It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DisInfo agents, bogus members posting threads...why?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Sorry, no. That was the extent of my trolling abilities right there. If I could articulate what just happened to me psychologically after I read your OP I would. Perhaps, they don't know they're trolling. I didn't realize your OP wasn't a complaint until you corrected me. Some people can't admit they're wrong and fight until they retreat.

link   
I have seen some posters with hundreds or even thousands of posts within a couple of weeks of joining.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

link   
reply to post by ThisToiletEarth

I can buy that as a plausible explanation, though I don't think it is likely. Socially awkward types join ATS, then jump through hoops only to have their shot at interaction but instead disappear?
edit on 12-12-2012 by lambs to lions because: Sp

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
I can buy that as a plausible explanation, though I don't think it is likely. Socially am ward types join ATS, then jump through hoops only to have their shot at interaction but instead disappear?

Ahhhh the bathroom logic still fits.

Jump through the hoop = Drop a turd, pinch a loaf (whatever you want to call it) in the Toilet (hoop).

Their shot at interaction = Scribble scribble on the wall

Disappear = Flush and leave

You have further proved my brown point. People are not here for the same reasons as you.
Does not make their actions fishy. Makes even more socially awkward.
edit on 12-12-2012 by ThisToiletEarth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Frettin

It's all good.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
There's not an agenda here to bury the wheat with chaff.

These are not the droids you're looking for either.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Found one. Although this will be moved out of Aliens/UFOs or deleted before you see this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

You missed my point. I'll recap. There have been many new members pumping out their required 20 posts in order to post a thread. Their posts are short and incoherent, or without any real substance. Next, they post a thread which is extremely generic. Like, 'I saw a ufo.' However, they don't post pics, have much at all to say, and then they bounce after a few replies. It's obvious they are hollow posts. The mods have been good about shutting them down. Just curious why they would go through the effort of it all???

You do get the occasional post/thread that's as you say, not very informative, no depth, pics, etc.,
but you have to keep in mind that sites like ATS will bring in a fringe element. Also, the Pentagon
did fess up to trolling forums last year if I remember correctly.

I'm willing to bet the ADL and SPLC probably have a few troll accounts here too. Hi guys! (waves)

In my opinion, ATS is a very informative, educational site, and those annoying posts/threads
are just part of the territory. Don't stress it man, let it roll right off your shoulder.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Maybe I’m too naïve, but I could never be certain anything I have seen is completely bogus or some form of disinfo. Personally I try to be somewhat selective with my posts, so would that cause me to be labeled insincere in some way? I’m genuinely very curious how to determine without question that a thread is misleading.

Having said that, however, more than a few times after I started a thread, I would get some responses that were far off topic, intentionally inflammatory, accusatory, or seemingly an attempt to change the subject. So your concern would include both those who create new threads and those who respond.

In the scheme of themes, the reason I am here is because of all the sites I have seen, ATS seems to offer significantly more intelligent debate and discussion and it flows in a manner I can work with as a computer neophyte. Perhaps/probably the ones with an outside vested interest consider ATS to be at or near the top of the “conspiracy” chain? That would make us a perceived threat and if I were in their position I would absolutely want to know all I could about ATS and it’s members.

Finally, the scary thing to me is that we all know they can dig as deep as they want with even the minimal information they can scavenge from our visits, posts, and registration. We surrendered our first rights by being born, continued when we got our computers, extended further when we connected to the world wide web, and practically invited suspicion when we signed up on the site.

What are they after indeed?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth
Found one. Although this will be moved out of Aliens/UFOs or deleted before you see this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't doubt this is the case a lot of the time.. It doesn't have to be one or another explanation. All explanations are correct sometimes..

Did you guys see Phage's thread?

DARPA Developing Anti-disinfo Bots

I see a lot of steering of general consciousness. Where some may view this thread as a complaint it is really reaching out.. Some people really worry that we are on the edge of mass control of online environments. For people like me who find consciousness and ideas Art and uniqueness to be more important than physical reality, this is a threatening thing..

I like arguing with people and being wrong, but being subtle manipulated, is not my cup of tea.
edit on 12/13/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

You missed my point. I'll recap. There have been many new members pumping out their required 20 posts in order to post a thread. Their posts are short and incoherent, or without any real substance. Next, they post a thread which is extremely generic. Like, 'I saw a ufo.' However, they don't post pics, have much at all to say, and then they bounce after a few replies. It's obvious they are hollow posts. The mods have been good about shutting them down. Just curious why they would go through the effort of it all???

I just passed the 20-post goal myself, and I have to agree with you. The ability to generate threads is kind of a nice tip of the hat but what does it offer except the ability to start new discussions instead of simply joining in? And once that occurs, what's the point of dropping one-liners and running? I agree that it seems like an effort for no real good reason, unless it's to control the flow of new posts. If it involves advertising or plugging sites, etc., that makes sense, but if it's just a cut-and-run then the reason must be something else. I just don't buy the "socially awkward" explanation; it would have to go something like this:

Oh geez, I'm not sure that I can contribute anything meaningful and don't want to be chastised for it. Oh, I know, I'll flood the message boards with tonnes of meaningless drivel ... that'll get 'em to like me!

Doesn't make sense if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

reply to post by TheLieWeLive

I've noticed three threads started in the last 24 hours that were hastily thrown together with little to no content. The posters were all brand new members who hit their post count and started a thread. The mods have done a good job closing them down. I wish I could name names but I can't. Anyways, I'm curious what the purpose for these threads are? There seemingly is no point, but why go through the trouble? Bizarre.

Check the posting times. If you see a rapid succession of trash threads, I highly recommend checking out the threads immediately proceeding it: it's a technique used to bury threads called "forum sliding".

Also, dustytoad nailed it here:

Step 6) gauge the new altered mass opinion. Look for the hold outs and mop up the rest of public interest with silly, dumb looking topics and discussions seemingly in support of these ideas, but something that looks crazy and incorrect.

Mold the argument, adjust your metrics.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Now that I'm thinking about it, it might be interesting if someone with some spare time did some quick look-ups on user names, similar writing styles, or even something simple like a Google search for the post content (usually five or six select words are enough to find unique results). I've been able to find duplicate comments from a variety of sites more than a few times under different (but ultimately repeating) names. They may not necessarily be bots -- cutting and pasting isn't tough.

Additional information such as IP addresses (and from there geolocation) can also often be retrieved this way. Not every site displays a wealth of information, but every once in a while you hit on one that does the trick.

Just an idea -- I wouldn't want this to turn into some sort of Stasi name list!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Government-paid dis-info agents paid to create fear to keep the 'PTW' (powers that were) fear-energy alive and try and confuse people.

Like you, I've also noticed the thread titles created by these 'system-slaves' which are usually purposely highly controversial (just for a change on this site!!) and make no reasonable sense at all. Also the government-funded 'scientist' Michio Kaku is another fear-mongerer, if he's not spouting about an asteroid, meteorite, or whatever other cosmic body he chooses, that is definately going to collide with earth in the very near future!! it's some other celestial event that will cause mass level extinction.

My humble opinion in relation to these so-called space collisions is, if it's gonna happen so be it, what can we realistically do to stop it except pray and then bend over and kiss someone else's arss goodbye!!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by transmundane

Any lists of names gathered could not be posted here. The Mods will have that thread closed pretty quickly.
can't have any out of control witch hunts, and I agree with the T & C on this issue.

Spreading info about the tools used is worthwhile though. There are a lot threads on the techniques and emerging technologies to control the flow of thoughts. Arming yourself to see this helps..

Sometimes it seems like this battle will be over soon with better AI..
Other times I think humans are in the midst of an exponential shift in awareness.. Whoever get's to the 100th monkey first wins the day..

By the way welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're here.

Originally posted by kiwitina948

Government-paid dis-info agents paid to create fear to keep the 'PTW' (powers that were) fear-energy alive and try and confuse people.

Exactly! Out of every truth you could get wrong or right always know they want you to be afraid..

I bet they don't like my signature..

edit on 12/13/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
You know what? Not All new members are aware that one has to present a thread on par with an award-winning documentary to be taken seriously here,or to avoid being dismissed as a troll or an idiot/disinfo agent.Like in the case of say..Satanism.Folks see a tattoo'd guy,Tshirt that proclaims I Love Lucifer,Death Metal pounding from out of his apartment-and they think:That is one evil dude...But you see that one coming a mile away.Beware rather,of the one's you'll never See coming.A word to the wise.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

reply to post by TheLieWeLive

I've noticed three threads started in the last 24 hours that were hastily thrown together with little to no content. The posters were all brand new members who hit their post count and started a thread. The mods have done a good job closing them down. I wish I could name names but I can't. Anyways, I'm curious what the purpose for these threads are? There seemingly is no point, but why go through the trouble? Bizarre.

Confusion... disbelief... destabilization... it comes it many shapes and it serves to keep the various people who have the guts to question the established from organizing.

Stick to and trust your own beliefs. Do NOT let yourself be swayed by people who openly defends the established as being the right way or shield yourself from people making short idle threads like the ones you mention. Ie. don't bother posting in them...... stick to putting your energy into threads that really wants to change or open minds.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
People have different opinions, people have different interests. The fact that they differ makes them "disinfo agents"?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join