It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Daily - Apocalypse, but not as we know it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Interesting article from Space Daily. They present a few different apocalypse scenerios which could take place and how they would unfold. The article goes through a few different situations (Flu, Limited Nuclear War, 'Climate Change', Comet Strike) that can happen and the common theme is that we are all interconnected and the balance is fragile.

Space Daily - Apocolypse but not as we know it

..... Instead, they tend to see it in the context of a relatively smaller episode that is amplified by human frailty, and so becomes cataclysmic. The reason: Today's seven billion humans live in a complex and mainly urban society, dependent on long supply chains for food, power and water. One big shock, and this fragile structure starts to crack.

"A lot of things in this world are very interconnected, and it does make us vulnerable," says Jocelyn Bell Burnell, a top British astrophysicist at Oxford University. "For example, one thing many people may not have appreciated is that if there is a bad solar storm that knocks out several communications satellites, things like the GPS (the Global Positioning System) will go down." In the worst scenarios, many millions could die, economies collapse and civilisations could retreat or die, even if the planet -- and humans as a species -- survived.

Even something limited in size could collapse the entire economy and cause a world wide meltdown with millions of deaths around the planet.

MY BIG FEAR .... if something like a killer flu hits and we have a massive kill off .. who is going to run the nuclear power plants? They'll start melting down. I've seen people jump up and down with joy at the thought of a 'reboot' of society .. but they forget these fully loaded nuclear plants that require constant attention. They are just sitting there with MASSIVE killing potential in them if something were to happen to the human population ...

Anyways .. interesting article for those interested in TEOTWAWKI ...

edit on 12/13/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed title

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Matthew 24

22 “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Not just a killer flu escaping from one of over 1000 bio labs we have to worry about but we are overdue for a carrington event type solar storm. A solar storm of that magnetuted could leave us without power for months to maybe even years. Alot of reactors could melt down in that time frame if they dont receive a steady supply of fuel to keep the fuel pools cooled. Just think of hundreds of chernobyls going off... frightening stuff

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I've always wondered whats going to happen with these nuclear power plants too

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by darknewt

The last to leave would shut them down one would hope! One would also hope that there are procedures for such an eventuality but Fukishima would indicate otherwise.

P

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Sadly nothing is currently being done to harden the power grid against such solar events.. It's not "if" it's when? All it will take is one direct hit from a solar flare to cripple the very inferstructure we depend on. It would be like being sent back to the stone age and all those reacters melting down could be leathal.
I read somewhere that some of those transformers in those power substations take 1 year to build and theres very few companies that build them so we could be looking a years and years to get everyone back online. Millions would die within the first week just from not having life support. Any food that needs to be kept cool will go bad within days... people will go hungry basicaly turning into zombies searching for food raiding peoples homes ect

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Spent fuel rods inside fuel pools can take 10-20 years before being sent for reprocessing or dry cask storage. Unfortunelty we can't just turn these things off... if we do all then all the water will boil away and the fuel rods will catch on fire and burn leaking radiation everywhere.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by darknewt
I've always wondered whats going to happen with these nuclear power plants too

Those are what I'm really concerned about. If society breaks down .. or a flu hits and kills millions .. or whatever. There are a limited number of people on the planet that know how to run those and if those people are gone, or if the people who bring the items that are required to keep the nuke plants in operation disappear .. what will happen with all those nuclear plants around the world?

It'll be unfreak'n believable! That's what I am most concerned about.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Just remember,when the Schumer hits the fan, run UPWIND.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
When I was little I used to think how lucky I was to be born at a time when lots of nasty diseases could be cured, that I lived in a warm house, that I was somehow 'safe'! And that those nice men who run the country were very intelligent and new exactly what they were doing, with our best interests at heart of course.

I WANNA BE A KID AGAIN!

It's very disturbing to stop and think just how fragile society really is. In the UK we seem to be obsessed with political correctness and human rights. One big volcano erupting, anywhere in the world, leading to mass starvation, would mean that people with any human rights would be those with a loaded gun.

And as for nuclear power.......I sense a lot of crossed fingers.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychoparrot

When I was little I used to think how lucky I was to be born at a time when lots of nasty diseases could be cured, that I lived in a warm house, that I was somehow 'safe'! And that those nice men who run the country were very intelligent and new exactly what they were doing, with our best interests at heart of course.

Yep... the good ol' days. Me too, here in America. That was a result of a societal Judeo/Christian outlook on life. This is because Christianity is a practical thing.... Don't just talk about it... reach out to people and help them.

Well, these days, you'll find that a lot of that influence is gone, and so is the assurance with it. We have a heritage of good-will from those days in the US and the Western World though... Thank God.

If you want that "warm fuzzy" feeling again... you can get close to Jesus
He is all-knowing, all-controlling (from our perspective), very intelligent, and knows exactly what He's doing, with our (by this, I mean His people's) best interests at heart, of course.

edit on 14/12/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

top topics

join