It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The shape of a Palestinian Government

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Anyone who truly understands the dynamics of Palestines politics will end up coming to the same conclusion, albeit, one unpopular to ignorant supporters of a two state solution.

Let me frame it this way: Morocco, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt are all controlled by an Islamist majority in their parliaments. This represents a fundamental change in the direction of the Arab world, particularly in its ability to make peace with israel.

As my earlier thread argued, Hamas can never be a peace partner, not when it says "The West Bank, Gaza, the 1948 territories [Israel] — these are Palestinian lands, they are all Palestine. Not one part will be separated from any other part. Gaza and the West Bank cannot surrender Haifa, Jaffa, Beersheba, and Safed [all Israeli cities]."

This makes Hamas virtually out of the question. But...wait a moment, Hamas and Fatah seek, albeit, in a tentative form, a unity government.

Now again, the Islamist movement unequivocally opposes Israel's EXISTENCE. Not any notion of occupation, as Mashaal made so clear for us western audiences. Yet, despite this sordid betrayal of any notion of peace, Hamas has been gaining support in the Islamic world. In addition to Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and other state actors, Hamas is now receiving funds from Malaysia. In short, the Muslim world seeks to facilitate Israels destruction, not peace. Acknowledging Hamas advances Hamas' agenda against Israel, and so, against the concept of peace.

The Islamic world is also turning towards an Islamic form of governance. From Morocco, Libya, Tunisia and Egypt, Islamists are now the main party in control of the government. In Syria, Islamists from the Free Syrian Army are gaining steam, and could oust Assad as soon as April. Lebanon's sectarian struggles will undoubtedly finish in armed conflict between Shi'ite and Sunni Militants...No doubt leaving the Christians out of the picture.

In short, Hamas is the most popular party in Palestine. It received 60+ % of the vote in the 2006 legislative elections. Thus, anyone pursuant of a two state solution, pretty much agrees with where that will end up for Israel. The 'rigors" of occupation - in which Israel really only occupies 4 % of the west bank, 96% being administered and policed by the PA - would be traded for a 2nd holocaust against the Jews.

This is pretty much the only rational and probable outcome of Hamas' executive rhetoric and it's unyielding support by Egypt and other Islamic countries. While we in the west (to my surprise) are beginning to speak candidly about what Hamas is all about, and what they ultimately intend, the Arabs (and Muslims at large) go on about treading their own path, ignoring world opinion.

If peace is made with Fatah, Hamas will inherit the newly found government. Hamas has a larger grassroots support amongst Palestinians than Fatah. Hamas would have a majority government. A party which has repeated it's stated goals of "eliminating the Zionist entity" intimates genocide by such calls, yet very few people - at least at this site - have the moral audacity to confront this situation.

edit on 12-12-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Well let me point out a few points i disagree with.

Let me frame it this way: Morocco, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt are all controlled by an Islamist majority in their parliaments. This represents a fundamental change in the direction of the Arab world, particularly in its ability to make peace with israel.

Now surely Israel should be the one trying to make every effort for peace, as i said in another thread of your's HERE were i spoke about Israel being a new neighbour in the middle east and is quite possibly the worst neighbour in history, on this premise of being a new neighbour i see it like this.

If i moved into a old well establish neighbourhood and pissed off and upset everyone in that neighbourhood who have lived there for over a 1000years, i should be the one looking to make peace with the neighbourhood, not the neighbourhood make peace with me ?

This is pretty much the only rational and probable outcome of Hamas' executive rhetoric and it's unyielding support by Egypt and other Islamic countries.
While we in the west (to my surprise) are beginning to speak candidly about what Hamas is all about, and what they ultimately intend, the Arabs (and Muslims at large) go on about treading their own path, ignoring world opinion.

Most of us in the west know what Hamas is all about and we know they are a extreme group, but so is the likud party, but i find it kinda ironic you mention the Muslims at large are ignoring world opinion, surely you have to agree Israel are the worst offenders on the planet for Ignoring world opinion ?

Don't get me wrong i'm no lover of Islam and her culture, but it's very hypocritical of Israel to accuse others of ignoring world opinion

If peace is made with Fatah, Hamas will inherit the newly found government. Hamas has a larger grassroots support amongst Palestinians than Fatah. Hamas would have a majority government.

Of course Hamas would get a larger grassroots support amongst Palestinians, Israel been killing there woman and children and fathers for 70+ years, they are a angry grieving people, just like the Jewish were after the 2nd world war and still are to this day.

A party which has repeated it's stated goals of "eliminating the Zionist entity" intimates genocide by such calls, yet very few people - at least at this site - have the moral audacity to confront this situation.

This is a site for critical thinkers who look outside the box, ATS has a army of independent investigators who don't blindly accept what were told as gospel, this is why you will always have a hard time trying to convince people here to go along with the Israeli version of events and blatant agenda.

Though i must give you kudos 'dontreally', as you do bring a well though out case with original perspectives, which is refreshing from the rest of the Israeli apologists who sphew out the same scripted diatribe, and this is why i normally flag and star your threads for this reason even though 80% of the time i disagree with you.

In summary:
Israel chose the aggressive path to the creation of Israel, which was a massive mistake, Israel may have some of the greatest financial minds on the planet, but when it comes to hearts and minds, and long term peace tactics, Israel are way out of there depth and this is turning out to be Israel undoing..

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Your assertion that Israel only occupies 4% of the West Bank - while the number itself is questionable, it also certainly fails to take into account the hundreds of checkpoints, physical barriers, and Jewish-only roads.
I've noticed you are often disingenuous in these threads; you seem well acquainted with this topic, one could even say something of an expert? And yet you constantly choose to omit pertinent facts. Facts that even someone who is not an expert, such as myself, find to be glaring omissions.

1. It turns out that number is disputed :

Built-up Israeli settlement areas in the West Bank cover less than 2 percent of the land, but government planners have intentionally given settlers control of more than 40 percent, the Israeli human rights monitoring group B'Tselem said Monday.

Sources (articles/report) ;
- jewishottawa.com...
- rense.com...
- B'Tselem report: www.btselem.org...

In response to that assertion, even the chairman of the settler council admits, whilst claiming the report is by an "organization that has been taken over by the most radical anti-Israel elements" :

Dani Dayan, chairman of the settlers council, said settlements control just 9.2 percent of the West Bank, not 42 percent.

(B'Tselem is an Israeli human rights organization; (though I've only read part of it so far), the report mentions research on land titles/ownership going back to 1948; in which certain land that Israel has long classified/considered to be 'state' land, they've researched public records etc and found many cases of ownership of land to have been changed after the fact; in other words, fraud and theft, if I understand it correctly.)

2. In regard to the checkpoints, barricades, barrier wall and restricted roads and areas:

Israel's severe restrictions on Palestinians' freedom of movement in the West Bank are enforced by a system of fixed checkpoints, surprise flying checkpoints, physical obstructions, roads on which Palestinians are forbidden to travel, and gates along the Separation Barrier. The restrictions enable Israel to control Palestinian movement throughout the West Bank as suits its interests, in a sweeping breach of Palestinians' rights.

In February 2012, there were 98 fixed checkpoints in the West Bank.

At some of the checkpoints, Israel prohibits crossing for private Palestinian vehicles, apart from those with special permits, and in principle allows crossing only for public transportation and commercial vehicles.

In addition, Israel has blocked the access roads to some of the main traffic arteries in the West Bank by means of hundreds of physical obstructions, such as dirt piles, concrete blocks, iron gates, and trenches.

Another restriction is forbidding Palestinians to use certain roads. In October 2010, there were 232 kilometers of roads in the West Bank that Israel classified for the sole, or almost sole, use of Israelis, primarily of settlers. Israel also prohibits Palestinians from even crossing some of these roads with vehicles, thereby restricting their access to nearby roads that they are ostensibly not prohibited from using. In these cases, Palestinians travelers have to get out of the vehicle, cross the road on foot, and find an alternative mode of transportation on the other side.

In addition to the above restrictions, the Separation Barrier, which was built mostly inside the West Bank, impairs Palestinian movement.

Source : www.btselem.org...

( Edit: removed a map from post, it was too big; can be found at link below)
Source: unispal.un.org...

It would be fair to say then, that all that (and that's the least of it) would tend to "shape the Palestinian government", and general feelings towards the Israelis, would it not?

As to the rest of it...well, as I've said to you before, and you can choose not to believe it if you wish, but...this geopolitical shuffling we're seeing happening is not quite as anti-Israel as it would seem. It's not what it seems at all. The US/NATO isn't doing what it's doing for no reason, there's some goal in mind; and Israel can certainly count on the US to continue to toe their line and protect them as well. AIPAC (and their minions), runs the show don't cha know, har har har; one doesn't make it to the oval office if they aren't on the same page. So, are we really to believe they'd be deliberately putting these Islamists in power if it wasn't benefiting them somehow? That the best intelligence agencies in the world are bumbling around and don't see the consequences? No...
And hey, if Israel goes down, we all go down too, har har har, and don't we all know it...Samson option, right? I think you've even mentioned it. They've insured themselves against double-cross...so...what's Israel got to worry about, really?

edit on 13-12-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: correction/add comment

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

If peace is made with Fatah, Hamas will inherit the newly found government. Hamas has a larger grassroots support amongst Palestinians than Fatah. Hamas would have a majority government. A party which has repeated it's stated goals of "eliminating the Zionist entity" intimates genocide by such calls, yet very few people - at least at this site - have the moral audacity to confront this situation.

I agree with everything in your post with this exception.

First of all, Hamas will only fake peace with Fatah. They've fought too many battles between them to think it's ever going to stop or that they'll truly agree on anything.

Second, the only people who are going to support Hamas are the extremists. If Hamas gains a majority of the government, it will only be by force, like in 2007 or by the extremists.

Third, if Hamas was so sure that they stood a strong chance, they wouldn't be putting off Gaza elections. Elections were supposed to take place in July 2010, but Hamas keeps putting Abbas off on a true election. So far, as a representative of Fatah, Abbas has been peaceful and Hamas has not.

If what you are saying is true, most Palestinians are Muslim extremists.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Let's cut the chase and get STRAIGHT to the POINT.

You REJECT the 2 state solution, so what are proposing instead? Status quo? Have you gone insane?

But you dont seem insane, as you could articulate very well your points on the veracity and support of Hamas and by Islamists around the world.

Do you prefer to keep Palestine in your backyard, with autonomous self rule and subject them to Israeli laws without Isreali citizenship?

Do you, in your most lucid moments, think palestinians who do have a right to SHARE that land allocation, will roll over and play dead for Israel, or will you wake up to the fact that your proposal will ensure even MORE destruction of precious lives on both sides in continuaity till one human is left standing on that land allocation?

Keep to one state solution, and you will get world opinion on palestinian side espacially when the sympathy and crocodile tears card is so easy to play and fool others. 138 foolish nations that supported recognition of bloodthirsty hamas controlled palestine with observer status proves it true.

Keept to 2 state solution, and the international rules will be very clear. Whomever steps across the line, will face world condemnation with international actions applied - diplomacy, sanctions, etc.

I know that this post will not convince you, nor did my many other posts. It is your right to post as you wish, but the facts will still remain clear and evident when the time comes for israelis and palestinians to choose on the peace process conferance table.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Keept to 2 state solution, and the international rules will be very clear. Whomever steps across the line, will face world condemnation with international actions applied - diplomacy, sanctions, etc.

I definitely see where you are coming from, but I have to ask myself, will it change anything?

The Palestinians can't even come up with a government of their own that works.

The people "stepping across lines" already have world condemnation and threats of international action against them. You think they care? We're talking about jihadists and wanna be martyrs here.

The Palestinians are going to want their own military and Israel would be crazy to allow it.

Personally, I don't see any kind of a workable solution in this matter.

Even if Israel worked out a huge agreement on the rights of Palestinians living in an Israeli state, the Muslim extremists would just hold them back from obtaining their rights as punishment for "conceding". Nope. It's pretty much hopeless no matter how you look at it.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Israel created these extremists.

If you watched your wife father child brother killed or staving to death, and you see no future, you become a extremist aswell.

If Israel really wants peace, she needs to win hearts and minds.

Israel needs to repair the damage she has caused, this won't happen over night it takes time, but it's the only way Israel will ever live in peace.

Ask your self why do Gazans and Palestinians support the extremists ?

When Israel created Hamas, she had the perfect opportunity to invest in a peaceful government, but Israel chose to let extremists gain all the support by her aggressive actions.

Honestly Israel acts like a spoiled child who thinks she knows best, Israel needs to grow up on the international stage, as after what happen with Palestine getting UN recognition shows Palestine is growing up faster then the spoiled brat rich kid that is Israel.

It's really time Israel took another route as the road she been down for the last 70+ years just isn't working.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by snapperski

Have you looked at the number of Muslim extremists/terrorists/jihadists in Syria??!!

Are you going to blame all of them on Israel too?

Let's get real, people! These people (Sunni vs. Shiite) have been at war with each other since the last Muslim Caliphate ended and they can be found in every Middle Eastern country.

Israel takes the blunt of it because they're not Muslim. To the extremists, having Jews controlling land that they consider to be their religious right is only the beginning. If they were to get rid of the Jews and take the land, then they would be back to destroying each other over who's going to rule the next Caliphate.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I think that might be (part of?) the point in getting the Islamists in power as the US/NATO has been deliberately aiding and abetting - keep 'em busy fighting amongst themselves.

And again, they're the ones who forced themselves there; they could've had a nice little colony in Africa, South America, North America, wherever, but oh no, it had to be there. I'd say they knew what they were in for, they asked for it, and they've consistently aggravated/antagonized everyone in the area. Whether it was necessary or not (ie, show of strength/determination) is another debate, but it's what they've done.
edit on 13-12-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: add comment

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Have a bit more faith in the rule of international law. That's what's been keeping conquest at bay by rogue nations since the end of WW2.

A nation may think it dares to swallow up another nation. But there is NO way that nation can swallow up another with 196 NATIONS staring down at them.

Furthermore, the price of independence/Statehood, comes with responsibility.

Hamas, which sadly, is the one whom will rule as it plays its sympathy card well, no thanks to Iran whois the most likely to have assasinated Arafat and thus ended Fatah and peace talks, will be HELD accountable to the well being and social welfare of ALL palestinians.

With the funds from arab spring fearing Qatar and the muslim world, as well as free armaments from Iran to keep sunnis stupidly focus on Israel and forget about the 1,300 years shia-sunni conflict, they certainly can pay every man, woman and child as soldiers for war for months.

But in the end, no foreign aid can last forever. The Palestine economy have to be sustainable, just like any other nation on Earth, as trade and services is the lifeblood of our world. Screw it up, and the masses will revolt.

Israel is strong enough to wage war for years with the kind of well heeled support it can get. But Palestine cannot. NOt with dependence on M.E. fuels growing lesser by the world. Worse if Hamas are yet again the agressors, which no nation will support except Iran out of self interest of survival.

Thus they may consider building up their economy first, with social expenditure. In that programme, it will build up a strong middle class, and with a strong educated healthy middle class, they will NOT want to rock the boat, espacially when Hamas religious ideology is twisted in the first place.

Thus, better a 2 solution state, so that agression activities be more honestly viewed upon for the right necessary actions to take place.

edit on 13-12-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by curiouscanadian777

And again, they're the ones who forced themselves there; they could've had a nice little colony in Africa, South America, North America, wherever, but oh no, it had to be there. I'd say they knew what they were in for, they asked for it, and they've consistently aggravated/antagonized everyone in the area. Whether it was necessary or not (ie, show of strength/determination) is another debate, but it's what they've done.

According to the Bible, God gave Israel the land.

Unfortunately, Muhammad created his own religion to counter that.

As for Israel knowing what they were in for, you better believe it. The whole Bible was written around it and tells us from beginning to end how it was going to go. So far, the Bible is right on track.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Second, the only people who are going to support Hamas are the extremists. If Hamas gains a majority of the government, it will only be by force, like in 2007 or by the extremists.

They won 77 of 120 seats in the 2005 elections. They ARE generally thought by Palestinians to be more effective than Fatah.

Third, if Hamas was so sure that they stood a strong chance, they wouldn't be putting off Gaza elections.

True. But who are these other parties vying with Hamas? They're other Islamist organizations, such as Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Army of Islam, and others. The issue with Gaza's Palestinians - hilarious enough as it is - is that Hamas is too "moderate" i.e. they work slowly and methodically within accepted political norms to achieve their ends. These peripheral groups which Hamas has worked hard to control just want violent Jihad: no hudnas, no peace; in short, they're idiots.

The problem with Hamas is it's ideological intractability. They may "agree" partially, or temporally, to a peace. But this temporary cessation of war against Israel is ultimately predicated in a cost-benefit framework: if were weak, we'll bide our time until we get stronger. When we get stronger, we'll eliminate Israel.

Not only is this the most probable explanation for Hamas' "pragmatism", but it also explains the pragmatism of other Islamist parties which operate within democratic systems, i.e the Muslim Brotherhood, Ennahada etc.

If what you are saying is true, most Palestinians are Muslim extremists.

Simply look at the propaganda in the Gaza strip. In a recent Daily telegraphic article, the author argues that Hamas would be "limited" by political realities once is takes over power. Is this sensible? The author of the article then asserts that "Hamas could give the people the chance to vote in a referendum whether they want peace with Israel or not". Given Hamas' propaganda activities on Al Quds TV, it's newspapers, Schools, and other extra-curricular projects, it's far more likely that a Hamas ruled government would co-opt Palestinians by training them through these media outlets to push Hamas' ideological agenda. They can call this "democracy", but it only points out one of the pitfalls of democracy: manipulation through propaganda.

So far, the west, UNIFIL, UNRWA, have done nothing substantial about Hamas' propaganda in the Gaza strip. If peace were ever established with a PA government, there would have to be many prerequisites, besides those already demanded by the Jewish state, such as no right of return (which would only destroy Israel demographically), which is a sure sign that the other side has no real intention to live side by side with a Jewish state, demilitarization etc. But also, international oversight of Palestinian media. Anything unacceptable, blood libel claims, omission of Israel from Palestinian textbooks, anti-Judaism, anti-semitism, anything that foments hatred towards Jews and Israel would only gear Palestinians towards a position that a so-called "referendum" would incline them towards.

Without a change in Hamas, without a change in their charter, any concept of peace with them is preposterous. .

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

You REJECT the 2 state solution, so what are proposing instead? Status quo? Have you gone insane?

So it's not insane playing the game of concede, divest, and let the Islamists advance? This happened first in Hebron. Then it happened in Gaza. Every concession Israel makes brings Islamists closer to achieving their "phased" goal of Israel's destruction.

It's not insane. It's assessing the situation and understanding that something has to give. The status quo would be to leave things as: that's not gonna work. Rather, Israel knows that neither Hamas nor Fatah (who by the way provides funds for the Al Aqsa martyr brigades, so they're not exactly "moderate") ever want peace. True, fatah is more likely to come to that recognition, but what then? Were talking about a state that has stipulated that "no Jews" can live within a Palestinian state. This is a racist formulation that if it was said by a western nation, would receive opprobrium. Further, Abbas has still failed to quantify his relationship with a Jewish state. He says he'll live with Israel as a "political reality" (which is not exactly a peaceful statement), but he has never, to this day, allowed Israel's right to exist as a JEWISH state.

In short, it's plain as day what Arabs intend for Israel. The secularists were the problem of yesterday. Today's problem is far more dire. Islamists base themselves on a religious ideology: in Sunni Islam, the world is divided along Manichean lines into "Dar al Harb" abode of war, and "Dar al Islam", abode of Islam. As long as others, non-Muslims, are infidels, living in the "domain of war", as long as this medieval tripe persists in Islamic thinking, and a state bases itself upon the theologies of Al Ghazali and Ashuri, how can peace ever be imagined? Not merely with Israel, but with all Non-Muslim nations?

This is ultimately why Israel is important to the west. Whatever happens to Israel now will be a portent of what will be in future times.

Do you prefer to keep Palestine in your backyard, with autonomous self rule and subject them to Israeli laws without Isreali citizenship?

I would be willing to grant them full Israeli citizenship. The demographics would still be in favor of Israel's Jews. And the state would continue to be thought of as the "Jewish state". Undoubtedly, there are democratic rights which Arabs will be entitled to, but that does not change the fact of Israel being a "Jewish" state, just as 22 Arab states have an "Arab" identity, and give special place (or encapsulate in law) to Islam. For example, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya have very sizable Berber speaking populations. 65 million of them. Yet, not surprisingly (given the temerity of Arab nationalism, and the Arabization program of Islam) not one of these countries make Berber a co-official language, as Israel has done with Arabic, or as Iraq has recently (being forced by western countries) done with Kurdish.

So whereas Israel has every right to protect the status of Israel as a Jewish state, and so, maintain a demographic majority of Jews over Arabs, this does not mean Arabs aren't entitled to communal representation in parliament, or aren't allowed their institutions, schools, etc, within Israeli society.

A one state solution would be the best route for Israels survivability. Doubtless, this would receive serious international censure. Probably even sanctions. Arab countries might even threaten to attack Israel. This is not without it's risks, politically, economically, and militarily. But even then, I feel it entails less risk than a two state solution that would merely inch Hamas closer to destroying Israel.

Keept to 2 state solution, and the international rules will be very clear.

What about 1948, 1967 and 1973? What did the Arab armies think of international rules? They ignored the "international consensus" of the 1947 partition. They broke international law by blocking Israel's use of the Suez Canal and the strait of Tiran. They attacked Israel on Yom Kippur. I don't think Arabs/Islamists consider themselves a part of the international community. Take the recent UN pronouncement of entrepreneurship: It was an Israeli sponsored initiative that advocated entrepreneurship as a means to economic growth. All countries voted in favor of it, verses 22 countries, ALL ARAB countries, countries which need economic growth, against it. They are a wolf pack with their own Islamizing agenda. I don't trust them. I don't believe they would be prevented by international law from striking at Israel when they feel themselves to be power enough to do so.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Thanks for another delusional rant so twisted that I don't know what to actually respond with

It's getting out of hand with you, your hatred for the Palestinian people is blatantly obvious so is your blind support for the Zionist regime who caused this whole mess that you are blaming on Palestinian governmental factions. Yes, all parties involved have blood on their hands and are guilty of certain things, but you are so preoccupied with your hatred and bigotry based on baseless propaganda that you refuse to acknowledge the root of the problem, and guess what that is?

The creation of the illegitimate state of Israel.

You can side step all you want and point out the bad about the Palestinians, but for you to ignore the root of the problem makes it difficult to reason with you.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

As Usual , your out in Left Field.
Your title: The Shape of a Palestinian Government, denotes a discussion of just that, but all you talk about is Israel??

Should the Makeup of Germany,s Gov be Determined as to how it Affects France?
Should China,s Gov be Set Up to Appease Russia?

How about we let the Palestinian People Determine their own Gov. Even if it Pisses Off Israel.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
How about we let the Palestinian People Determine their own Gov. Even if it Pisses Off Israel.

A large section of the Palestinian people want a radical Sunni Caliphate. Why else would they be filling the ranks of the Free Syrian Army, fighting a government that formely helped them in Palestine and accepted 500,000 refugees?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
One would think that has more to do with the nearly non-existant employment opportunities, similar to why a lot of ppl join up here. But, that's just a guess.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by curiouscanadian777

Employment. That's a good one. It's called a sectarian conflict or Jihad. You may have heard of it. Tends to happen quite a lot in the middle east, by the way. I would guess religion is the bigger motivator, rather than the cushy salary and pension plan. But, that's just a guess. One wouldn't think mercenaries would martyr themselves along religious lines either. But, that's just another guess. Thanks for the post.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I am aware of that, and take your point. There seems to be very little lasting loyalty, even among same sects; and even then, usually only if/when their interests happen to line up, so not really loyalty.

I'm just saying that the unemployment rate for Palestinians, particularly in Gaza, is something like 50%, so in all seriousness, I'm sure there are more than a few of them there strictly for food in their bellies and maybe something extra to send home.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
From what I read, consumer goods and food is freely moving into Gaza now. I imagine the only thing they could bring back from Syria is blood, tears and body bags. I'm sure they'd have a better chance moving to Egypt. But to clear it up, the 500,000 I mentioned and the majority of the Palestinian fighters were already living in Syria before the Arab spring began. Those making the journey appear to be Jihadis and Islamist militias which has not been uncommon, as we see rebels coming from all over the middle east to join the fight. I think in the long run, a Caliphate is seen as the only way to combat Israel effectively and to bring together the fractitious Arab population living in western drawn up countries under the bought and paid for ruling dynasties.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join