It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF, unable to make sense of their own laws, seeks help from the general public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
You cant make this stuff up:

Questions and Answers of the Month
ATF has received requests to exempt certain projectiles from regulation as "armor piercing ammunition".

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has received requests to exempt certain projectiles from regulation as "armor piercing ammunition" under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(B)(ii) of the Gun Control Act of 1968. In this regard, ATF is seeking public comments on specific projectiles or projectile cores which may be used in a handgun and which are constructed entirely from one or a combination of tungsten, alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium, copper, or depleted uranium, and whether these projectiles or projectile cores pose a threat to public safety and law enforcement, or are, "primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes" and therefore may be exempted from classification as "armor piercing ammunition."

In short "we dont know how the hell to apply or enforce this poorly crafted piece of legislative # so will you guys help us out? Or at least voice a popular enough opinion that mob rule approval will make up for us doing something incredibly stupid?"

ATF Question of the Month
edit on 13-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Well, it seems more like they are asking for public opinion on the matter. To see what kinds of ammo people are using and if their is a public consensus on what should be allowed. I don't think that's such a bad idea, they are supposed to work for the public after all...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

If they base how they enforce the law on what ammo the majority of responders are using doesnt that take all the force out of the law?

It becomes a suggestion rather than a regulation. So what does that do to all the other laws?

We'd have to start looking at all these people who have had their livelihoods destroyed or have been tossed into prison under the authority of popular suggestion or force of simple whim.

The ATF is loaded with nonsensical regulations that make steel wool into suppressors and shoe laces into machineguns when it suits their desire to convict.

Seems like they just want to know the path of least resistance so they can get the most out of thumping people over the head with a bad law without thumping so many people as to draw attention to the mess the ATF really is.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Depleted uranium and Beryllium bullets should be banned across the planet.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

Depleted uranium and Beryllium bullets should be banned across the planet.

Probably, but the reasons why are beyond the scope of this law the ATF is confused about.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I shoot solids all the time. Hunting and targets, handguns and rifles. I wonder if I'm breaking the law?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Isn't that officials jobs to make up stupid laws and nonsensical regulations. Think about it. How many idiot laws are out there? They rake in the cash too. Like the law about not wearing seat belt. That's one of the most useless laws out there. Who are you hurting, no one. Who does it have the potential to hurt? Only yourself. So by the definition ski diving, white water rafting, riding a bike. Picking your nose should be illegal.

When it comes to this issue I think you hit it on the nose. They're trying to find a way to weasel it in to get the biggest results with out people really noticing.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The Federal Government/Law Enforcement has Directed Energy Weapons now.

Everyone's guns are now useless and obsolete. If somebody doesn't like you they will cook you in your own home.

Americans Right to Life and Right to Bear Arms to protect that life are looooooong gone. ATF knows that very well.

The Firearm's days are over.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Well, it seems more like they are asking for public opinion on the matter. To see what kinds of ammo people are using and if their is a public consensus on what should be allowed. I don't think that's such a bad idea, they are supposed to work for the public after all...

Considering that a large portion of the populace does not understand anything about firearms other than what they see in the movies, I don't think they have any intelligent idea of what sort of ammo should be allowed.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
You cant make this stuff up:

In short "we dont know how the hell to apply or enforce this poorly crafted piece of legislative # so will you guys help us out? Or at least voice a popular enough opinion that mob rule approval will make up for us doing something incredibly stupid?"

ATF Question of the Month
edit on 13-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Wouldn't "armor piercing" be based on caliber more than projectile? I imagine a 500 s&w will tear through body armor regardless of what type of bullet is used. The only pistol caliber that i'm aware of that is bordline armor piercing to the point that bullet type would matter is the FN 5.7

Here is a video of the different bullet types for that caliber that will and will not penetrate armor

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

join