It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prejudice Against the Fat

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Barbara Walters thinks Chris Christie is too fat to be president

There is a concerted effort by a specific segment of society to isolate and harass another segment of society based solely on their weight.

Chris Christie has been a high profile victim of this harassment. In her interview with him, Barbara Walters raised an issue completely irelevant to his ability to govern this country should Christie decide to run for the presidency in 2016 - his weight.

Christie's excess poundage has absolutely nothing to do with his fitness to run the United States. It doesn't hinder his ability to make command decisions or to move about the city, state or country he is in.

My best friend is overweight, FAT. My BF is also brilliant, funny, trustworthy and rich. Weight is irrelevant.

In my eyes, fat people rule. They are fighters despite what people think and say about them.
edit on 12/13/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/13/2012 by PrplHrt because: Edited the thread title

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Some people feel that if one cannot manage their waistline how could they manage something more difficult. Is it a fair assumption? I don't really know. If we are being honest, maybe overweight people are not the most motivated.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Christie is the governor of a state. Do you consider him incompetent?

My best friend didn't get rich by accident.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

You are absolutely correct. There is a certain segment of society that has developed a plan to harras, shame, segregate, deny jobs and deny housing to the obese. The plan includes taxation of foods considered undesirable and information campaigns by NGO's

Simply google the words "tobacco control tactics applied to reduce obesity"

As a smoker, all I can say is that nobody stood up for smokers and it is highly unlikely that smokers will stir themselves to help the obese (and drinkers)

Tired of Control Freaks

link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

I certainly think he is competent but I am only pointing out a certain school of thought. Do you think that an average overweight person is as motivated, diligent, and dedicated as the average fit person?

link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Some people feel that if one cannot manage their waistline how could they manage something more difficult. Is it a fair assumption? I don't really know. If we are being honest, maybe overweight people are not the most motivated.
Or maybe, he has a thyroid issue? Or maybe he is genetically predisposed to have a slower metabolism? Maybe you shouldn't ASSume so readily?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
A person using her media position to give her opinion concerning how a person should or should not live their life in public based upon her preconceived, and socially-encouraged standards, while ignoring other important factors to an individuals leadership capability, such as competence, experience and moral character---yes. A conspiracy against fat people? No. More like another individual being a judgmental controlling jack-wagon. On a side note---I do hope he considers losing weight forhealth reasons.

-Ghoster

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Did I say "I" feel this way? I mentioned it because it has been told to me. I am overweight. So maybe you should not ASSume I am the harasser instead of the harassed.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

They came for the potheads, and I didn't say anything because I wasn't a pothead.
They came for the smokers, and I didn't say anything because I wasn't a smoker.
They came for the drinkers and I didn't say anything because I wasn't a drinker.
Now they are coming for the overweight; will anybody stand?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The only way I could see it hindering his abilities as president, would be the intense travel schedules and great amounts of stress on someone whose heart probably isn't very healthy

But there's no reason to glorify being fat either, it just means you take in way more calories than you burn

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

I don't approve of the Tobacco Police either.

A few years ago I saw a man in public with a pipe in his teeth. When he saw me looking at him he whipped it out and into his pocket. I said to him, "You shouldn't give in to those people. I think it's great to see a guy with a pipe in public."

America is supposed to be about FREEDOM. Where is our FREEDOM?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by theghoster

The battle against fat people is waged daily everywhere. I see it constantly in the looks people give the fat at the store and the theater and the pharmacy.

It's disgusting and despicable.

con·spir·a·cy  /kənˈspirəsē/Noun
* A secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.
* The action of plotting or conspiring.

Synonyms plot - cabal - scheme - intrigue - collusion

What is extreme dieting and airbrushing and group harassment of the fat kid if not a conspiracy to harm?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

Sorry, it's not a conspiracy.

If you are obese, than you are unhealthy. Period.

I don't think it should be a qualification for President, other than how will you encourage a nation of healthy eaters if you yourself are not healthy?

How can you start helping America get off the sugar dealer and on to proper consumption and excercise if you yourself do you expouse those beliefs?

~Tenth

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Judgmental, aren't you? And what is your flaw? Can it be seen, or do you hide it under your skin or in your mind like the majority? Are you schizophrenic? Neurotic? Do you wear long sleeves to hide your eczema, or are you rotten in your soul?

No one is perfect including you.

Society is punishing the fat in a way it doesn't punish others and IT'S WRONG.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Our shining example of health:

www.surgeongeneral.gov...

I go through dozens of charts a day. Nearly all of them have obesity or morbid obesity as one of the diagnosis. The others usually are diabetes and all that goes with it: perepheral neuropathy, kidney disease, vision problems... the list goes on. The number one reason in the US for amputations is diabetes. Type ll Diabetes is preventable, and if you have it, curable by losing weight, stopping eating crap and start moving (weightlifting or otherwise doing heavy lifting).

As a see obese patients, it breaks my heart. So much suffering... and it's preventable. And billions of $ could be saved as well. And make no mistake: we ALL pay for obesity through higher premiums

But go ahead. Defend it.

Oh, and thanks for the job security.
edit on 13-12-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
reply to post by theghoster

The battle against fat people is waged daily everywhere. I see it constantly in the looks people give the fat at the store and the theater and the pharmacy.

It's disgusting and despicable.

con·spir·a·cy  /kənˈspirəsē/Noun
* A secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.
* The action of plotting or conspiring.

Synonyms plot - cabal - scheme - intrigue - collusion

What is extreme dieting and airbrushing and group harassment of the fat kid if not a conspiracy to harm?

True, but no one is actively plotting against fat people. I think the term your more accurately looking for is prejudice. That to me, defines what is going on more accurately---conspiracy invokes ( at least to me) like some type of widespread planned action---though to be fare I could see why one would think that based on the medias attitude toward the "overweight".

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

I think if we are all honest, it is more often laziness and lack of self-control than thyroid and heredity traits that gets people into an obese state.
edit on 13-12-2012 by micmerci because: (no reason given)

ETA: And those are not two qualities that one looks for in a leader.
edit on 13-12-2012 by micmerci because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have a dream that little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the number on their scales, but by the content of their character.
-beezzer

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

Judgmental, aren't you? And what is your flaw? Can it be seen, or do you hide it under your skin or in your mind like the majority? Are you schizophrenic? Neurotic? Do you wear long sleeves to hide your eczema, or are you rotten in your soul?

You seem to be confused.

I haven't judged anybody. I actually stated clearly that I didn't think weight was a qualifying factor for President, so in that respect I agree with you. Please check your insults at the door.

What I was stating is that it is not WRONG to criticize the OBESE. As they are un-heatlhy by choice mostly. Not fat, OBESE, there is a difference, I can provide a google look up if you'd like.

No one is perfect including you.

Society is punishing the fat in a way it doesn't punish others and IT'S WRONG.

I don't know where I claimed to be perfect, you can show me that quote at some point. As far as society punishing the un-healthy, well of course they are. Did you know that the rate of obesity in the states is reaching 20%?

What do you think the ramifcations of that are?

It's very simple, it drives the cost of healthcare up and the quality of said care down. It promotes a lifestyle of over indulgance and un-healthy eating. It promotes over-consumerism.

It's in our best interest as a nation to be healthy. How can a President who is not healthy attempt to promote that among his citizens?

~Tenth

<<   2  3  4 >>

join