It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Religion Is Bad For Us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hi,
I would like you to watch some youtube clips I have collected, that in my opinion is reason enough to put religion aside, into the other fairy story we tell our children about.
please try to watch them all at first and reply after
(don't overflow this post like sometimes I do, sorry for that, some post just so... long
:lol

In this videos you can see some Islamist arguing about they believes and I really don't like this!
Unfortunately our liberal democratic laws allow this, and there is nothing we can do about it for the moment.

so lets start with Islamic moral

I know this one is an extremist, "no way" other "true" Muslims will agree, but what if this child is right...

why do I think so?

well, its not so bad

some people are already trying to bring some light into this religious mystery, what can be very hard as you can see here

and es I'm not going on Muslims in particular but all religions see this

now, why don't we forget religion and do more like he says

as English is my fourth language and I'm still practicing, I sum this post by this words

what is faith...?
Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking.
And those who preach faith and enable and elevate it
are our intellectual slaveholders, keeping mankind in a bondage
to fantasy and nonsense that has spawned and justified
so much lunacy and destruction.

Religion is dangerous
because it allows human beings
who don't have all the answers
to think that they do.

Most people would think
it's wonderful when someone says,
"l'm willing, Lord.
l'll do whatever You want me to do."

Except that since there
are no gods actually talking to us,
that void is filled in by people
with their own corruptions,
limitations and agendas.

And anyone who tells you
they just know what happens when you die,

I promise you, they don't!

How can I be so sure?
Because I don't know,
and they do not possess
mental powers that I do not.

The only appropriate attitude
for man to have about the big questions
is not the arrogant certitude
that is the hallmark of religion,
but doubt. Doubt is humble,
and that's what man needs to be,
considering that human history
is just a litany of getting # dead wrong.
@Richard Dawkins

Thank you for your time

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Religion itself did nothing. It was the men leading those religions that hurt people. Religion, by itself, has no power. Only when humans decide to turn religion to their advantage is damage done. If you want to abolish anything, abolish religious politics. Religious has fused itself into the political game, and it has been doing so for centuries. It is an astonishing political weapon.

Religion is bad for us because of the inevitable merging between the imagination of spirituality and the motivation of politics.

" Political language. . . is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. " - George Orwell

Religion may be bad for us, but spirituality isn't. That is the case I make here.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

well said.
religion is both a comfort for some and a tool for others.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by KrzYma

There are good things in holy books such as:

"God is love, he who walks in love lives in god and god in him"

"God is the most merciful"

Some people just choose to ignore these and follow the more destructive ones. Why do they hand pick? To justify their destructiveness. Even if there wasn't holy books, people will find reasons to be violent. In ancient times there were tribal wars even before the belief in religions/gods.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I no longer accept the opinions of people who have not studied comparative mythology, comparative mysticism, and comparative religion for at least a few years. Everyone has an opinion regarding religion but only comparativists such as myself have opinions worth listening to.

edit on 12-12-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Everyone has an opinion regarding religion but only comparativists such as myself have opinions worth listening to.

Well, that's not narcissistic at all.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
Everyone has an opinion regarding religion but only comparativists such as myself have opinions worth listening to.

"worth" listening to. Whether or not something is important or "worthy" is subjective. Value is a very personal thing, and if you don't that only people with your expertise is "worthy" then you will miss out on a lot. Sometimes people "outside" of the field who don't care about it can have more objective views (sometimes...)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Meh, whatever. 99% of ATSers don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to religion and myth and mysticism but they think they do. If that makes me narcissistic so be it.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by KrzYma

There are good things in holy books such as:

"God is love, he who walks in love lives in god and god in him"

"God is the most merciful"

Some people just choose to ignore these and follow the more destructive ones. Why do they hand pick? To justify their destructiveness. Even if there wasn't holy books, people will find reasons to be violent. In ancient times there were tribal wars even before the belief in religions/gods.

Please define how your statements are 'good'. Though they aren't harmful statements they do seem to be useless.

With the god is love statement, we can say, "Heat is warmth, he who walks in warmth lives in warmth and warmth in him." Actually, this makes more sense because we know what warmth is.

On that 'God is most merciful.' what does that even mean?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
On that 'God is most merciful.' what does that even mean?

exactly !!!
It doesn't mean anything and is not even truth. Es you can see in Video 6 Bible itself describes God as moralless monster killing innocent for no reason.

I know a "force" that works that way, NATURE
Nature doesn't care about living things, it provides all ingredients needed for life, but destroy it in many occasion at the same time.

believe in God, any God never fed or cure anybody but has definitely killed many many innocent beings.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Ah, I see. You just popped in to let everyone know how much you know, but you're not going to tell us your wisdom....
well, as long as you're here, I have a question or two:

Who do you respect? Do you put yourself on par with Dawkins? Elizabeth Lesser? Karen Armstrong? Robert Wright? William James?

How about a reading list?

Or at the very least a list of "worthy" authors we can research! Even one website would be helpful! How about religioustolerance.org? They're pretty respectable, in my opinion....

Surely someone you admire must be more forthcoming than you are....

and willing to share their "knowledge" with us peon "non-experts" (who are of course, according to you, meritless, notwithstanding the number of years we've been studying comparative religions, mythology, and mysticism -- just in case you were nervous no one understood your subjective self-acclaim).

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I knew there was a reason I like you. Always so honest and open.

edit on 13-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
I no longer accept the opinions of people who have not studied comparative mythology, comparative mysticism, and comparative religion for at least a few years. Everyone has an opinion regarding religion but only comparativists such as myself have opinions worth listening to.

OK, I'm listening...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Here another good example why religion is bad for us
( "Greatest I am" shared this link on another thread, thank you!)

I can't stop shaking my head after this... this is just sad!!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hey everyone! I chose this thread because I thought it would be a good one to post something that is against what people think the bible really is.

When I posted the syek, read backwards. The computer got on me! Then it started "loading" me... who knows what loading is... Then it started saying loading with everything I did. Then it started making vague insinuations about the book at the end of the bible. So I then came up with this idea that the book at the end of the bible is made for "loading"!

You can do all of the scriptures on land like you are demanding something. This something is either going to hell ( if there is a god) or getting power from the square that is written in the book at the end of the bible. I wouldn't suggest people trying to understand the book at the end of the bible and posting information about it because it'll be on your head and I don't think they'll let just anybody do that.

I believe this is how the 2 people in the book at the end of the bible get their fire powers from, I am very sure. The power comes from the computer I believe.

They might try to kill me for this but I have to let this information out!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationsDivad

sorry, I don't get it... are you drunk or stoned ??

top topics

join