It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud cracking sounds, volcanic eruptions, ... ARE TECTONIC PLATES CRACKING ???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Sorry for the typos but English is not my native language.

I have been reading this topic > 7.4 cubic km of ice crashing into the ocean

and I got a weird feeling in stomach when something crossed my mind. I very much hope that I am wrong but what if ....???

We all hear loud bangs and cracking and ground is shaking. A lot of strong volcanoes are erupting, sinkholes all over the world,...

When I watched the above video I had a horrible flash..."What if tectonic plate or tectonic plates are cracking ???!!!"

When you watch the above video you can hear loud cracking and booms and there is only 7.4 cubic km of ice. Imagine how strong could that sounds be when we are talking about the Atlantic or Pacific tectonic plate ???

Is it possible that this could be the reason for so many volcano eruptions lately and strong EQ's and floods ??

I am not an expert on this field and I would like to hear what people are thinking when you put things this way ?

Is it possible at all for a tectonic plate to crack without a strong earthquake to be a trigger ??
edit on 13-12-2012 by LordDrakula because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well it is possible that the Tectronic plates could crack. Probability is the issue here. We really have no evidence in our history to know when or how they would crack. If it happens, we may have something to work with in the future. It could happen tomorrow or in a million years. I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LordDrakula

what is that black thing at the 2:02 mark? a big rock or a frozen whale?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It's my understanding that the tectonic plates are already 'fractured'/cracked and are constantly moving against/ into or away from one another.

Now... if one or two were to suddenly move, shift and 'break' as we see in the iceberg video ... there wouldn't be much to worry or fret over ... 't least not for a great number of years.

in other words, we'd be FUBARd

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Impressive video. S&F. I was up in Juneau Alaska in 74 and saw a piece of the glacier crack off and go into the bay. It sounded like roaring thunder. I could just imagine how it would be to see this in person.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
That plate in the Indian ocean seems to be getting a lot of attention for breaking up faster than orignially thoguh possible. But, that's not quite the same as completely breaking and cracking apart.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

The thing is that no one can explain what those cracking sounds and booms are and from where they are coming from. So there are two possibilities :

1.) They really don't know or

2.) They know and they don't want to cause panic

I don't know but more I think about it like this more probably it seems ...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

It is enough for the plate to crack on half and not to fall apart. Only a crack in the middle could cause a gigantic tsunami.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Hmmm.. interesting theory, but it don't look like the strange sounds line up where the plates collide ?

Plates

Reported Strange sounds

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
According to this picture this has happened before because one whole continent is missing in the Atlantic.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Thats where Atlantis was

nice rock that have the continent map
where its coming from ? first time i see it
the Atlantic ocean have been named for that reason .. because of Atlantis

about your theory of the tectonic plates cracking
i think you are into something
a big tree cracking up make the same loud boom/cracking sound

SNF
and thank you for linking the thread

edit on 12/13/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacespider

There is a line in the middle between North American plate and Eurasian plate. And now take a look at your second picture.....

Sounds on one site and the other site....

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Picture is from another thread > Stone Map of the World

But the thing is that if you read 20 different threads and somehow connect the dots than the whole picture is creepy.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider

Hmmm.. interesting theory, but it don't look like the strange sounds line up where the plates collide ?

Plates

Reported Strange sounds

There is a line in the middle between North American plate and Eurasian plate. And now take a look at your second picture.....

Sounds on one site and the other site....

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I have a question relating to tectonic plates... Is the Earth the only planet showing such features? I don't recall ever reading or hearing about tectonic plates on other planets of our system...

So it leads me to another thought... If Earth is the only planet showing tectonic plates, wouldn't it be an indication that Earth has been crossing, for a long time, a heavy object, with regularity?... Forcing it to always remain in a state of half-broken planet?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think there may be cracks in the middle of the plates anyway . Look at the New Madrid fault in the middle of the U.S. , I don't know if it goes all the way through the plate though .

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thudpuddy

I am just saying that if this sounds are indicator for that event than it's no wonder that no one knows noting about it because they don't want to cause panic. And there would be panic because only a little crack in the middle of the Atlantic ocean could mean a few hundred meters high tsunami on both ends of the plate.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
I have a question relating to tectonic plates... Is the Earth the only planet showing such features? I don't recall ever reading or hearing about tectonic plates on other planets of our system...

Not true

Here is the article > UCLA scientist discovers plate tectonics on Mars

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

That was a question... not a lie!!! lol

Thanks!

EDIT: After reading the article, my question is still valid. They say the plates on Mars are slow moving, and there would be only 2, and different ones than on Earth, with vertical motion... Which I would expect to see if Mars was affected from the same heavy object, but from a further distance.

No other planets have been reported having tectonic plates.

And the article is only a few months old... No wonder I had never heard of it BEFORE...

edit on 13-12-2012 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

All the way over here in The Mohave Desert, the last 5 nights...Constant, EPIC, unnerving, deep rumbles in the ground...And on a huge scale. It's more than likely NOT ordinance testing and we don't live near epicenters, r active volcanos. We're 40 miles from any train tracks and some parts of the "rumbling" could be described as a 200,000 ton train, rolling through "somewhere" at 200 miles an hour. It's a crazy sensation and bizarre sound. I grew up here (sorry, no real details) and I KNOW this is way out of place and an odd event. I wish I had more answers. Gubment, undergrind bullet train lol or sonic groans from Mama Earth, saying, "Screw you people"?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join