It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prejudice Against the Fat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I don't question Christie's brain, but the fact is that he is morbidly obese. The health problems associated with this will shorten his life. That's a medical fact. Statistically, he's flirting with death. Diabetes, heart issues, circulatory issues are all in his future, and he'll never see the average lifespan of 78.

Although once in awhile obesity is the result of a glandular malfunction, the fact is that usually it's a matter of choice and diet. it's preventable. And yes, some people are more prone to "get fat" than others. That doesn't mean it's not preventable. Eat less and you'll get thinner--guaranteed.

The real issue here is that when we talk about "equality" and "civil rights," the term was originally meant to be used for traits over which you have no control. Ethnicity is obvious as is one's sex. You personally have no control over that. Why should you be discriminated against if you are one race or another?

And so then we extended that to such things as religion or national origin. If you are a member of a certain religion, is that your fault? Didn't you get born into it? Is a Jew responsible for being a Jew? Is a Catholic responsible for being born into a Catholic family? Isn't that kind of an ethnic identity? The same for an Irishman. These groups have been discriminated against in the past. We now find this illegal.

Now we get into matters of choice. Of course the BIG one is homosexuality. It is politically correct to insist that homsexuals are born that way, but this is far from scientifically proven and there is a VAST amount of evidence that social pressures contribute to this issue or even cause it--it's just that you can't SAY that these days without risking your job. It's kind of like Global Warming. That it is caused by humans is very much open to question, but try getting a grant to study the opposite. It won't happen because the establishment has made up its mind and ignores contrary evidence. Even though Al Gore got his graph backwards: Global warming causes an outflux of CO2 a thousand years later, not the opposite. people, even here, have drunk the Kool Aid on this issue. They won't listen.

Then we have the transgender "community." Amazing. Medical science has advanced so far that if you want to, you can carve off your manly parts and call yourself a woman, or stitch on an extra piece on and call yourself a man. Inject yourself with some hormones and voila! new sex! Of course, genetically you syill have the X chromosome, or don't, but technology allows you to pretend you are something you are not, and to say "that's kind of strange" invites charges of discrimination.

Take this a bit further. There's no reason to stop with minor surgery. Think of the future when medical science can turn you into anything you want. Will the manimals on the island of Dr. Moreau scream "discrimination"?

So now here's the claim that there's a "conspiracy" against the fat. A conspiracy? Really? More like the fat have a conspiracy against the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Not sure about any sort of 'conspiracy against 'fat people'', But, after having watched the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show the other night, i not only believe but am also convinced there is a concerted effort, among those with the wealth, position and power to effect such, to ingrain in the minds of the public that 'health and beauty' are but mere skeletal bodies being paraded around a stage, scantily-clad in little more than 'fashionable' doilies.
with the majority qualifying as anorexic by most accepted medical standards. :shk:

put a little meat on them bones, gals.

edit on 12/13/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

And, again, Chris Christie has a proven track record of competence in government.

Just because you are fat does not mean you are incompetent or lazy or stupid or lack motivation.

This is just ridiculous. LUDICROUS.

Taft was fat. He still managed to fulfill his duties as president.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Jeez. Nothing wrong with being fat, your just fat. That's it, more of you. Here are a few articles for those that believe fat is bad for your health SURPRISE: New Study Finds That Being Fat Does Not Make You More Likely to Die and Study: It’s OK to Be Fat.

What does this tell us? No one really knows if being fat will kill you. Ha!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
meh... here in asia being fat is a sign that a person is rich ....

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Hey, thanks for responding to me reply! You made me feel like what I said actually mattered. Thanks

*commence vanity*

-Ghoster
edit on Thu Dec 13 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Yes - it is, in fact, a deliberate plan

assets.aarp.org...

www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com...

www.freepatentsonline.com...

www.nytimes.com...

In order for this plan to work, it will be necessary to first turn the public against the obese. This is done by promoting information about how much the obese cost in terms of health care.

www.foodpolitics.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

And that obesity is not just something that affects the individual but is actually catching:

www.steadyhealth.com...

www.breakingnewsenglish.com...

These "information" campaigns are called "framing the issue". It encourages society to shun the obese and to feel morally superior to the obese. This sense of moral superiority gives license to people to harass fat people about their wieght and shame them into conformance.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Is making people fat secretly dumbing people down? Iv heard fat people are less intelligent than skinny or fit people.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Don't know how true this is, but where better to ask the question than in this Thread.

By the way I mean no offence I know people who are over weight(its hard not to living in the uk or america I suppose) and to me they don't seam no dumber than skinny or fit people. Saying that I do live in one of the worst council estates in one of England's worst Cities so pretty much everyone I know is kind of dumb.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Some people feel that if one cannot manage their waistline how could they manage something more difficult. Is it a fair assumption? I don't really know. If we are being honest, maybe overweight people are not the most motivated.

i can vouch for that as i was just under 30 stone nearly 3 years ago
12 jan 2013 ,and i had no get up and go as it had got up and gone
ill be honest as thats my middle name i had a vertical gastric sleeve
three quarters of my stomach removed and in 13 months id lost 13 stone
i have to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day the only way to lose weight
without surgery .
and i have spent 5 days a week in the gym so you get a healthy mind as well

my self esteem was as low as a snakes belly ,but thats a different story now
i never left the house at one point for years

and i have been lucky as i dont have much loose skin

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

As for it being my business, no it's not really my business what people choose to put in their bodies, but they can't turn around and cry foul when I tell them what they are doing is wrong.

Being Obese, isn't ok. If it was then babies would be born Obese, but they aren't. They are born usually with healthy weights, or under weight.

In ANY case, I pay more taxes in Canada, because my neighbor down the street wants to stuff his face fulll of twinkies everyday and end up with cardio vascular disease and diabetes by age 22.

In any case, to go back to the topic, Christie is plenty qualified to be Presient, I even like some of his policies and ideas.

But i'm going to call him a hypocrite if he does become President and starts talking about making the nation healthy.

~Tenth
edit on 12/13/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Does anyone have an example of a condition that isn't publicly or privately ridiculed, but is also evidence of a person's inability to control their impulses?

We ridicule people for not being able to stop themselves from drinking too much. We ridicule people for not being able to control their appetite for drugs. We ridicule people for not being able to quit smoking. When a person can't control their behavior, it's either compulsive, criminal, or both. And compulsive behaviors, by their very nature, threaten equilibrium within a person. From the perspective of a society's drive to comfortably sustain itself, it's actually quite natural to shun those who suffer at the hands of their own lack of self-control. I'm not saying it's right, but you've got a heck of a battle on your hands when it comes to suffocating natural behaviors.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It is wrong to discriminate against fat/alcoholic/ugly/handicapped/smokers/short/other people.
edit on 12/13/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

That's a good point. I guess I'm absolutely, positively sick and tired of people staring at and judging my best friend for being fat.

I don't think the condition would matter. I'd still be pissed.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
***ATTENTION PLEASE***

The topic of this thread is

Prejudice Against the Fat

Please refrain from personal attacks and stay on topic
Any more personal insults will result in post bans

Thank you,

DaveSpanners
ATS Moderator

Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.
ATS Terms & Conditions
YOU are responsible for your own posts.
ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.
Go after the ball not the player.
How Not To Be Banned From ATS...Or, A Word About Politeness.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

I'm sorry to say OP, but as a former fatty, fat people disgust me and make me feel really sad all at the same time. I've never been a proper super-sized fatty, but when I reached 18 stone I realised that I was destroying both my quality of life and stressing out my whole family. It took me a wee while to loose the weight (and I have put a little back on lately because I've started having a few beers socially as it is that time of year) but generally I feel much better than I did back then.

People have asked me how I managed to loose so much weight and my answer is always the same...STOP EATING FOR THE SAKE OF EATING! It's not rocket science and with a little willpower anyone can achieve a healthier weight.

Fatty's need to stop making excuses for why they're so fat, grow up and take responsibility for what they do to themselves. Pandering to them just makes things worse in the long run...or at least that's how it worked for me.

Rev

edit on 13/12/2012 by revmoofoo because: ETA

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Personally, I think that being against fat people and being against BEING FAT are two very different things. Yet in today's world it's become the "in" thing to equate them as the same.

Yes, I do not think flab rolls hanging out from underneath a tight, short t-shirt are attractive. Yes, I do not think that there is such a thing as being a "healthy fat," as many overweight people like to insist. I feel that I have the right to have my own opinion, just as they do theirs.

That said, this doesn't mean that I would EVER discriminate against someone, i.e. not hire them for a job or not be their friend, on the basis of extra poundage. It is simply not what I personally approve of, in precisely the same way that I'm not a smoker, I hate the smell of smoke, and I think it's unhealthy and a waste of money. But, if someone does it, they do it. I know that no one is perfect, including myself, and if I'm looking for people who are, I'll be standing alone!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
For the last time, I'm am emphasizing with the person within the person.

Goodbye.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

When it comes to natural behaviors and shunning - people are normally judged by their contribution to society. What kind of spouse they are, what kind of parent, is this a person who can be counted on, What kind of job do they have.

In the case of pot smokers, smokers, the obese, drinkers etc. it is a matter of someone coming up with a plan to IMPOSE a different and unnatural set of standards on society using propaganda.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt

That's a good point. I guess I'm absolutely, positively sick and tired of people staring at and judging my best friend for being fat.

I don't think the condition would matter. I'd still be pissed.

I understand. Dehumanizing is dehumanizing, no matter the goal. I've had this battle my entire life, and though my luck may run out from outpacing it so far, it makes me both more and less understanding of the condition.

But if anyone thinks that shunning someone for being fat will somehow eclipse that fat person's sense of shame and worthlessness, they need to find another hobby.

You want to change a fat person's life? Think of how disgusted and whatever you feel right before you make a fat-person joke. Now, take that sense of disgust, and multiply it by a thousand. That's how most fat people feel about themselves.

So congrats. You just agreed with someone about their own depression, shame and worthlessness. Fatastic.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join