It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Arms DIY Drone w/ Paintball Gun, Proves Accurate Hitting Human Cutout Targets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Cool - as a 'proof of concept' goes - yet scary.

Drones aren't just for the military and government anymore - regular citizens and makers are embracing drones at an amazing rate and creating some very interesting uses for this rapidly developing technology. Milo Danger designs, builds, flies & shoots an armed drone to determine just how safe - or dangerous - these machines are in the hands of a novice flyer.

This invites a very serious question - what are the legal ramifications for defending yourself against something like this - knowing that any sicko can potentially arm a homemade drone?

Original source:
www.Facebook.com...
www.twitter.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Scary stuff, do not get on with your neighbour send one of those in.

Reminds me of FPS russian and his one.

Not sure if real but boy...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Sorry to say, that's fake, a viral ad for the next Call of Duty game. (link)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Thought so but I bet the OP's guy in the vid saw it and decided to make his own.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
That's still a Baaad ass ad.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

What? Why does that make it fake?

Are you guys not familiar with the Russian's videos? He likes making explosions and has access to a LOT of Toys. Those bodies were pre rigged to explode.. There was gas in the can...
Many US Drones have self destruct options.. The Gun is modded.. Even toy companies have cell phone apps now to control flying helicopters with camera included and auto pilot.. For $19.99

Oh and where was the Call of duty referenced at all? Games mimick reality.. Just play Command and conquer to see airborne laser systems.. But that doesn't make the HELLADS system fake..
edit on 12/12/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

I hate the fact he had me going for ages that he was a real Russian Grrrrr.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Back to the OP it must be illegal to have a weapon strapped to a home made drone eh?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Back to the OP it must be illegal to have a weapon strapped to a home made drone eh?

AFAIK, there are no laws preventing you from doing this, other than what laws pertain to the ownership/use of firearms now. I guess it would be the same as if you strapped a weapon to an RC car and drove it into a parking lot full of people... probably a more feasible scheme than a drone, and one that maybe illustrates this concept is no more a threat than RC cars...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
And when you put a weapon with any real power onto it,

what happens with the recoil? Accuracy goes out the window.

Paintballs are one thing.

Real ammo is another.

(I like how he skips that detail despite mentioning it)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Government will soon take this away from us to because some idiots out there will cause damage and use this for criminal activities such as, spyiing, bombs, drugs, looks outs etc.

Or you will need a license, background check thru doj and fbi, all sorts red tape. Nothing is safe anymore in our hands
edit on 12-12-2012 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

To be fair imagine if someone flew one over a baseball crowd fitted with an AR-12, it wouldn't matter about the recoil firing in a crowd.
Scary stuff indeed. Oh and do not get any ideas anyone

But how do you police it? ban all remote controlled flying toys etc?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Recoiless rifles would be the way to go. Accuracy would be such a crap shoot from a UAV that even if recoil was throwing the drone around it probably wouldn't matter as far as spraying bullets around.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
he should add a laser sight to get more accurate shots.

the problem with using a real gun is the recoil may destabilize the "drone" out of the sky.

he should sell them to paint ball mil-sim enthusiasts and make a killing.

imagine playing a game and busting that thing out and roaming thru the forest taking out the entire team.
edit on 12-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Your link is just an opinion piece from an online tech blog not that it is wrong, just that it doesn't give much credit. It is a viral ad for Black Ops II, however, they did do a lot making it. Good choice of platform to launch it on too, because FPS Russia has had some pretty crazy stuff in the past.

Take a look behind the scenes of the viral FPSRussia video featuring the Tacitus Quad-copter.

Just two days ago the viral marketing campaign kicked off for the next Call of Duty game. While not official title has been confirmed yet, most speculation and debunking is leading towards Black Ops 2.

The most notable viral asset to launch was a video uploaded by FPS Russia showcasing a "quad-copter" fully equipped with a machine gun and self destructing capabilities. This weapon was described as futuristic technology 10-15 years ahead of its time.

A majority of the community thought the device and explosions were fully created using computer graphics, however that isnt the case.

The gunfire, explosions, and on-site destruction was setup by Defiant Effects, a company that focuses on mechanical and pyrotechnical effects. Josh Kornoff, the Special Effects Supervisor at Defiant, recently updated the company's website to include information about the FPSRussia video:

digitalwarfare247.com...

Okay, so it's still special effects. But the part that impressed me is that the quadcopter was built on a 3d printer. Maybe the technology isn't fully perfected right now. But after seeing that, and thinking back to the thread about a 3d printer making an AR15 upper, it makes you wonder how soon before you can simply print off a lethal drone...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I look at it this way - sure, it's only a paintball gun - but as a 'proof of concept' it shows a serious potential. It's much like the 3D-printed AR that recently managed to fire off six rounds. Yes, you can make a much better gun by milling a block of aluminum than using a 3D printer, but as a proof of concept that 3D-printed gun was a big stepping stone of what the near future my bring as far as homemade weaponry goes. With this homemade UAV-mounted paintball gun shows us that it won't be long at all before we have a real UAV-mounted AR, all within the reach of the do-it-yourselfer. Or, just to make our collective heads explode, a UAV-mounted 3D-printed plastic gun... Heck, just print the UAV too while your at it. The only thing you'll have to buy will be bullets and motors.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Replace the paint balls with pepper balls and/or hard balls and this would be a great way to go after trespassers on large rural properties or even people in prison yard riots.
alternatebuy.com...

I can see a lot of uses for a non lethal UAV

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Pandora's box is open. Let saner minds prevail. So we the public can enjoy these new toys.

Personally, i always wanted one of these RC drones since the first video i saw years ago. I dont care about mounting a weapon or webcam. I just wanna fly it around.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Time to sharpen the skills with aerial clay target
It shouldnt be too hard to knock one of these down

top topics

join