Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Who really made the Curiosity Self-Portrait?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

This page explains the self-portrait. www.nasa.gov...
The "footprints" are scoop marks left by the rover after sampling the soil.

There will always be people who relentlessly question and doubt everything told them officially. But these people tend to forget or ignore that these space missions often involve scientists and engineers from different countries, working for different institutions. Curiosity has instruments made in Russia, Germany, Canada and some other countries, and the science team includes people from those countries as well. So it's not just about NASA. The humanity is making a real progress in space exploration, and if someone's mental attitude makes them opposed to that... well, that's their problem.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

You could be right about that, well I also do think thats the answer. But than this device has poke the soil to investigate to underlaying layers.... but why poking soil with delicate instruments ..?

The image will always raise questions of what we see or trying to see I understand that. But one day they find something over there of significant importance... and I have the gut feeling this going to be soon!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

It's not poking the soil with delicate instruments. It's using a shovel type device, and dropping the soil sample into an instrument on the rover to analyze it.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Here's a picture of the scoop, carying the sample. mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

The scoop is located at the end of a robotic arm, and delivers the sample to the mechanism that carries the sample to the sensitive instruments.

Article: www.space.com...
edit on 13-12-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Originally posted by 0bserver1
reply to post by transmundane

Indeed you start to notice things that don't totally coop with the reality this all happened.
I still can't really figure out how the supposedly strange footprint markings got there in the fireplace? really weird

Did you even use the links I gave you and read the other thread?

Those are not "foot prints".

They are hole made by the rover's scooper for analyzing the soil. Here is one of the raw images used that show them up close:

Link to the full, high resolution picture

Go ahead and take a look at the full high resolution picture, and then come back and tell us that those are foot prints.

And apparently you missed my post on the first page.

Here it is again.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

excuse me sir.. that was kind of rude expression of such delicate piece of machinery.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join