It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean satellite 'tumbling out of control,' US officials say

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Yes we do. But it didn't have anything to do with this. It was on its scheduled October mission.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ah, yes. I couldn't recall the Heavens Above site. What a great resource. The satellite that most resembles what I saw is the Cosmos 1943 Rocket

Would have been more exciting to witness this North Korean novelty, but I'll take what I can get (still hoping for the candy, though).

Thanks for the info...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
guys you gonna hate me for my slopyness but I'm sure one of you will see what I'm talking about:
It reminds me of this remote viewing documentary I saw a while ago about this guy that used to work for the governement. If I remember correctly one of the last event preceeding "the big ending" was a "missile launch from North Korea that started a big international conflict.This event was the last he could remote see...
Just fueling, just fueling ;ppp

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Should we take bets on where it is going to hit the ground?

I say
Italy!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

You're going to have to wait a very long time to find out.
Don't be holding your breath.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Okay- LOL! Wasn't planning on holding my breath, nor thinking much about this at all today, but if making sure you don't crack a smile and laugh today is important to you, you do that!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
update on info

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

its just an excuse for the US to shoot it down

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

And the NY in me says it figures.

Still wonder what this thing really is.....they seem to send up a lot of "weather" satellites.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
One source reported this level of technology is similar to that of the United States or Soviet Union of the early 1950's. I thought that was an interesting fact, both logistically and militarily.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

This is the first successful launch. None of the others have even come close to reaching orbit, and have failed within a few seconds, to a few minutes after launch.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I know, they really are having a hard time......the cynic in me wants to know why they have this fixation on the weather.......

End sarcasm.

I don't believe for a minute it's a weather sat.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Hmmm....

If it really were a crazy world we live in perhaps the US would try vaporising the satellite with an orbiting laser, then crashing 'something' into a western urban area and planting 'North Korean satellite debris' at the site.

Voila! One steaming hot new excuse to throttle, if not invade N. Korea that the Chinese would find hard to argue against.

Thank God this isn't a crazy world....

....Doh

edit on 13-12-2012 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

I don't believe for a minute it's a weather sat.

Why? They have had floods and droughts in the past which have decimated their crop harvests, leading to widespread famine. Admittedly this is not the only factor in the cause of their famines ie economic mismanagement, but maybe they are just trying to gain a better understanding of their weather, to prevent further crop failures.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by McGinty

It would be ironic if they did that, and it ended up crashing into the Cumbre Vieja and triggered a mega-tsunami that destroyed the US east coast...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
You know, I'm happy for the N. Koreans, and I know I'm going to catch flack here for this, but it's about time they succeeded. They have been trying for a very long time to put a satellite in orbit, and sadly we live in a world where nations trying to become modernized are frowned upon for their efforts rather than praised.

I believe every nation has a right to attempt to explore and study space, as well as the Earth. A weather satellite is a means for studying the Earth's weather, and why shouldn't the N. Koreans have that right? I understand they possess nuclear weapons, but no where near the grade anyone else has. Building a rocket that can put an object in orbit, and a capable ICBM are different. Not enormously different, but if this rocket sent up a warhead it's not going to come down on anything with any degree of accuracy or success with out serious outside help. Getting an object into orbit is one thing, bringing it down on a target is a completely different set of trials to overcome.

I believe another poster mentioned the weight involved in a typical US Re-entry warhead far surpassing the carrying capacity of the Korean rocket. Korea just got an object into space, they have no idea what is needed to bring an object down with out destroying it. I sincerely doubt the Koreans could build a re-entry vehicle strong and lightweight enough, nor a small enough nuke with a high enough yield to attempt an Intercontinental attack. It's one thing to build a nuke, bury it in the ground and blow it up, and it's a completely different thing to build one with in the weight and size restrictions to put on a missile. Completely different when delivering it from orbit. See what I'm getting at here? It's not going to happen anytime soon, and I'm sure we will all be aware the moment the first prototype re-entry delivery system is tested. That little weather satellite certainly is not it.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Lowest altitude 500.24km, speed 7.76km/sec.

It's not coming down. It has seemed to go faster in orbit though, but it's definitely not coming down.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
reply to post by McGinty

It would be ironic if they did that, and it ended up crashing into the Cumbre Vieja and triggered a mega-tsunami that destroyed the US east coast...

Now that really would be a false flag of epic proportions - a Get outa jail free card to do whatever they wanted to N. Korea.

Imagine all the jobs and industry it would generate when they had to rebuild the East Coast - what a land grab that would be!

Good thing TPTB value the lives of their own citizens and the heritage of the East Coast.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

To the best of my knowledge, tumbling out of control would suggest that it wasn't inserted
into a correct orbit in the first place.
You can't just fire things into space and expect it to just settle into orbit.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Does anyone on here know if this satellite was to have a nuclear reactor powering it and a warhead was used to destroy it, could it create a Electro Magnetic Pulse big enough to affect whatever country it was over or near?
edit on 12-12-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

And isn't Kim Jong Il's son supposed to be crazier than his dad? Would he do something like this?

Sorry, I misread this post. Never mind.
edit on 13-12-2012 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join