strategic interest at stake here and in terms of Russia's ability to project influence and economic power it can't be underestimated.

At present, there isn't a pipeline that runs from the Caspian Sea to the Med as a straight shot. Never has been one. It's a run across a couple nations to get to the Black Sea with Turkey taking it's cut or Iran carries what others may need out to the Persian Gulf for tankers there. Russia draws it's sources from the same puddle of course, but the point is...access to get energy resources OUT of the Caspian region have been long established, rigid and limited.

Iran, Iraq and Syria...just this year...inked the final deal on a 10 Billion dollar natural gas pipeline from the Iranian Caspian energy fields on out to a final terminal in Lebanon by way of Syria. The initial project is national consumption levels to the 3 nations involved plus just a bit for profit out to international shipping in the Med...for now anyway.

How this matters is that Russia has a great deal of it's influence over Europe and it's former possessions tied up in the flow of Natural Gas, of which it's a pretty serious exporter and known reserve location in it's own right. There are a number of media stories anyone can google over the last 10-15 years of Russian flexing it's muscles by playing with the natural gas flow across the Ukraine and/or on into Europe.

Now if one or both of Syria and Iran remain dependent client states of the Russian Federation, then nothing changes and there won't be some big expansion on this first time ever pipeline between the inland Sea and the Med. All remains static. If, however, the West controls BOTH Damascus and Tehran with existing influence in the Iraqi system....well, Putin is looking at a considerably different world in strategic terms ....in about the time it takes to lay the pipe the existing regimes surveyed out and finalized.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
All I see here is Russia acknowedging that its possibe the Rebels may win the war. Where does it say they are pulling their support for Assad and are switching teams?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Ummm...i dont know who said Russia was pulling their support for Assad?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

"I believe that the Russians have woken up and are sensing that they have implicated themselves with this regime, but they don't know how to get out," al-Khatib told Reuters. He held them "particularly responsible" for helping Assad with arms but said Moscow need not "lose everything" in Syria if it changed tack.

So, are these people just making crap up? Or have Russia officially stated that they are looking for a way out concerning Assad? Either that or we have some very good mind readers. I understand you didn't mention it, but others seem to think Russia are ready.. I think they are dreaming.

new topics

top topics

join