It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prejudice Against the Fat

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Not sure about any sort of 'conspiracy against 'fat people'', But, after having watched the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show the other night, i not only believe but am also convinced there is a concerted effort, among those with the wealth, position and power to effect such, to ingrain in the minds of the public that 'health and beauty' are but mere skeletal bodies being paraded around a stage, scantily-clad in little more than 'fashionable' doilies.
with the majority qualifying as anorexic by most accepted medical standards. :shk:

put a little meat on them bones, gals.

Speak for yourself, those women are gorgeous. I do not find obesity to be attractive and it is unhealthy.

I firmly believe those who allow themselves to to be morbidly obese have very little self respect for themselves or those they love. Why wouldnt anyone want to be healthy and fit so they can enjoy a long, healthy life with those they love?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That's just the thing. People assume they do it on purpose. Example. I have an uncle who has a farm. He's around 6-2 , 350 pounds. He's a pretty big dude. He works hard all day. He's in excellent shape. Sometimes the horses get loose, you should see him go. But guess what. He hardly eats....for a guy of his size. I'm a little chubby too about 20 pounds over weight and I eat more than he does and I'm a graphic designer. By that logic my uncle should not have an once of fat on him but he does. His doc says it's a glandular thing but says not to worry since he's pretty active. On my mom's side I have a cousin that is huge. He's gotta be 150 over. But he's been on strict diet since I can remember. Ever since we were kids really. He exercises every day to keep his cardio up other wise he get's tired just thinking about taking a walk. He doesn't cheat and pretty determined to loose it all. But I don't think there's anything he can do about it. He's been huge all his life and no matter what he does he can't take it off. It's a shame really. He's a software designer by the way.

I'm pretty sure being president isn't that hard. People give them way too much credit.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanssuperman

Originally posted by antonia

The problem is people are not always unfit if overweight but we are taught that such persons must be unft and lazy. There are even professional athletes that are not thin.

Pretty sure we're not talking about "thin". We're talking about maintaining a healthy body weight for your age, height, & gender.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

Actually, no, we are not. "Helthy" has zero to do with this, image has everything to do with it. What is killing Americans, causing diabetes, and causing heart issues is the fact that the American diet is full of chemicals, crap, and un-nourishing "foods". Look at Europe, especially rural Europe. You've got a lot of people in France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Australia and New Zealand if you wish to go outside Europe, etc who are obese. These nations PALE in comparison to the US in terms of diabetes...
www.nationmaster.com...
www.nationmaster.com...

Imagine that, fat people who aren't unhealthy. Hmmm... seems like the problem (as is so often the case in this crappy country) may be getting blamed on the wrong cause to protect the bottom line. Americans are dying not of obesity related illness only because the chemicals we intake via the corporate American diet of complete garbage "foods" lead to fat forming in and around the vascular system and then the chemicals concentrate in the rest of the body's fat cells. Obese Americans are walking chemistry experiments whereas obese Europeans are merely overnourished. But don't lose hope, healthy obese Europeans! The globalists are importing America's garbage laden "food" into your countries, too. Soon your obese will also be dying a bit quicker than your standard weighted population is, so your countries can also blame the eaters for the problem while McDonalds, Coke, and Frito-Lay fleece your money with their Monsanto toxins.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr
Speak for yourself, those women are gorgeous. I do not find obesity to be attractive and it is unhealthy.

A bit of self disclosure, I really appreciated this attitude during my single years before I got married. Less rats, more cheese, IMO. Blame my German heritage or my Southern roots, but real women have curves. I have always questioned what drives men who find women built like a 12 year old boy attractive and shun a woman with an hourglass figure. To each their own, I guess...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Now that is one of the most real things I have heard here on ATS in a while. What kind of women are we creating in this country. You have to be worried about breaking them if you hold their hand.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Very well said.
I have a couple of friends that like skin and bones too. We get in friendly arguments sometimes about it. It's hilarious.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Weight has a lot less to do with health than people think. When a person can't process energy right and the fat is full of toxins than it is bad. A healthy liver is necessary for good health as is moderate exercise.

The new trend is to work at a job where you do nothing then spend hours afterwards exercising at a place where you pay to get exercise. I may be old fashioned but I think you should get paid to exercise.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

We used to get paid for exercise. It was called manual labor.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

A bit of self disclosure, I really appreciated this attitude during my single years before I got married. Less rats, more cheese, IMO. Blame my German heritage or my Southern roots, but real women have curves. I have always questioned what drives men who find women built like a 12 year old boy attractive and shun a woman with an hourglass figure. To each their own, I guess...

I dont view a shapeless mass of flesh as "hourglass". To me, a fat woman looks a lot more like a fat man. A thin, healthy woman looks nothing like a thin, healthy man.
edit on 14-12-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

...and again, America's complete lack of understanding of moderates and middle ground rears it's ugly head. This isn't a zero sum game, my friend. Do you realize that by today's standard, Jayne Mansfield would be considered overweight? Christina Aguilara is right now mocked frequently for being "fat" Holy God allow me to repeat that, Christina Aguilara

FAT!?!?!?

Does that look like a shapeless mass to you?

And aside from that, let's go down the extreme road for a moment. Which is more comfortable and enjoyable, hugging a broomstick or hugging a pillow? Like I said before, 12 years ago I appreciated the attitude and wished more men felt the way you do today. The ladies I dated looked like a million bucks, knew how to have fun, and didn't have a laundry list of mental issues brought about by splurging on an ice cream cone or going on a date rather than hitting the gym,

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I dont view a shapeless mass of flesh as "hourglass". To me, a fat woman looks a lot more like a fat man. A thin, healthy woman looks nothing like a thin, healthy man.

He wasn't talking about obese women. He was comparing the classical female "hour-glass" figure with the current quasi or actual bulimic trend in female supermodels who are supposed to represent the "ideal".

I personally prefer the hour-glass figure.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

That's just the thing. People assume they do it on purpose. Example. I have an uncle who has a farm. He's around 6-2 , 350 pounds. He's a pretty big dude. He works hard all day. He's in excellent shape. Sometimes the horses get loose, you should see him go. But guess what. He hardly eats....for a guy of his size. I'm a little chubby too about 20 pounds over weight and I eat more than he does and I'm a graphic designer. By that logic my uncle should not have an once of fat on him but he does. His doc says it's a glandular thing but says not to worry since he's pretty active. On my mom's side I have a cousin that is huge. He's gotta be 150 over. But he's been on strict diet since I can remember. Ever since we were kids really. He exercises every day to keep his cardio up other wise he get's tired just thinking about taking a walk. He doesn't cheat and pretty determined to loose it all. But I don't think there's anything he can do about it. He's been huge all his life and no matter what he does he can't take it off. It's a shame really. He's a software designer by the way.

I'm pretty sure being president isn't that hard. People give them way too much credit.

Some people have hormonal problems, like possibly your uncle. The majority of fatties are just pieces of # that can't stop eating.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

...and again, America's complete lack of understanding of moderates and middle ground rears it's ugly head. This isn't a zero sum game, my friend. Do you realize that by today's standard, Jayne Mansfield would be considered overweight? Christina Aguilara is right now mocked frequently for being "fat" Holy God allow me to repeat that, Christina Aguilara

Not sure why your getting that i thought Xtina was fat. When i first posted, i was posting against morbid obesity. Why are you assuming i thought Xtina was morbidly obese? She is a hottie, just like the Victoria Secret models. And damn can she sing!

FAT!?!?!?

Again, i never said she was fat. Like putting words in peoples mouths?

Does that look like a shapeless mass to you?

See my comment above.

And aside from that, let's go down the extreme road for a moment. Which is more comfortable and enjoyable, hugging a broomstick or hugging a pillow?

If i want to hug a pillow, ill hug a pillow. Im not saying one is more comfortable than the other, but a morbidly obese woman is NOT attractive to me, and they will die much earlier than someone who isnt. I dont want to be romantically linked to someone that looks like they could eat me and go back for desert. I love petite women, you dont. Why do you have a problem with that? I simply told a poster "to each his own", you dont like Vic Secret models, i do. Prejudiced against the thin much, are we?

Like I said before, 12 years ago I appreciated the attitude and wished more men felt the way you do today. The ladies I dated looked like a million bucks, knew how to have fun, and didn't have a laundry list of mental issues brought about by splurging on an ice cream cone or going on a date rather than hitting the gym,

More men do think my way. Thats why Vic Secret models are the feminine ideal today. If they were not, you would see much larger women doing these photoshoots. Some do, but its a very small niche market.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanssuperman

Originally posted by antonia

The problem is people are not always unfit if overweight but we are taught that such persons must be unft and lazy. There are even professional athletes that are not thin.

Pretty sure we're not talking about "thin". We're talking about maintaining a healthy body weight for your age, height, & gender.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

There have been many of these studies over the years and they all say...

Both major parties have made significant efforts to snag female votes come November 6th, but this is may be the first to suggest so explicitly that women vote for the prettiest face on the ballot.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by strato

What?
I laugh at your comment. Just by the way you talk I know who the piece of ** is. Don't talk to me.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by strato

Originally posted by XLR8R

Some people have hormonal problems, like possibly your uncle. The majority of fatties are just pieces of # that can't stop eating.

So you have met the majority of "fatties" and know all about them and their life's? Sounds like someone is telling fibs to me.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

Whoever calls the overweight 'fat' is being very prejudice themselves.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by PrplHrt

Sorry, it's not a conspiracy.

If you are obese, than you are unhealthy. Period.

I don't think it should be a qualification for President, other than how will you encourage a nation of healthy eaters if you yourself are not healthy?

How can you start helping America get off the sugar dealer and on to proper consumption and excercise if you yourself do you expouse those beliefs?

~Tenth

I am sorry but science says you are totally wrong.

Many many studies say otherwise. if this is what you are going by look again!

Often, a visit to the doctor’s office starts with a weigh-in. But is a person’s weight really a reliable indicator of overall health?

Increasingly, medical research is showing that it isn’t. Despite concerns about an obesity epidemic, there is growing evidence that our obsession about weight as a primary measure of health may be misguided.

Last week a report in The Archives of Internal Medicine compared weight and cardiovascular risk factors among a representative sample of more than 5,400 adults. The data suggest that half of overweight people and one-third of obese people are “metabolically healthy.” That means that despite their excess pounds, many overweight and obese adults have healthy levels of “good” cholesterol, blood pressure, blood glucose and other risks for heart disease.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by PrplHrt

I certainly think he is competent but I am only pointing out a certain school of thought. Do you think that an average overweight person is as motivated, diligent, and dedicated as the average fit person?

There is NO AVERAGE overweight person, anyone can be overweight at any point in their life and often are.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
Our shining example of health:

www.surgeongeneral.gov...

I go through dozens of charts a day. Nearly all of them have obesity or morbid obesity as one of the diagnosis. The others usually are diabetes and all that goes with it: perepheral neuropathy, kidney disease, vision problems... the list goes on. The number one reason in the US for amputations is diabetes. Type ll Diabetes is preventable, and if you have it, curable by losing weight, stopping eating crap and start moving (weightlifting or otherwise doing heavy lifting).

As a see obese patients, it breaks my heart. So much suffering... and it's preventable. And billions of $ could be saved as well. And make no mistake: we ALL pay for obesity through higher premiums

But go ahead. Defend it.

Oh, and thanks for the job security.
edit on 13-12-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

Lol, my youngest sister is considered "perfect" in body. She lives on chips and candy, I doubt she has ever cooked a healthy meal. But know one would care whether she is healthy...she is blond, blue eyed and has a great figure...that is all people care about you as individuals today!

Some how you are missing all the new studies that show life span and death by disease does NOT correlate to obesity numbers.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join