It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Have No Purpose, You Think You are Sooooo Special, Don't You?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I AM AWESOME.

my purpose is to STAY AWESOME.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

one little part of my post...loland you are trying to bend it as if you were making an intelligent point...and it was not,but whatever i can see you the type that like to pick every little thing down...your one of those im so p.c. about everything i do types..so wasting time out of my life is futile here peace man hope your lousy dy/life/whatever gets better for ya

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Do we have a purpose, or a reason to be alive ?

Toadmund -
Why are we here? --- Because we're here --- Roll the Bones.
(~Rush)
IMO - We just don't know.
We can take whatever mounds of evidence (or, lack thereof) and construct a monumental thesis in honor of the fact that we...have finite information on the subject at hand...and are now certain of "the answer"...
--- And ---
...The odds may be in our favor (of being right)
...but...
I played "the odds" in Vegas
...and...
they don't mean a thing, when the die rolls the other way.
Maybe you're right
- Maybe you're almost right
- - Maybe you're wrong...
Might as well, just
... ... ...Roll the Bones.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Congratulations, guys. Here's a perfect opportunity to get someone thinking, "Hey, I can be something. I can do anything I want to. I can make a difference!" And everyone ruins it by arguing about religion.

Can't we, for just once, agree that everyone has something to offer? Can't we all get along, theist and atheist, with the belief that regardless of where we come from or where we're going, we are RIGHT HERE, and RIGHT NOW, and that's the perfect chance to make the world a better place?

We make purpose within ourselves. Let's do it together, yeah? Sounds like a swell plan to me. Two bulls are so busy butting heads over a patch of grass that they've forgotten there's a whole pasture over the hill.
edit on 13-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewThor7
I AM AWESOME.

my purpose is to STAY AWESOME.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

actually i can...but thanks for assuming you know me and my knowledge glad to know you and Sylvia Browne share the same powers...lol...The dead sea scrolls...sumerian text..that have been recovered from ancient tablets...proof that people of those time believed in something and had their accounts of what transpired to them documented....how is that not a sense of proof?where are you 2000 year old stone tabs or parchments talking about anything at all that has anything talking about this subject at all?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I have often contemplated the same subject.
On one hand I would have to agree with all your statements. I relation to the universe, we are of no apparent importance and time will surely get the best of all of us.

However, life is a very subjective experience, and there is such a thing as quality of life. So personally I think we might as well make the best of the time we have, and I don't think there is any need for religion to make it any more durable.
Since we can't know what the purpose of life is, or if there even is one, I would argue that it is a matter of choice.

Personally I would rationalize that the purpose of life is to collect data (knowledge) in order to create harmony. I think the interest of survival is in all of us, and obviously we are dependent on each other to develop. So - yeah... ehmm. That is what I have chosen to make my purpose in life. Getting smarter and helping others.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Onewhoknowsjesus

Your whole post rests on that one line though, you stated and set the stage that what you said was factual.
Tell me where do you get your facts that your whole post was based on?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund

Originally posted by Ben81
sad thinking

dont be sad you also have a purpose

but thinking the way you are .. is gonna keep you away from that purpose

You are not making sense, but then again you are.
You just told me with your statement that to believe you have a 'Universal' purpose is something you think to be happy.
Don't be sad, believe in made up ego stroking make-believe, then you'll be happy.

They key to happiness is to feed yourself BS!

You dont have a lot of wisdom in you for saying that up
having a purpose in life give you something more then not having at all
thinking you have no purpose make you a depressive person
that think negatively all the time because life has no purpose to you

you sound like an hardcore atheist that thinks there is no after life at all
and when you die its over .. so in your life whatever you do will be long gone when you die
making you do whatever you want .. its a free for all world with no consequences
because if there is no purpose in life then we are just a grain of sand in the universe
born and die and everybody life is worthless at the end

again its a sad thinking thinking you have no purpose
and to think what i say is BS proove my point
you lack of wisdom and positive energy a lot
hope somebody can make you change your mind of that

im not religious but spiritual .. you should find your own spirituality
then you will find that you also have a purpose

Good luck

edit on 12/13/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I thought we were put here to serve the Elite? That is what they used to teach us in school.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'll bet you think this thread is about you
Don't you? Don't you?

Perhaps we are just universal sensors which would give us purpose?

1. Energy can not be created nor destroyed. We require energy to live and once we die we have no energy, therefore we are energy.

2. All living things have one thing in common. That is our personal experience and individual knowledge. From an ant to Einstein , to plants and between identical twins we all have unique experiences.

I think that one thing (unique experience) is part of the key to understanding our purpose since all living things have it.

Therefore, I can imagine when we die our energy goes to this universal bin where we upload our personal knowledge and experiences. Who or what has access to this or what or how we use it I have no clue.

However, sometimes I think that when we leave our body and our energy transforms , we become part of the universal energy bank.Since we become part of the universal energy bin then I can see where we all share this knowledge.

In addition , sometimes I think when we live its the only time we become an individual with our own knowledge and thoughts. Perhaps our body is a Faraday cage that allows us to do this?

So our purpose is to report back or dump our individual unique knowledge into the universal bin or we are here on vacation to get some alone time?

One thing is for certain , our purpose and our knowledge of the afterlife is uncertain.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onewhoknowsjesus

actually i can...but thanks for assuming you know me

I don't know you, but I do know you are someone who claims they know Jesus.

The dead sea scrolls...sumerian text..that have been recovered from ancient tablets...proof that people of those time believed in something and had their accounts of what transpired to them documented....how is that not a sense of proof?

I'll quote Archie Bunker: Awwww Geeez!
The dead sea scrolls were beliefs written down, they were not written and hidden there by a god, they only proove that bad stuff happened, some good things and that something happened to make them think there is a god, that's where the Sumerians come in and that awesome show on TV called Ancient Aliens of which are posed theories of which I give serious thought since I read Zacharia Sitchen books so many years ago. There is more proof with that theory than there is proof of god.
You tell me, how do the dead sea scrolls prove that god is real?
Are there experiments or rituals written down in it that can make god appear?
I believe we are not alone, we were visited, and no I cannot prove that, but then again I have never seen a cave painting of god, but I have seen a UFO in 1989.
No cave paintings of god have ever been found.

Aliens? Or is this god?

where are you 2000 year old stone tabs or parchments talking about anything at all that has anything talking about this subject at all?

Because Ancient Atheists did not write scrolls or bibles, and if they did they would have been destroyed and the author probably stoned to death.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Wow, why do i feel the bitterness

Well. Maby we dont have a purpose, maby we do.
Perhaps were just a chemical cosmic brew, just waiting for the final ingredient.
Maby our purpose i divine, or not, if there even is one.

But thats not the point i believe. The point is that we have the need to have a purpose, and the need to feel special. A need of those feelings to be able to feel good. And in that sence we do have a purpose, wich is to work towards feeling good.
Our minds and bodys will tell us when we feel bad so that we will take steps towards feeling good, hence the purpose is to feel good.
Cheers

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
We all live in our own subjective universes, the world filtered through our brain, our perceptions of the world molded by past experience and genetics. I would argue that your purpose is to try and convince people on an internet forum they have no purpose. What's the end result ? Are you going to make people happy with such thoughts and insights ?

Some beliefs, even though they're obviously wrong bring happiness to people, so let them have them ! Even proclaiming we're all pointless, if it makes you feel good.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because: added a bit

I obviously exclude beliefs like - canabalism is fun !
edit on 13-12-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

How do you know I'm not being Awesome all at once on an infinite number of Universes?

What If I'm the guy who has to balance out our Galaxy as it merges with the rest of the Universe?

WHY U GOTTA SELL ME SO SHORT>????

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
individually we have no purpose other than mating and feeding. but as a whole thing of where our genetics and technology is going. We will eventually be god like. If we keep down this path there is nothing than can stop us from manipulating the universe to create life everywhere. genetically we will become smarter and our technology will become one with our physical bodies. We will become gods (what people portray as gods [power, massive lifespans] atleast) further down the river. So yes there is a purpose it is just not on an individual scale.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Life started as single cell organisms. Life evolved in order to adapt to the changing world. Mutations changed DNA, DNA changed certain species slowly, the species with mutations that made it hard for them to survive died out. Those whose mutations made it easier to survive and replicated passed on their DNA. Humans soon formed. Humans relied on each other to help get food, to fight invaders, etc. Soon, humans started showing emotion: love, lust, hate, anger, etc. Thought to stem from one universal primitive emotion, pleasure. Maybe those that caused pleasure caused more pleasure. Things that caused pain didn't really cause pain, it caused less pleasure. Throughout life we started understanding that one thing causes more pleasure, another thing doesn't. But because we are still a young species relative to the history of the rest of our planet there are still many things in the world we ourselves have little or no concept of. Somethings are just too hard to wrap our young minds around. Like the concept of infinity. We say, well there has to be some kind of end to the world. There has to be some kind of beginning to everything. Why? Who says there has to be some kind of beginning or end to anything? According to chemistry nothing is created or destroyed. It's the Conservation of Mass.

People have a hard time understanding these things because our time here on Earth is so limited. Because we have such a limited understanding of life, we have a limited understanding of everything that governs life. It causes pleasure inside of ourselves knowing that there is a reason to live. It causes a pleasure inside of ourselves knowing that there is a invisible being looking after us and waiting for us to receive eternal life. Life after life. Because if this is all there is, it wouldn't be rational to waste our life on nothing. Right? It gives us pleasure to believe so we believe. When in reality, it doesn't have to be just because we want it to be. It is just what it is, nothing more.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

dont be sad you also have a purpose

but thinking the way you are .. is gonna keep you away from that purpose

PEOPLE, it's not about being sad, or happy!
You do not believe in stuff because it makes you feel good, you believe in truth and real things.

You dont have a lot of wisdom in you for saying that up
having a purpose in life give you something more then not having at all
thinking you have no purpose make you a depressive person
that think negatively all the time because life has no purpose to you

I never claimed to have wisdom, not what my post is about, it's about a Universal purpose, not why you get out of bed in the morning. And it's not about feeling sad or glad

you sound like an hardcore atheist that thinks there is no after life at all
and when you die its over .. so in your life whatever you do will be long gone when you die
making you do whatever you want .. its a free for all world with no consequences

I am a hardcore agnostic leaning toward atheism, and I believe in consequences and am a moral person who does not need religion to be a decent member of the human race. (PS, god believes in killing, sacrifice, incest, slavery, you name it, is that where YOU get your morals?

because if there is no purpose in life then we are just a grain of sand in the universe
born and die and everybody life is worthless at the end

Quite possible, but you would hate to believe that, wouldn't you?

again its a sad thinking thinking you have no purpose
and to think what i say is BS proove my point
you lack of wisdom and positive energy a lot
hope somebody can make you change your mind of that

There are people here that would say the same thing about you, for believing in stuff unproven like it is fact.

Good luck

edit on 12/13/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewThor7

How do you know I'm not being Awesome all at once on an infinite number of Universes?

What If I'm the guy who has to balance out our Galaxy as it merges with the rest of the Universe?

WHY U GOTTA SELL ME SO SHORT>????

If true, which would be really awesome if it was, would be just incredibly awesome indeed.
I've always 'wished' that if the afterlife was true, it would be to infinitely explore the Universe in all it's awesomeness.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The OP has served a purpose with his/her post. It provoked thought. Therefore he has a purpose be it fleeting or life changing in it's context. His entire existence may have been to create this post to provoke thought in some that never would have thought about it. One reader may devote their entire lives to answering that question. So there, you have purpose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join