It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prejudice Against the Fat

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by chasingbrahman

I don't know how old you are but it existed on this planet and in this society. It existed at a time when minding your neighbours business was considered rude.

Of course that was before the UN partnered up with Big Pharma to identify health issues (for which Big Pharma coincidently had the "cure").

It existed before the UN jigged the measurement of obesity by changing the BMI (pre-1998).

www.washingtonpost.com...

That was the same day that 29 million Americans became "overwieght" and unfit.

It existed before the words "premature death" came into common usage. Baby Boomers who were predicted to die at about age 66 when they were born but not live into their 70s and 80s. However, if they smoke, or are overwieght - they are described as having died a "premature death"

It existed before NGOs discovered that there was billions of dollars to be made in denormalizing large sections of the population and before governments learned that discrimination would bring them extra tax dollars and reason to intrude on the rights of private citizens.

Tired of Control Freaks

During what era were people categorically judged by their contribution to society? I'm really curious about this. Perhaps I'm too young, naive and inexperienced to understand these matters.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

Well, Humanity has a lot worse qualities to be a ashamed of. I guess since I don't have anything invested in Christie I just take it as it is. I will say this, if he was a woman he would never have even gotten in office. It's a lot harder socially for women to be overweight than it is for men.

Christie can fix it if he wants to. I did once, I'll do it again. Heck my father did and he's got a thyroid condition and diabetes. People in far worse situations have done it. It's not really hard to do physically, it's more diffcult mentally to just stick it out even when you do get a bit "hungry" in your mind.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Some people are also against a president being too old. When it comes to the POTUS many people want him or her to be a vision of perfect health. Through out history people have chosen physically strong leaders. It's human nature.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ireminisce

Yeah, that's why they elected Taft and McKinley.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by micmerci
Some people feel that if one cannot manage their waistline how could they manage something more difficult. Is it a fair assumption? I don't really know. If we are being honest, maybe overweight people are not the most motivated.
Or maybe, he has a thyroid issue? Or maybe he is genetically predisposed to have a slower metabolism? Maybe you shouldn't ASSume so readily?

Or it could be glandular. Their glands are stuffed with pizza.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by UnBreakable

There's a special place in the hard drive for antagonists. It's a bad sector. The data never leaves.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
reply to post by Ireminisce

Yeah, that's why they elected Taft and McKinley.

I said many people. Not all. This thread is addressing a specific group of people based on what they feel is important in a president. The majority obviously felt different about Taft and Mckinley.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
If he's too big for two Secret Service members to pick him up and haul him away after an incident, he's too big to be President.

The strain put upon politicians by the public takes ten years off of someone's life in only four years. Presidents, and vice presidents, go grey, wrinkled, cold, tired, and they have heart problems all the time. Just count the ones who are having problems right at this moment, who weigh less than this governor. Health matters and weight is an indicator of health.

There is also the global public image. Ever heard the phrase "fat American"? That's the major thing he would be known for if he were president. Imagine the global fat jokes.

I'm not going to vote someone in to fail.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon

S H A L L O W

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

They were elected before there was a thing called TV. You can't think to compare that time to this one.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Television destroyed civilization.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

Oh please, it did not. It merely amplified qualities that were already there. Look at art of the past. How many idolized fat men do you see? Most of the men are well built and muscular. You have this vision of people that never was true.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
If you are a smoker it's ok today be looked down on and people will always remind you how you expose them to a disgusting sight etc....

If you are fat then you're also willingly unhealthy and expose people to a disgusting sight and yet it's ok.

The disingenous hypocrisy is amazing.
You get a tiny percentage of people who congenitally have trouble losing weight. Who from birth, have a hard time to lose weight due to genetic factors and glandular issues, and it turns into millions of people feeling that they too must remain fat because they it's too hard to lose weight. Situps are work and there is no magic pill, so everyone should remain silent about their unhealthy, gross lifestyle.

Im not buying it. Obesity is akin to smoking. The individual is making a choice to be unhealthy and force everyone around them to look at it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
I am an obese woman and I didn't get this way overnight.
I would just once like to be seen as the person I am,not
the dress size I wear.
whiners disgust me. no one can lower your self respect but yourself, so if you are a good person then why should the views of others bother you??

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well, at least I can identify the humans here.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
Well, at least I can identify the humans here.
use your logical fellacies on mentally weak,ultrasensible and emotional nutjobs as they will fall for cheap shaming tactics.
and one thing more, nobody gives a damn of what you think of them.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by deepankarm

You aren't worth it.
edit on 12/14/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I am pretty sure the classifications are a bunch of BS, but, if your weight(not just overweight) is causing you health or mobility issues, it is obviously a problem. And you should want to fix it, why would people not want to physically feel better and be healthier?
To me, I dont care if someone who is fat is in a position of power. Maybe then they would spend more time in the books, papers, meetings and never be out exercising?

edit on 14-12-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by smashdem

But that isn't good either, there has to be balance in life. You have to take care of your body as that's where you live you know. If you don't take care of it then your mind will suffer as well.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

They came for the potheads, and I didn't say anything because I wasn't a pothead.
They came for the smokers, and I didn't say anything because I wasn't a smoker.
They came for the drinkers and I didn't say anything because I wasn't a drinker.
Now they are coming for the overweight; will anybody stand?

Unless you're too fat to stand.

I unconsciously am prejudiced against many many people for many different reasons.
In my DNA I guess.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join