Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

We Have No Purpose, You Think You are Sooooo Special, Don't You?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Hi guys. Finally joined ATS today after years of observation. And I have some things to say. Apprently I have to comment on others before I get the platform. My moniker simply refers to the fact that, we are told by our scientific peers, we ALL derive from a small band of proto-humans in the Rift Valley in Africa. Now that may turn out to be BS, but it'll do for now and carries pretty much where I am coming from.

"2. Evolution is purposeless
Randomness is without reason. "

Evolution is far from purposeless. Evolution IS purpose and IS the meaning of life. Evolution is simply the universe growing. Humanity is, as far as our senses can tell, the most complex collaboration of matter we know of. (Although, like others, I suspect there are other sentient beings elsewhere in the universe).

There are many ways to express what I am talking about and here are a few: Collaboration, unity, co-operation, altruism, sharing, joining, attraction, mutual, brotherhood, God and dare I say, good old fashioned love.

Unless two cells once combined and worked together, there would be no humans.Now go back down a level of co-operation - unless molecules had the facility to make a different 'thing' by merging together - i.e. chemistry, life, as we arbitrarily label it, would not happen at all. Now down another level - if atoms of the so-called base elements didn't attract under certain peculiar machinations of the mathematical laws of the universe, then there would be no chemstry. And in recent years we find yet another level of individual 'things' (particles) making up the atoms, that attract for reasons yet unravelled. Quite how many levels there are, nobody knows.

The point is there is a pattern here. If there was just one element and the whole universe was filled with it, sparse and uniform, with no co-operation at the smallest level, then the big stuff doesn't happen.

Evolution is not just biological, it is driving the universes complexity. If you want to find your God, look no further. There are myths aboout man becoming God. No need, he already is it. As Carl Sagin said about mankind being the cutting edge of evolution, I think with particular reference to this mystcial trancendence of matter to pure thought - mankind is simply "....the universe contemplating itself".

The question that gets me. If little things makes one whole bigger thing, what does the following mean:

I consider myself a sentient, thinking, self-aware unit. Yet I am aware that now, aged forty-odd, I am literally made of a totally different set of cells, and therefore atoms, and therefore particles, than 20 years ago. My thoughts are fleeting but the sense of 'me' remains constant. I AM a thing, indivdual. Yet I am also a part of a large species of similar things. All milling about this planet in this particular set of X,Y,Z,t co-ordiantes of space time.

If evolution has so far collaborated to our level - is there another level above that we cannot see, for all the trees? We conject about the biological unit man having the wit to invent an AI like SkyLab that could eventually supercede us? Or is it possible that human society, our collective wit, like neurons of a brain, now all connected via the Interweb, itself becomes sentient and self-aware, an therefore a new level of evolution???? .The cells, (us) can come and go, but the society remains alive and awake and on a level we cannot even fathom?

This stuff fascinates me but I am a novice to sharing these thoughts. Anyone else who 'gets' this please recommend any literature you can point to that will satify my cravings please?!?!?!?

peace

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I'm glad you don't have children.
I don't even have to guess given what you've just written.
I hope this wasn't something your parents taught you.
Fact is we are whatever we want to believe ourselves to be.
Sure beats floating aimlessly like a turd in the bowl.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I think that way because I am soooo special. Your not of course. All of you are just a figment of my imagination in my dream. If I EVER wake up all of you will just disappear. Your existence is just because I am a good dreamer.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Do we have a purpose, or a reason to be alive ?

we all have a purpose.
for the universe to experience itself subjectively.
because... THAT'S what's actually happening.

take it a step deeper.. we all have within us the metamorphic ability to change from mortal human into little gods and goddesses... with divine, superhuman abilities... who's greater purpose is to save each other and help each other to create a world in which there is no suffering.

practice kundalini yoga and white tantra and you will see..

OR be a pessimist that thinks that humans have always known EVERYTHING and experienced EVERYTHING therefor you can make a dead end conclusion..

i mean if YOU'RE right in what you're saying.. then NOTHING matters.. and you're no better than the school shooting shooters... and might as well be one yourself because.. nothing matters and this is all just molecules bouncing around with zero purpose.

i spit on your arrogant assumations.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Hey OP the answers are always available, you just have to find them. You sound like you could use some help getting life perspective. So I will give you a link, make sure you don't let this information elude you by just skimming through it.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

According to your philosophy, the universe would have no purpose then. Ok, Sucks to be you. I think there is purpose. I refuse to equate humans and/or everything sentient in the universe as a "fart". What a ridiculous claim.

This is no different than the ultimate question. The chicken/Egg complex. or the, "Is the glass half full or half empty" question.

I won't bother to try to change your mind, there's no point in trying.... Like your universe with no point...... All I can say is, sucks to be you..

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Of course we have purpose, I am not religious, I am spiritual. Our purpose is to experience, to perceive, just like the purpose of our eyes is to see, our nose to smell. Our human body is an organic organ with functions designed specifically to perform certain tasks. Everything on Earth has purpose on Earth, not to mention the universe.
edit on 14-12-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Please don't be so sad!! Life is just hard!! But now and then we get to have moments of happiness!! I do think that everyone has a purpose in life. I use to know what mine was- Protect our Border, Stop Human Trafficking, and Create a Group of Federal Persons whom do nothing but look for Missing Persons. It took me 3 years to obtain the chance to make this happen. I was attacked and taken by something that I could not explain en-route to my duty station. This changed me view on religion and basically everything. Most people don't want to talk about other planets much less some other kind of life form.

Life didn't turn out like I had planned, but I still have the same objectives. Maybe a different path to take, but I haven't given up. Life is really rough in the US, and jobs are so hard to come by. I wake up each day and I am just thankful to be alive! Life is just a Journey- Try and Create what you want!! Don't Give Up!! This Earth is so Vast- Go outside tonight and just look up at the stars!! I wish you happiness!! Amy in NC

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
"We" -- what a powerful and potentially awesome concept..."we"

Just enjoy the ride -- don't puke on others; don't ruin it for them.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Nothing special.

Ball of dirt.

No destination.

No purpose.

Just enjoying the ride thanks.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RiftValleyKid

This stuff fascinates me but I am a novice to sharing these thoughts. Anyone else who 'gets' this please recommend any literature you can point to that will satify my cravings please?!?!?!?

Are you supporter of
The Evolution of Cooperation

I searched a few topics that relate to our discussion, check them out see what you think.

Wiki Randomness
Wiki Determinism
This book will give an interesting opposing view to Evolution.
Darwin' s Dangerous Idea

A star for the effort, it's tough trying explain a belief system.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Purpose

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I now have a purpose in life, not given by a god of course.
My purpose is to watch fight club for the first time.

From what I hear it does sound deep, which to me seems bizarre, how do you mix sweaty smelling locker rooms to deepness is beyond me?

Yep - good show.
That prehistoric cowboy hiding under my shadow wishes "Fight Club" (and its "solution") might come to pass.
But - alas - only prehistoric cowboys could get away with those kinds of things.

Back to the topic at hand, though -
The OP kinda dealt with the idea that we, as human beings (you & me, you or me, just you, just me...but, generally speaking - we, each) have some "special" purpose in the universe...
As was stated - that's pretty ego-centric... Gotta have a majestic ego to accept such a hypothesis.
The OP also proposed that "I'm special - and I am here for a reason" is a mantra that many need...so they can be happy.
This proposition does appear to hold some merit...as...many have responded with well wishes (and "go to hells") for the OP...as if to entirely agree that - "we (people) need to believe that we (people) are the epitome of existence"...and the only alternative is - depression, suicide and/or "pulling everyone-else down with you".
That really, however, doesn't address the question...
It is a good question -

If you weren't told that you are special ("you have a purpose")...would you have a need of being special?

I recall Zig Ziglar bringing up a point that - prior to a word being introduced to their language for "stuttering", there were no "stutterers" among Native Americans. (This was - of course, before the movie Little Big Man).
Just some thoughts on topic.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I'm glad you don't have children.
I don't even have to guess given what you've just written.
I hope this wasn't something your parents taught you.
Fact is we are whatever we want to believe ourselves to be.
Sure beats floating aimlessly like a turd in the bowl.

Are you talking to me, you're talking to me, t

Don't take the video personally, however to be glad someone doesn't have the gift of a family is downright rude, as a moderator I would expect better manners. I have suffered much sadness over this, thanks dude, I needed that, makes me feel really good, I am glad I am drinking right now, it's not as hurtful.

Floating aimlessly, no, well yes, but who are you to judge.

I took a screen shot of this post.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

From Solomons Wisdom;

3 But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God,
and no torment will ever touch them.
2 In the eyes of the foolish they seemed to have died,
and their departure was thought to be an affliction,
3 and their going from us to be their destruction;
but they are at peace.
4 For though in the sight of men they were punished,
their hope is full of immortality.
5 Having been disciplined a little, they will receive great good,
because God tested them and found them worthy of himself;
6 like gold in the furnace he tried them,
and like a sacrificial burnt offering he accepted them.
7 In the time of their visitation they will shine forth,
and will run like sparks through the stubble.
8 They will govern nations and rule over peoples,
and the Lord will reign over them for ever.
9 Those who trust in him will understand truth,
and the faithful will abide with him in love,
because grace and mercy are upon his elect,
and he watches over his holy ones.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by godlover25

Sorry dude, but if you are going to copy and paste bible quotes, I ain't gonna read it.

What was it that YOU wanted to say, I'll read that.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

The souls of the righteous are in Gods hands and the souls of the wicked are as well,

When people die, the godless folk say it's a tragedy and a loss,a complete destruction,

But to people who know the Truth, we know it's not a loss, but a blessing,

To the godless death is just emptiness, and the Spirit that inhabits you just goes "poof" and you cease to exist,

To people of Truth we know that you don't just go poof, you stand in front of the Maker and Master and your deeds follow you into eternity

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by godlover25

The souls of the righteous are in Gods hands and the souls of the wicked are as well,

If I have trouble believing in a god i am alright then.

When people die, the godless folk say it's a tragedy and a loss,a complete destruction,

I don't know what happens when we die, nobody does, not you, not me, or anyone else.

But to people who know the Truth, we know it's not a loss, but a blessing,

People hold differing truths

To the godless death is just emptiness, and the Spirit that inhabits you just goes "poof" and you cease to exist,

We don't really know that.

To people of Truth we know that you don't just go poof, you stand in front of the Maker and Master and your deeds follow you into eternity

I am not perfect, but I am not a bad person either,...and we don't really know if that happens.

I am agnostic by the way, which means even though I doubt the existence of a god, I don't really know that.
So that's my take.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)
edit on 17-12-2012 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I'm glad to see you are honest with yourself and don't claim omniscience (positive atheism is a claim to omniscience),

Do your best to love your neighbors and keep your heart open to God,

Try praying or reading the Bible, maybe God will speak to you.....

And some of us know an afterlife is there, some have had revelation directly from God Himself.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Do we have a purpose, or a reason to be alive ?
Are we individually an important part of gods devine plan?

Your main purpose of existence is to just exist.
Because to observe is to create.
Our main purpose of existence is to be co-creators with God.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join