It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean satellite 'tumbling out of control,' US officials say

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
anyone wanna track it in real time?

www.n2yo.com...

Yep. TY. I sure am. I have been tracking it for a while now. Just hope it doesn't come anywhere close to land.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

North Korean satellite 'tumbling out of control,' US officials say

Nudge, Nudge, Wink Wink...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
your welcome.
a side note i would just like to point out that their are three objects....two of which are undefined in the search. they are labeled only object a,b. you can trach them on an almost identical path as the satellite.

www.n2yo.com...

open the search results in new tabs to compare.

Im thinking its damaged and has lost pieces, i got a feeling its a catastrophic failure. wonder if its a nuclear fueled vehicle?

I will be watching this......the current track takes it directly overhead me in roughly 20 minutes.

maybe a photo op? kinda cloudy out but ill try if i see anything.
edit on 12-12-2012 by shaneslaughta because: forgot linky

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

There are not three objects. You've just zoomed out so that the satellite shows up three times on the map.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

ummm no, thats not what im talking about... its this

www.n2yo.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Oh.
In that case they are likely to be second and third stage of the rocket.
Or other pieces of the launch package.

edit on 12/12/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

they fell back to earth already and were recovered. i read that on a few pages. it might have been something launch related but i just cant help think how odd it is that they are on same trajectory.

i personally its either breaking from a complete failure or it was Taken Down.....i care not to speculate further on that though,

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
www.heavens-above.com is doing tracking on the satellite also. It's due to pass by us in the Caribbean in a few minutes. Will go outside and see if I can see it. If it's tumbling, I wonder if it will look similar to an irridium flare.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I would think that it would be quite a rapid flashing or glinting effect while its streaking by really fast.

i got my camera ready for when it comes my way.....just in case.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Everything reaching orbit in a given direction and speed will have the same orbit. Not really anything to make it break up into large pieces. I'd lean toward separation debris.

Side note, with a perigee of 500 km, it's not coming down any time soon.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It's going to pass right by me as well on the east coast of FL, however, it's completely cloud covered here.

Evildead on the first page of this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... is saying there's breaking Norad news .
NORAD says North Korean missile appears to have launched 'an object' into orbit.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Cherryontop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Side note, with a perigee of 500 km, it's not coming down any time soon.

Nope, that thing'll be there a while. Hopefully it doesn't do something else unexpected.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I just started tracking this. I don't like that it's out of control, and it's on the east coast. I live on the east coast. It's no longer over the water, and is on land. I hope it doesn't crash.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Perfect clarity here, but we didn't see it. heavens-above had it crossing Jupiter just outside of Orion from our view here. Nada. Magnitude was unknown, but couldn't have been much.

ETA: Does anyone know if it carries extended solar panels? Seems like that is what is most reflective on tumbling satellites.
edit on 12/12/12 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CatrionaBeldame

"Out of control" just means it's tumbling. It's in a fixed orbit at a high enough altitude so it will be up there for a very long time. Nothing to worry about.

edit on 12/12/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Only if it catches the sun. Its in Polar orbit so it may or may not. If it does you might see something like a neon blinka-blink, blinka-blink... as multiple facets turn over and over. Has to be above the rim of the shadow of the earth.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It seems like the elevation is dropping rapidly in the last few minutes.
I think?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah

And it will do so for a while then it will start to climb again. It is an elliptical orbit.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Okay. Thanks, Phage. That's good to hear.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
would laugh if it was actually a nuclear weapon and they just put a bit of spin on it to make people think it was out of control

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join