It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prejudice Against the Fat

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by PrplHrt

Sorry, it's not a conspiracy.

If you are obese, than you are unhealthy. Period.

I don't think it should be a qualification for President, other than how will you encourage a nation of healthy eaters if you yourself are not healthy?

How can you start helping America get off the sugar dealer and on to proper consumption and excercise if you yourself do you expouse those beliefs?

~Tenth

I am sorry but science says you are totally wrong.

Many many studies say otherwise. if this is what you are going by look again!

Often, a visit to the doctor’s office starts with a weigh-in. But is a person’s weight really a reliable indicator of overall health?

Increasingly, medical research is showing that it isn’t. Despite concerns about an obesity epidemic, there is growing evidence that our obsession about weight as a primary measure of health may be misguided.

Last week a report in The Archives of Internal Medicine compared weight and cardiovascular risk factors among a representative sample of more than 5,400 adults. The data suggest that half of overweight people and one-third of obese people are “metabolically healthy.” That means that despite their excess pounds, many overweight and obese adults have healthy levels of “good” cholesterol, blood pressure, blood glucose and other risks for heart disease.

www.nytimes.com...

I would suspect that is simply disinfo from those who want us to consume, consume, consume. You know, those people who get rich off our excess?

Tell my aunt who has worked for many years as a registered nurse. She knows full well the cost, financial and emotional of those who eat to access then suffer the medical consequences.

In Canada with out universal healthcare, we the taxpayers pay for those problems.
edit on 14-12-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

Weight is an issue if you consider the health risks associated with being overweight.

Add to that the stress of making life or death decisions that a president must be able to make.

You wouldn't want your President to have a heart attack just as we're being attacked by another country.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeopleParty
Is making people fat secretly dumbing people down? Iv heard fat people are less intelligent than skinny or fit people.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Don't know how true this is, but where better to ask the question than in this Thread.

By the way I mean no offence I know people who are over weight(its hard not to living in the uk or america I suppose) and to me they don't seam no dumber than skinny or fit people. Saying that I do live in one of the worst council estates in one of England's worst Cities so pretty much everyone I know is kind of dumb.

Most people hit different weights through life...smart or dumb. Smart people realize they are the same person!

Eisenstein rare photos not a stick figure is he.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

reply to post by PrplHrt

As for it being my business, no it's not really my business what people choose to put in their bodies, but they can't turn around and cry foul when I tell them what they are doing is wrong.

Being Obese, isn't ok. If it was then babies would be born Obese, but they aren't. They are born usually with healthy weights, or under weight.

In ANY case, I pay more taxes in Canada, because my neighbor down the street wants to stuff his face fulll of twinkies everyday and end up with cardio vascular disease and diabetes by age 22.

In any case, to go back to the topic, Christie is plenty qualified to be Presient, I even like some of his policies and ideas.

But i'm going to call him a hypocrite if he does become President and starts talking about making the nation healthy.

~Tenth
edit on 12/13/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Where is your source for you numbers?

In a long-term study of more than 7,500 infants across the country, nearly 32 percent of babies were deemed overweight or even obese at 9 months. By the time the children were 2 years old, that number had nudged up to more than 34 percent.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Personally i think the medical profession is crazy. When I was a child a fat baby was a healthy baby, like the Gerber Food Baby, and I believe they were right back then, certainly people seemed smarted. All they want now is more over everything even if it means leaving kids home alone.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
Does anyone have an example of a condition that isn't publicly or privately ridiculed, but is also evidence of a person's inability to control their impulses?

We ridicule people for not being able to stop themselves from drinking too much. We ridicule people for not being able to control their appetite for drugs. We ridicule people for not being able to quit smoking. When a person can't control their behavior, it's either compulsive, criminal, or both. And compulsive behaviors, by their very nature, threaten equilibrium within a person. From the perspective of a society's drive to comfortably sustain itself, it's actually quite natural to shun those who suffer at the hands of their own lack of self-control. I'm not saying it's right, but you've got a heck of a battle on your hands when it comes to suffocating natural behaviors.

yeah that's why this...among other things

Astounding increase in antidepressant use by Americans

www.health.harvard.edu...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by jiggerj
If an obese man dropped dead in front of me I would still administer CPR. If I witnessed an obese woman crying it would make me sad. If an obese person won the lottery I would be happy for them.

That is very impressive and humanitarian of you...

Many response in this thread, if you applied a protected CHOICE scenario to, would be almost universally considered as biggotted. Example:
Religion is a choice as much as being fat is, but see how far you'd make it stating:
"I was so disgusted, watching that Christian buying Twinkies at the store."
Homosexuality may or may not be a choice, but transvestitism certainly is a choice... yet many communities have passed protections for them, and usually you'd take a lot of grief for openly mocking them or admitting revulsion.
Bald people have a clear choice of wearing a hat, wig, or shaving the rest of their head... try commenting on how stupid someone with thinning hair looks and see the reactions of others.

The list could go on. And, before anyone wonders, I'm technically a fat man. No, I don't sit around ashamed of that, my health is far better than a lot of "normal" weight people I know (just had a physical 2 months ago, all tests perfect), I can outhustle most people across a mud flat in hip waders, and I'm a pretty happy person aside from politics and the overall state of this country. I don't eat because I'm trying to hide something or fill a need, I eat because my food tastes pretty damn good.

For some reason you want to turn my statement into a bad thing. By doing this you deny what it means to be human. Are you telling us that you've never been suddenly confronted by a severely deformed person and averted your eyes? You pass by a disheveled homeless guy mumbling to himself and you don't (instinctively) pretend he doesn't exist? If you answer that you've never done this, you are either an angel or a liar. It is human to be at least a bit apprehensive of that which falls out of our comfort zone.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
Personally i think the medical profession is crazy. When I was a child a fat baby was a healthy baby, like the Gerber Food Baby, and I believe they were right back then, certainly people seemed smarted. All they want now is more over everything even if it means leaving kids home alone.

Please address my post to you at the top of this page.

A fat baby is NOT a healthy baby. I constantly see overweight people with overweight babies, and it makes me sad. These children dont have a chance. They are taught to over-consume at an early age and their biggest role-models, their parents, enforce this.

I dont care how many reports you throw at us, i can throw 10 times as many back at you showing just how unhealthy being overweight is. If its not diabetes, its heart issues. If its not heart issues, its knees buckling under the weight requiring operations.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDebunkMachine

Originally posted by rickymouse
Well, I think those scrawny twerps that call themselves in shape and complain about big people couldn't last a week hauling cement blocks. I could pick up and throw a hundred fifty lb person at least fifteen feet if I got pissed. Maybe us old overweight construction workers should start a new reality game of twerp tossing. We can see who can throw them the farthest.

There is a difference between you and the average fat person though. Construction workers spend hours each day doing heavy physical labour. Your average fat/overweight/obese person hardly ever lifts or does cardio, or if they do do extremely light labour and claim that its working out.

How do you know the average? Where is your proof of those numbers?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

reply to post by PrplHrt

Sorry, it's not a conspiracy.

If you are obese, than you are unhealthy. Period.

I don't think it should be a qualification for President, other than how will you encourage a nation of healthy eaters if you yourself are not healthy?

How can you start helping America get off the sugar dealer and on to proper consumption and excercise if you yourself do you expouse those beliefs?

~Tenth

As a healthcare worker I agree with your entire post. It's interesting that both morbid obesity and smoking were mentioned in this thread. Now, personally, I happen to believe that anything is ok in moderation. I think moderation is the key to living a balanced life. But unfortunately, there are a lot of people who can't regulate themselvs and end up in terrible extremes. I've had two cases just this past week of terrible examples of obesity and smoking in which each person clearly couldn't manage themselves or their health. I'm not going to go into great detail in either case but needless to say the person who was morbidly obese was so because quite simple his caloric intake is greater than his energy expenditures. No medical cause, no family history, no endocrine reason. When you're to the point that you haven't seen your genitalia in years and basic toileting is a major undertaking it's time to do something positive to improve your health. I'm not joking and I'm not being mean. The other person, despite severe respiratory problems which leave the person chronically hypoxic, cyanotic, and anemic, it's time to put the cigarettes down and take control of your life. How can someone expect anyone to care about them or take interest in their health when they are so reckless with their own health and well-being.

You know what? after a person has the facts, how about let them live as they please and die if they want too. We all die, why are so many people all upset if some die earlier then another? To many people anyway. Whats with all the people talking about getting everyone to live longer.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

reply to post by PrplHrt

Aren't we a little too quick to stick the word 'prejudice' to everything? If an obese man dropped dead in front of me I would still administer CPR. If I witnessed an obese woman crying it would make me sad. If an obese person won the lottery I would be happy for them.

But, that doesn't mean that I don't notice the fat. I can't help it, I'm human. Just today I saw an obese girl riding a bike and I was disgusted by the fact that that bicycle seat was nowhere in site. I've seen obese people eating in restaurants and I could almost hear the fat bubbling under their skin.

Are these thoughts shallow? Maybe. But, this is what we humans do. We judge people by their looks. And it's not just 'US' looking at 'THEM' because I have never heard an obese person say, "I love my fat'.

You and I think as different as Day and Night. I would have loved seeing the "obese' girl ridding a bike and gave her a thumbs up for getting out there and exercising...surely harder for her then for me.

I don't judge people by looks as we are being trained by the rich sellers and industry to do because that would make me feel really stupid.

if there ever is a new Heaven and New earth I sure hope all the people who care so much about another persons body and face and cloths instead of their heart and soul are not there.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
An interesting and timely topic.

I was recently subject to a couple of serious bouts of "prejudice against the fat".

I piled on the weight after I stopped smoking - replaced cigarettes with snacks. To make matters worse, I'm a writer so I spend 95% of my working hours sitting on my ass at this very keyboard. Then there's some residual depression arising from a failed marriage, as well as a caffeine addiction. Root causes - not excuses. I need to lose probably 15kg (approx. 35lbs) to get back to my normal healthy weight.

But guess what? Mirrors lie. That's right - I look in the bathroom mirror every morning when I'm shaving and I don't see some obese, overindulgent fatbody... I see someone who "could probably lose a couple of kilos" but is visually socially acceptable.

Family, partners and friends often will not say anything about your ballooning waistline because they don't want to hurt you. That's why feedback from prejudiced strangers is so damned important. For some reason, fat people are wired wrong when it comes to how we think we look. Personally, I'd rather look in the mirror and see some slovenly, disgusting pig - at least then it doesn't take the shame of public humiliation before you'll do something about it.

Prejudice against the fat is not nice, it hurts. But it's useful as a motivator.

Despite wishing serious ill on the types of folks who feel they have the right to insult a stranger based solely upon how they look (F*%$# you. If you're one of them I hope you suffer an injury and blow up like a balloon during the recovery period so someone can point and laugh at you) the insults have been useful in my particular situation.

If you've suffered these sorts of insults due to your fatness, use the anger and hurt to work on your health and fitness.

Here's what's been working for me these past couple of weeks -

Step 1. Take a photo of yourself - full body and naked or wearing only your underwear. Mirrors may lie, but photos don't. This photo is your prime motivator.

Step 2. Take an inventory of what you eat on a normal day. Sometimes you aren't actually aware that you're eating so much because it's done on autopilot.

Step 3. If you're a caffeine addict, cut down. Caffeine has been proven to mess with your cortisol levels which cause you to go into fat storage mode. Don't go cold turkey on caffeine - it's worse than going cold turkey on nicotine. Reduce and replace gradually or you'll suffer migraines and get depressed (see below). Remember, it's not just coffee that's packed with caffeine - chocolate, energy drinks, even green tea.

Step 4. If you're stressed or depressed, take extra time to do things you love and which make you happy. Stress and particularly depression, like caffeine, screw with your cortisol levels and cause you to go into fat storage mode.

Step 5. If you eat a lot (not all fatbodies do) then don't simply cut down your food intake since this will make your body think it's suffering from a famine and it'll go into fat storage mode. Instead, REPLACE little by little. As you replace the bad stuff like refined wheaty carbs and sugary snacks with healthier options, your appetite will decrease and you'll reduce the amount you eat naturally.

Step 6. Move around. Do physical activity. Get used to walking at minimum. Doesn't need to be 10km per day or anything like that, just go for a walk around the block in the evening or walk to or from work if you live close enough. We're developing a habit of getting active - as your weight decreases your activity can increase.

Wish me ill. The more irrational and pathological your hatred and disgust, the more it keeps me motivated.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I am not so sure we are getting the truth when it is said that past generations were thinner then now. When i was kid in the 50's the majority of the kids were chubby, it was called "cute" then, like Shirley temple.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Are you telling us that you've never been suddenly confronted by a severely deformed person and averted your eyes? You pass by a disheveled homeless guy mumbling to himself and you don't (instinctively) pretend he doesn't exist? If you answer that you've never done this, you are either an angel or a liar. It is human to be at least a bit apprehensive of that which falls out of our comfort zone.

The problem is comfort zones have been used as an excuse for hatred, biggotry, and intolerance throughout history. Hell, only a scant 30 years ago it was widely common and (by many) considered acceptable for these same reactions to be discussed in regards to minorities, the disabled, essentially anyone different from the "norm." That was what I was getting at. If it wouldn't be acceptable and you'd never consider vocalizing: "Those black people should be more white" then why in the blue hell is it acceptable to project: "Those fat people should be more thin?"

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Oh, please. Fat people are almost glorified and encouraged by this insane politically correct society but still like to act like they are victims. Here's a great picture showing exactly what I mean.

edit: big picture so you have to scroll to read the comments.

edit on 12-14-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Yes, all hail the god Vanity.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
reply to post by paradox

So humans in their natural active/healthy state is now considered vanity?

edit on 12-14-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Ireminisce

Yeah, that's why they elected Taft and McKinley.

And many others on the list who were not in perfect health, or were old for their day. Lincoln had many health problems, most were average men...white men...

Politicians in general are not known for being in great health and often over drink or use meds or drugs.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by PrplHrt

Oh please, it did not. It merely amplified qualities that were already there. Look at art of the past. How many idolized fat men do you see? Most of the men are well built and muscular. You have this vision of people that never was true.

What country do you live in?

TV decide what the people would want and that has been used to change standards over time. There was a time when every family wanted to be the Beavers and Dad have a cocktail when he walks in and Ma wear high heals to cook in...TV

Please take a look at the IDEAL man in the movies from the 30's, the 40's the 50's and watch the ideal man change. Today you would think the tough leading man hero a wimpy marshmallow...all because TV said so.

A woman thighs had to be fairly full look at the old movies and adds, now they want a straight thigh-less woman and everyone wants the same...all decided by someone who controls TV and fashion.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

reply to post by paradox

You're obviously referring to the lower picture. At least the top two understand the concept of clothing.

Unfortunately when she does practice the art of clothing, she makes the mistake of thinking that jogging pants are more fashionable than functional.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by smashdem

But that isn't good either, there has to be balance in life. You have to take care of your body as that's where you live you know. If you don't take care of it then your mind will suffer as well.

That is your opinion. There are many who have abused their body like Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi to a purpose and they did not lose their mind heart and soul.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join